Max heart rate...

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hepburn

by hepburn

So I've been reading a lot lately about max heart rate, zones, that sort of thing.

Everything I have read suggests that you can only maintain 90% max for a very short period of time.

However, this weekend, I turned myself inside-out on a training ride. I managed to hang when I should have been dropped.

Looking at my heart-rate data, I maintained over 90% max for more than 10 minutes. That's not my theoretical max either. I've been wearing a heart rate monitor for the past 6 months and my highest recorded HR is 187.

I found a New York Times article suggesting the max heart rate thing is kinda bogus. Basically, the article says if you are motivated enough, you can maintain a higher HR than what's "possible." It's an interesting read.

So... has anyone had similar data?

(see attachment for screenshot)
Attachments
ouch.jpg
-hepburn

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyppen

by Cyppen

There are no timeline on your data. So have u hold it for an hour or?

I can maintain 85-95% over 15-18 min.

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

90% of HRmax is, for me anyhow, somewhere around my threshold, and on a good day I can stay there for an hour or so... As a junior I did individual timetrials, lasting for 30 minutes, with an average heartrate of 193 or something like that. That would be 95% of HRmax. I'll see if I can find the data from those rides, but I'm not sure I have them.
Hell yeah!

Koen

by Koen

it all depends on where you treshold lies. probably you're very well trained and talented, so that your treshold is at 90-95% of max hr and it is possible to maintain an effort at your treshold for quite a long time (over 10min when properly trained). so, nothing abnormal there

max hr is not bogus, that 90% rule is!
Gewoon bluve goan!

OJ

by OJ

I second the previous posters. I've done ~60min TT's at 90% of my max HR. Actually I do my 20min L4 intervals at that HR, or at least the second interval will be at that HR and sometimes even more.

That 90% theory might not be bogus all the time. If I would try to jack my HR up to 90% max during the first 5-10mins, I would probably die 15-20mins into the interval. If I would just stare at my HR and try to get it up there as fast as possible, I would need to push so big power, that I couldn't stay there for longer than 10mins at best.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

Yeah, I think that is somewhat important. When doing intervals, ther is a big difference between going full out from the start, hitting 90% after 30 seconds and then having trouble, compared to having a slow and steady increase in heartrate.

If you're heartratecurve is flat at 90%, it's a big chance that your wattagecurve would look like a cooldown with the wattage way high at the beginning, and then way to low at the end.
Hell yeah!

John979

by John979

EspenBjørgan wrote:Yeah, I think that is somewhat important. When doing intervals, ther is a big difference between going full out from the start, hitting 90% after 30 seconds and then having trouble, compared to having a slow and steady increase in heartrate.

If you're heartratecurve is flat at 90%, it's a big chance that your wattagecurve would look like a cooldown with the wattage way high at the beginning, and then way to low at the end.

Very good point. Here is data to elaborate from a 60 minute TT:

Average for the duration: 163 BPM, 319 watts, 89.6% of max HR.
Average for the first 30 minutes: 329watts, 160 BPM, 87.9% of max HR.
Average for the last 30 minutes: 310 watts, 166 BPM, 91.2% of max HR.
John979

hepburn

by hepburn

Cyppen wrote:There are no timeline on your data.

Sorry about that! That last bit of the graph is about 10 minutes.

I'm very surprised by your comments. It's cool to see how hard people can push themselves.

Thanks for all your input.
Attachments
ouch.jpg
-hepburn

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Max heart rate certainly isn't bogus - but your previously determined max heart rate may be more of an issue rather than natural talent in being able to sustain 90%. Your value of your max heart rate is the highest heart rate you've seen, but not necessarily the highest heart rate you can accheive, which is what your max HR value should be - probabbly because every time you hit the high HR's you've already been riding for 30, 45 minutes or what have you, so your 'max hr' has been determined when you are in a state of fatigue. If you did a proper max hr test (I don't mean to be crass, but if you do, please do it on a trainer and please have a bucket ready) you'll probably find a higher value for your max HR. Which would explain some things.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

mattr

by mattr

Skillgannon wrote:If you did a proper max hr test (I don't mean to be crass, but if you do, please do it on a trainer and please have a bucket ready) you'll probably find a higher value for your max HR. Which would explain some things.

Two riders i have run MHR tests on have suddenly found that their MHR have jumped by 10-15 BPM.

Must be me screaming in their ear that does it.

Just getting out and riding hard will not neccasarily give you a true MHR.

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

hepburn wrote:I'm very surprised by your comments. It's cool to see how hard people can push themselves.

Thanks for all your input.

Wanna know the trick? Don't check your heartrate when you're digging deep. And always remember that the more it hurts for you, the more it hurts for the other guys.
Hell yeah!

fitty4

by fitty4

I´m going to hijack the thread a little.

In winter my max pulse was 179 bpm now I can´t get it up to more than 169 bpm. I´ve heard that your max pulse can lower a little when you get in better shape which I am. Does this seem right that my max hr has dropped 10 bpm or am I simply not pushing it hard enough? I do my own max hr test after at least 30 min warmup on a hill (500m) and sprint at the top

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Herein lies the problem with HR. Whether your max HR has gone up or down is inconsequential. What does matter is whether you are putting out more power and that you are faster because of it.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

dee

by dee

fitty4 wrote:I´m going to hijack the thread a little.

In winter my max pulse was 179 bpm now I can´t get it up to more than 169 bpm. I´ve heard that your max pulse can lower a little when you get in better shape which I am. Does this seem right that my max hr has dropped 10 bpm or am I simply not pushing it hard enough? I do my own max hr test after at least 30 min warmup on a hill (500m) and sprint at the top

Probably becasue your blood volume has increased.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

fitty4 wrote:I´m going to hijack the thread a little.

Possibly over training? Check your resting hr, if it is elevated then you probably are overtrained. Or another way to check is take 3-4 days off the bike and then maybe an easy day or two and then do a check during an interval. If it is back up in the upper 170's, you may need more rest days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com