HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Ridley Sizing
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:04 am 

Hi,

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the sizing/geometry of the Ridley Noah:

http://www.ridley-bikes.com/bikes.php

I know there's a lot of variables, besides height, but in general what would people consider the right size for someone with a height of 175 cm?

I'm have just test rode a medium Ridley Noah which has an effective Top Tube of 565mm. My current bike which is a Cervelo R3 is a 54cm with a 545mm top tube.

I actually felt more comfortable and less stretched out on the Ridley Noah than my R3. I'm wondering if this would be because of the 17.5 head tube and 73.5 angle?

Post subject: Re: Ridley Sizing
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:37 am 

Saul wrote:
Hi,

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the sizing/geometry of the Ridley Noah:

http://www.ridley-bikes.com/bikes.php

I know there's a lot of variables, besides height, but in general what would people consider the right size for someone with a height of 175 cm?

I'm have just test rode a medium Ridley Noah which has an effective Top Tube of 565mm. My current bike which is a Cervelo R3 is a 54cm with a 545mm top tube.

I actually felt more comfortable and less stretched out on the Ridley Noah than my R3. I'm wondering if this would be because of the 17.5 head tube and 73.5 angle?

I've never ridden a Ridley, but I was considering one a while ago... too hard to find the one I wanted locally, so I crossed them off the list. I remember thinking as I researched them that everyone at Ridley must be a giant... the sizes are all huge!

I'm interested to hear that you felt less stretched out on the size M Ridley than on your size 54 Cervelo... most companies consider a 56 or 57 top tube a large, and you would never be fitted for a large at your height... I guess head tube length and angle must be the reason for your increased comfort- although I still think that top tube is pretty long for you... perhaps it was a combination of Cervelo's geometry not being a good match for you, and that particular Ridley coincidentally being set up just right for you...

My feeling is that you'd be even comfier on a size S Ridley, properly fitted to you... but who knows... I have a buddy my height, roughly 5' 11" (180.3 cm) who loves his size 59... meanwhile, I've always been fitted to 54/55's, and found them perfect... different strokes, as they say.

Post subject: Re: Ridley Sizing
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:37 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:38 pm 

You should be riding a small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:31 pm 

Height is only a small part of the necessary fit information. Much more important is an actual saddle height or at least your cycling inseam. An accurate saddle height is best, since two people with the same inseam may prefer saddle heights that differ by 2cm, perhaps more.

A lot of people of your height will have shorter legs than I do, at only 168cm tall.

Since you have an existing bike and know your saddle height, stem length, stem angle and the total head tube length, with the headset and spacers, it should be simple to compare the reach, stem angle and spacers setup on any other frame you choose, but you must post the information to get some help.

A frame with a 56.5cm TT and the same 73 degree STA (it's not 73.5) would be 2.5cm longer in reach than your Cervelo, if the saddle was set to the same fore/aft position and the stem length was the same. With the tall head tube, the bars were probably setup a lot higher than your current bike, which led to the feeling of greater comfort.

In general, the medium Ridley would be too large. You need a small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:53 pm 

I'd say small too - most likely.
I am 173cm and I ride Ridley Helium Small, almost got Med. and I am
glad I didn't (thanks to the board) - head tube is too tall.

Be very ware of seatclamp design. Even though you might plan for
a generous setback of the saddle the seatclamp might not allow it
and being integrated seat mast you have no other options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:59 pm 

DaveS wrote:
Height is only a small part of the necessary fit information. Much more important is an actual saddle height or at least your cycling inseam. An accurate saddle height is best, since two people with the same inseam may prefer saddle heights that differ by 2cm, perhaps more.

A lot of people of your height will have shorter legs than I do, at only 168cm tall.

Since you have an existing bike and know your saddle height, stem length, stem angle and the total head tube length, with the headset and spacers, it should be simple to compare the reach, stem angle and spacers setup on any other frame you choose, but you must post the information to get some help.

A frame with a 56.5cm TT and the same 73 degree STA (it's not 73.5) would be 2.5cm longer in reach than your Cervelo, if the saddle was set to the same fore/aft position and the stem length was the same. With the tall head tube, the bars were probably setup a lot higher than your current bike, which led to the feeling of greater comfort.

In general, the medium Ridley would be too large. You need a small.

Hi DaveS,

Thanks for the reply. I was probably trying to keep it a bit simple, but i can definately expand further on my measurements.

My inseam is 84cm.

My saddle height from the BB on the Cervelo is 72.5cm. I have been fitted several times and people try to put me up another 1cm but it causes me all sorts of strife.

My current cervelo has a 90mm stem +6 degrees and i also ride the FSA Compact Bars so as to have a shorter reach/drop. The head tube set including spacers measurers 22cm.

The Ridley i test rode has a 110 mm stem + 6 degrees.

I think your correct about the taller top tube making it more comfortable. Just so we are clear, whilst i have said i felt comfortable on the Ridley my thoughts were that i would have to still put on a shorter stem and have some type of compact bar on the ridley.

When i said 73.5 degrees i was referring to the head tube angle. The STA is 73 degrees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:31 am 

With a saddle to BB of 72.5, a medium would look well, not fast at all :lol:

Anyway, my team mate is taller and rides with a 72 saddle/BB, I ride with a 71saddle/BB and am 1cm shorter than you, and the small feels perfect with a 120mm stem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:03 am 

best steering bike tgat I have ever been on!

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:03 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:11 pm 

Saul wrote:

Hi DaveS,

Thanks for the reply. I was probably trying to keep it a bit simple, but i can definately expand further on my measurements.

My inseam is 84cm.

My saddle height from the BB on the Cervelo is 72.5cm. I have been fitted several times and people try to put me up another 1cm but it causes me all sorts of strife.

My current cervelo has a 90mm stem +6 degrees and i also ride the FSA Compact Bars so as to have a shorter reach/drop. The head tube set including spacers measurers 22cm.

The Ridley i test rode has a 110 mm stem + 6 degrees.

I think your correct about the taller top tube making it more comfortable. Just so we are clear, whilst i have said i felt comfortable on the Ridley my thoughts were that i would have to still put on a shorter stem and have some type of compact bar on the ridley.

When i said 73.5 degrees i was referring to the head tube angle. The STA is 73 degrees.

The HTA makes almost no difference at all in the reach - usually on the order of 1-2mm per degree, compared to 8-10mm per degree for changes in the STA. It's the seat tube angle you need to watch for significant differences.

When you're test riding bikes, they should be setup as closely as possible to your current ride, or you get false impressions. Bars that are set a lot higher can allow you to tolerate more reach, so that's not a surprise that the Ridely felt comfortable.

Just to empahsize the difference in your setup to mine, I'm only 168cm tall (7cm less), but my inseam is only 1cm shorter and my saddle height is 1cm higher, at 73.5cm. Your saddle height definitely seems low, but not excessively low, if you pedal with a relatively horizontal foot. Raising the saddle 2-3mm at a time over a period of several weeks might be worth trying.

The reach on a 54cm Cervelo is nearly the same as my 51cm LOOK 585. I use a 110mm x 73 degree stem with a saddle to bar drop in the 11-12cm range, with short reach bars. I've also got a long railed saddle pushed nearly all the way back with a 25mm setback post.

IMO, if you've got to use a short stem and short reach bars, the frame is too long for you. You would need a small sized Ridley.

If you can't tolerate very much drop from the saddle to the bars, consider a change to your saddle fore/aft position. The further back you get, the less weight on the hands and better balanced you will be over the saddle. This can make both more drop and reach tolerable. It's common to move the saddle forward or use a short stem when the reach feels too long or low, but moving the saddle forward is the often the opposite of what really needs to be done.