Alligator i-links - Oppinions of them please.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dtm1

by dtm1

Is there anybody running i-links at the moment?

What do people think of them?, gold would look great on my bike i just have never seen these in the flesh or used cables like these before.

- Before i only found them on e-bay with Nino but there is a UK seller now so i am tempted to try them - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ready-to-Ride- ... idZ2QQtZkm

Let me know your views guys.

Jase

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpap89

by mpap89

i love mine. i have them in black on my mt. bike. the total housing for my bike was around 50 grams. so its super light. i highly suggest it.
Michael

SDP

by SDP

do you have to run the outer full length on gear cables ??
its just i want to swap my DA gear cables but i got NOKON already on R/der ...

would this be ok ?? are i-link innrs ok with nokon

Mustard

by Mustard

Hi. I used them for 2 days on my mtb before i dismantled my whole bike to be sold.

Apparently. People'd go for the i-links for 2 reasons

1) Its anodized colours. (gold as uve said)
2) Its superlight weight.

I have heard complains about it though. From people using Full suspension bikes that is. That it rattles onto the frame too much producing an irritating sound. I dunno perhaps they went on trail and did alot of ups and down and bumps. But for my mtb, i was running on slicks on the road. So that'll be a different story.

I hope this helps (:
- W.h

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I really like mine. They are light, easier to set up than Nokons and dont squeek like Nokons. Its worth a try
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

I jsut got a set a week ago and I am as impressed as one can be with cables. They are very light, having generic cables and housing before hand I was shocked at how light they were. Unlike Nokons, the I-links are all linked together, so you don't have to worry about spilling them or waste time putting them on one by one and have them all slip off accidentally after the last one. The inner liner feels nice, but my only gripe is that it kinks really easily if outside the housing, especially since it is coiled when packaged (no other way to really do it though). Luckily the kinks were in places where it didn't really matter to me since it was cut off.

I can't speak for my shifting performance right now since my ancient Ultegra group isn't as smooth as it used to be, Shifting in the front is definitely smoother, rear feels about the same. Braking on the other hand is amazing, I feel like more power is going to the brakes.

Get them, you won't regret it. They look great, are light and work flawlessly, what more can you ask for?

Mustard wrote:I have heard complains about it though. From people using Full suspension bikes that is. That it rattles onto the frame too much producing an irritating sound. I dunno perhaps they went on trail and did alot of ups and down and bumps. But for my mtb, i was running on slicks on the road. So that'll be a different story.

I hope this helps (:
- W.h

run full housing and zip ties. Plenty of rubber covers are given to you that you should be able to cover all parts of the frame where you cannot use zip ties.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

I have them on my Scott Spark w/ Shimano XTR and Look 585 w/ Campy Record...PowerCordz cables on both bikes. Take your time to install them and you wont regret it. On my Spark, changing both shifting housings from the ones supplied by PowerCordz to i-links saved me 40-45 grams. Do keep in mind that the Spark uses a full housing (from shifter to derailleur) for the rear der. I wasn't sure about the looks but the black ones really look good on both bikes. Bends are shorter/lighter as these bend more easy than regular cable housing. Performance wise, I don't have any issues and shifting is very good.

Raxel

by Raxel

Running I-link for one of my bike and nokons for three other bikes.
IMO the nokon looks much better than i-links, and it is somewhat easier to install. Each links of i-link cable are coupled loosely, so you have to compress them before you cut the inner housing.

However i-links are lighter, and performance wise both housings are quite good if installed correctly.

BmanX

by BmanX

I have used both the I-links and Nokon's and agree with most on the site that the I-Links are lighter and easier to set up.

The Nokon's are not that much harder to set up and I have never really understood why people say they are hard to set up or install.

I like the overall look of the Nokon's better and when I was running Dura-Ace shifters, I could do the shifter bend under the bar tape which I could never do with the I-Link.

Both are better than stock cables as far as I am concerned but it depends on the application that you are looking to do.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

bman88 wrote:I have used both the I-links and Nokon's and agree with most on the site that the I-Links are lighter and easier to set up.

The Nokon's are not that much harder to set up and I have never really understood why people say they are hard to set up or install.

I like the overall look of the Nokon's better and when I was running Dura-Ace shifters, I could do the shifter bend under the bar tape which I could never do with the I-Link.

Both are better than stock cables as far as I am concerned but it depends on the application that you are looking to do.

This is not really an issue, I have a single and a tandem with DA/iLinks run under the tape. No issues whatsoever.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

WheresWaldo wrote:This is not really an issue, I have a single and a tandem with DA/iLinks run under the tape. No issues whatsoever.

the issue is that it doesn't really look that great, sure it doesn't look that great with the cables out in front, but it looks even weirder with loops. I tried it and was able to do it easily with the I-links, but didn't like the look so went back to regular.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Szczuldo wrote:
WheresWaldo wrote:This is not really an issue, I have a single and a tandem with DA/iLinks run under the tape. No issues whatsoever.

the issue is that it doesn't really look that great, sure it doesn't look that great with the cables out in front, but it looks even weirder with loops. I tried it and was able to do it easily with the I-links, but didn't like the look so went back to regular.

You know what they say about beauty... Personally I don't think they look any worse than Nokons with the loop, I have one bike built exactly that way.

bman88 did not say he wouldn't do it, he said he couldn't do it. I said he was wrong.

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Juanmoretime wrote:I love the I-Links. Instead of re-typing everything take a look at this thread.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=49906

JMT, it was because of something you wrote about iLinks at that other Road Bike forum that I bought my first set of iLinks. I have since used them on three different bikes Road, Tandem, MTB.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Can anyone comment on whether the I-links come with enough beads to handle a fully-housed rear-brake? Also are the shift and brake I-link outers the same, so could one supplement from one to the other? Finally, do they have special end pieces for the under-bar-tape section (like Nokon do)? If not, do you feel the lumpy shape of the I-links through the tape?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Birch

by Birch

Are you stuck with Power Cordz or can you use Gore Ride On as well?