FSA-SRM 2009

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

johnnyha

by johnnyha

From their blog, it is clear that SRM have a few new FSA PMs coming out next year. I'd be interested in details of these, particularly in relation to the ease of changing between bikes.

I will have one team bike with Campy, and another training bike and TT bike with Shimano next year, and would like to get an SRM that fits with both. I've read that people have had issues with FSA cranksets in the past, but it may be that the new systems have dealt with said issues?

Before anyone says, 'Get the DA version', I would prefer to avoid the aesthetic conflict of a bike with a Campy groupset and DA chainset. Call me a prima donna and I'll agree :?

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

From Anton's Eurobike 2008 gallery:
New SRM FSA K-Force Light Road
For higer resolution image click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30204142@N ... 7130784965

Last edited by 2 wheels on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rasmus
Administrator

by Rasmus

I think I have pictures of those from Interbike actually. Don't think any version - except the wireless - is going to be easier to move to a different bike.
- Papa R. Fresh

bcheung

by bcheung

son of a ***** my SRM is now outdated

peterpen

by peterpen

1) you won't know if the past issues with FSA SRM's have been resolved (or if there are new issues) until people have been using these for a while.

2) wireless SRMs do not appear to be 100% sorted yet. There is a firmware update in the works, but I would not advise anybody to go wireless at this time.

3) wired SRMs are just as easy to move from one bike to the other, you just need a wiring harness on each bike.

4) This new FSA SRM appears to be heavier than the standard Professional SRM - which costs $800 less.

ms6073

by ms6073

3) wired SRMs are just as easy to move from one bike to the other, you just need a wiring harness on each bike.

Not true for those moving from MegaExo to frameset with press-fit bottom bracket standard.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

bcheung

by bcheung

1) I've been using my wireless FSA SRM for a while now and have had no issues.
2) See #1. No issues at all. It's paired to a Garmin 705.
3) Can't comment.
4) Can't comment.

Rasmus
Administrator

by Rasmus

- Papa R. Fresh

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

peterpen wrote:4) This new FSA SRM appears to be heavier than the standard Professional SRM - which costs $800 less.

What makes you say the FSA K-Force Light version appears to be heavier than the SRM Professional version?

Claimed weight from SRM:
SRM FSA K-Force Light: 908 gram including BB
SRM Professional: 827 gram excluding BB.

908 g - 827 g = 81 g

So you need to find a square taper BB lighter than 88 g to make the SRM Professional setup lighter than the SRM FSA setup. I'm not aware of any square taper BB that light.

A Token square taper BB with Titanium axle has a claimed weight of 155 g.

827 g + 155 g = 982 g

It does however seem a bit stange the K-Force light is claimed to be that heavy, because the old SRM FSA version has a claimed weight of only 786 g: http://www.srm.de/englisch/prod_srmts_str_fsa.html
But maybe the wireless technology and liklkely larger battery makes it that much heavier. But then with the wireless version you also save the weight of the wiring harness.

peterpen

by peterpen

2 wheels wrote:...
What makes you say the FSA K-Force Light version appears to be heavier than the SRM Professional version?...

My bad - didn't notice the BB was included.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

They have a Gossmer version as well coming out. ~$2500 for the whole thing. Granted its about 1000g but...............

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

peterpen

by peterpen

STARNUT wrote:They have a Gossmer version as well coming out. ~$2500 for the whole thing. Granted its about 1000g but...............

Starnut

Really? That would be their cheapest by $500.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

The SRM FSA Gossamer is also shown is Rasmus' gallery.
Clime weights:
SRM FSA Gossamer compact: 966g (incl. BB)
SRM FSA Gossamer standard: 1030g (incl. BB)

wrestlr

by wrestlr

So is the gossamer going to be 2500 retail for complete with Powercontrol? Also will it be wired or wireless for this price? Thanks.

ms6073

by ms6073

Not an answer, and someone will surely correct me if this is incorrect but I was under the impression that once the wireless PM cranksets were introduced, SRM were no longer going to produce wired versions.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com