Everyday wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tirvine24

by tirvine24

Hi everyone,

My first post :D

I'm currently riding a Kiron Scandium 2009

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Kiron ... 360037396/

Which comes with the Easton EA50 wheelet

http://www.eastonbike.com/PRODUCTS/WHEE ... %2709.html

My bike is used as an all year round fast commuter, weekend and midweek rider and summer tt all in oner.

I want a lighter and stronger Wheelset than the Eastons.

So far I'm thinking Swiss DT R1.1 Rims
DT Aerolite Spokes and Alloy Nipples
DA 7900 hubs with lighter skewers.

This works out about £900 or $1700 and about 1350g

Any thoughts or other suggestions around same budget??

sebastian_nurmela

by sebastian_nurmela

for comuting it dosent matter but the tires, cus you dosent want a puncture. keep what you have, then for the rest, aero and light. get what you can afford

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

£900 for a pair of DT 1.1s with aerolites on DA hubs!!! :shock:
I think you've been seriously misled mate.
Who the hell is quoting you that price for a pair of wheels of that calibre??
Cheers, Rob.
Pedalling Law Student.

legs 11

by legs 11

1350g for that build is not anywhere near realistic either.
No where near.
Pedalling Law Student.

CounTeR

by CounTeR

DT R1.1/Aerolite/Dura-Ace is like a $700 wheelset. Whoever told you they were more than that is full of crap.
Everything else is Fascist.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Where are you based. PM legs, he knows his stuff.

zach

by zach

if your willing to spend $1700 on wheels just buy a set for racing and use the eastons for daily use.

tirvine24

by tirvine24

Rims are £55 each from total cycling

7900 Rear Hub is £143

7900 Front hub is £81

Spokes £50

Ok so where did I get £900 from, can you tell it was bedtime when I posted this lol!!

Looks like £400 or $800

Are any of the Reynolds Rims any good for everyday use I love the new KOM rims very light weight.

I don't really mind how much I spend as long as they are lightweight and durable enough to take everyday riding for a few years.

Phill P

by Phill P

Surely you can get 7800/7850 hubs really cheap.

Given you are in England you would likely prefer the all weather braking of Al, so I'd stick with that for everyday wheels. Unless you are either super committed to cycling, or have a ton of cash to spend, stick with Al. The pros, as far as I'm aware, tend to ride box rims 32 3x for thier training wheels, and they don't have to pay for them! Something to be said for reliability!

OK so the EA50s aren't the lightest, but for commuting and do everything wheels they are pretty good. I'd be getting a good set for a weekend wheels, then keep the EA50s til they start braking down. But then you have to consider your brake pad setup when swapping back and forth.

legs 11

by legs 11

You may want to look at a lighter hubset if you are serious about shedding weight in the wheels department, the DA hubs are pretty porky when compared to say...Tunes or extralites.
Open pro's built on Tunes with DT revs would be a good wheelset and be just about as light as an everyday clincher can go.
I wouldn't say a wheelset using the KOM rims could be described as an allrounder or everyday wheel unless the rider is very light and the sort of guy who rides very carefully.
The wheels you originally described will be in the high 1500g range without skewers, that's 28/32h and a 2X and 3X pattern.
To get an alloy clincher set down to around 1350g is going to take some big money and may well prove to be less then reliable.
Pedalling Law Student.

theremery

by theremery

soul s2.0s could be a option at the 1350g ish sort of weight. I wouldn't go AC for the uk (not unless you have shares in a bearing company....no functional seals and only for sub 85kg riders for ac 350s....but they would cheaply hit the weight target).....but personally, I'd be grabing some customs (see legs for them) or monchaserals (there is a lightish version...I'll see if I can find a link)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

record

by record

Ceramic Open Pro, DA hubs and some strong spokes - the ultimate training/everyday wheelset.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

mrfish

by mrfish

Define everyday...it's horses for courses...

I ride Mavic Cosmos wheels with so far unpuncturable 28mm tyres on my day to day commuting / nasty weather bike and expensive Edge carbon clinchers and Ultremos on my nice day / event bike. I also have a couple of other bikes with Campy Proton, Neutron, Shimano R500 and American Classic CR420 wheels.

Broadly the aluminium box section rimmed wheels are all about the same to ride with marginal differences in weight / stiffness / acceleration / hub sealing. On that basis the cheapest ones (the R500s by a long shot) are the best and can be treated as disposable at about £70 per pair, i.e. not much more than the tyres! The CR420s are somewhere in the middle as they are faster, lighter but more flexy. The Edge carbon clinchers are best of all worlds.

Funnily enough at the weekend I did a sportif on the rain bike with Cosmos wheels as it was p-ing down. Bike was fine to ride, perhaps a bit slower, but I wasn't worried about trashing it and the 28mm tyres didn't bounce about over the rutted roads. Bonus was that I didn't puncture whereas it seemed like a large part of the field ended up spending time by the side of the road with a pump in their hands.

IMHO ride what you've got as they are more than enough for training. A new pair of clinchers will be sparkly for a week or so, but I seriously doubt whether the marginal improvement is worthwhile if you are on a budget.

Better to save up for some mid-deep lighter rims for faster riding. These could either be Mavic Cosmic deep rimmed wheels, American Classic CR420s, Zipp tubulars or Edge tubulars or clinchers depending on your weight, desire for lightweight and budget.

sawyer

by sawyer

I am going to say something heretical ... that this "traditional, handbuilt = training wheels" thing is way overdone these days. Why? Look no further than that we are suckers for tradition and doing what the pros do.

Something like a set of Shamal Ultras will be coming in just over 1400g, have superb hubs, be more aerodynamic than they handbuilts mentioned here, and be at least as solid. Ok, parts are a bit more tricky, but if you have a campag dealer nearby then spokes are only like £5 a pop if you EVER need to replace one as campag wheels have a phenomenal reliability record.

Nothing wrong with all the "Open Pro on this or that ..." discussion, but just make sure you get a good wheelbuilder ... QC is a lot more variable than is Mr Campagnolo's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tirvine24

by tirvine24

Ok so you convinced me to keep the Eastons for commuting/training till they wear out then get something like a Mavic Open Pro/DT Swiss kit to replace them.

That way I can train and commute without worrying about wheel maintenance or huge expense if I break them.

Will get myself a nice set for day.

Thanks for all the advice so far, guess I got too caught up in looking for a one set does all wheel.

So my next question is whats a good £1000/$2000 wheel for race season. I race hilly tt's mostly.