What's the point in submitting weights...

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
onyourleft

by onyourleft

...when they don't get posted in the lists? I've sent in several times the weights for various Campy wheelsets a few weeks ago, and was told by e-mail that they would soon be posted. But they're not up yet.

What gives Florian?? I'm very careful about how I weigh items, how I report the weights, and use as accurate a scale as I can find.
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

Tippster

by Tippster

I don't know any of the mods personally or Florian. Just wanted to make that clear.

I've found this website really helpful in pulling together advice on building a lightweight, but strong and durable mtb that I use both on the road and off-road.

I've found the mods and Florian really helpful. But lets face it the mods do their bit (very well I may add), but likely have day jobs and do the role on a volenteer basis. Weights I've posted in the past have take between 2-3weeks to appear.

I find it really concerning when people repeatedly moan and complain about the level of service from a website provided for free. I would suggest if you had a concern, that you PM'd Florian or one of the mods directly.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Here's a tip for you Tippster: read my post again. If you did, you wouldn't moan and complain that I should contact the admin., because I have done so a 3 or 4 times. I'm "concerned" that though I did get one reply that the weights would be posted "probably over the week-end", and they were not, I didn't get replies from follow-up e-mail's. Maybe you should be "concerned" about that?

The odd thing is, a few weights that I submitted were actually posted within a week (one for skewers, two for rim strips, one for tires), but the two weights for the wheels (one a corrected "claimed" weight for '03 Neutrons, one a "real" weight for '03 Zondas), a "real" weight for a Brooks saddle, and a "real" weight for a Centaur cassette, have not been posted yet and it's been several weeks. All of these weights were confirmed from the mfg's catalog specs, (I have the '03 Campy catalog here) and/or proper weighing on a suitably accurate scale.

So of course, I wondered why the other weights I submitted can be posted, but not the wheel's weights. Makes me think that maybe Florian doesn't want to list the correct weights for some reason, or hasn't taken the time to confirm them or whatever they do before posting weights.

As for your comments, you should get the facts before jumping to conclusions.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I think your answers are in the FAQ
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Frankie - B wrote:I think your answers are in the FAQ

Why would I need to look at a FAQ now? I am aware of the requirements for submitting weights, and evidently at least some of the ones I gave were accepted. I've not been told that any of the weights that have not been posted were a problem.

:roll:

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

I'm currently burried under 900 submissions.
When I sit down on weekends I usually can review 200 weights, which is about the same number which comes in per week.
If you think now "why doesn't about the same number appear as new items every weekend?":
many submissions are duplicates, which I add as averaged values.

@onyourleft:
the Campy wheels are still in the database, like submissions from many other people which are mailing me frequently.
I get your mails and read them, but often I don't have the time to reply, sorry! :(

I'm currently finishing work on the long-announced on-scale-photo-feature, which should help me in reviewing weights faster. It will be also an additional proof for me and for visitors which have doubts in certain weights.
Image Image

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Ok, Flo, my bad for being so grumpy. :oops: I didn't know you were THAT buried in data, so I'll leave you alone and let you work!

But I'm glad that you replied. Just so you know, there are lots of us out here that appreciate your efforts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slowman

by Slowman

Hip Hip Hooray for Florian! Great site, I have used it many times for a paper configuration of a bike I am building to get a rough idea of the end weight, to see if I am on target or whether I should forget about it. For the budget and weight conscious this is a great site. This site is my eBay shopping pal.
witness the fitness, the profit in living, one hope one quest