Aqua sure application tips?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jonathan Allan

by Jonathan Allan

Just got some Aquasure for the side walls of my Dugast's , how and how much of this stuff should I use & do I need protective gloves when using it?
the only way is up

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

do this in your garden, otherwise you're high after 15 minutes...
i used a plastic glove and smeared the aqua sure with the index finger.
i applied a line similar to the toothpaste i out on the brush for maybe 20 cm, smeared it with the finger so the i had a similar looking film on it, then made the next 20 cm. it gets hard quickly, that's why i did not apply it round the whole sidewall in one piece.
i usually did all my wheels on one side, waited 24 hours, then did all the other sidewalls, sitting on a small chair and having the wheel on my upper leg. it's harder to wash it off fingers and t-shirts than tubular glue, so use old clothes.
ALWAYS close the tube while you're smearing, otherwise the aquasure inside the tube dries out and you can throw it into the carbage can...
when it's dry it can be removed with a thin, sharp knife quite easily from the rim, because you can't really prevent the aquasure getting smeared onto the rim.
if you haven't glued the tubs yet: for me it was easier to apply it when the tub was alone, not glued onto a rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Müsing

by Müsing

simon, do you think it is really necessary to use?

trukweaz

by trukweaz

I have aqua sealed all my dugast, and they look much nicer for longer. plus the water wont seep into the sidewall (cotton) as quick.

if you have left over aqua seal. wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer, it will forever there.

Too White

by Too White

It is critical to the lifespan of the tire to use this product. It really helps protect the sidewall from deteriorating prematurely, especially if you ride in conditions that are not absolutely perfect. I think it would help kee pthe base tape from seperating as early too. Besides, who doesn't want to show a clean pair of tires?

deejay

by deejay

Is this stuff better than Bison liquid rubber?

crossjunkie

by crossjunkie

Yes, it is better than Bison as it seems to go on easier. An alternative for UK residents (maybe available elsewhere?) is something called Seam Grip which I got from my local camping shop - used for seam sealing and mending tents/waterproofs. A little more liquid than Aquasure which actually helps spreading.

CrossClimber

by CrossClimber

What is the best place/online shop to purchase Aquaseal in Europe ?
seems to be a typical north american product :?

Jonathan Allan

by Jonathan Allan

In the Uk I get mine from Zepnat.
the only way is up

CrossClimber

by CrossClimber

Thx.
Ordered the lasts :wink:

CrossClimber

by CrossClimber

simon wrote:do this in your garden, otherwise you're high after 15 minutes...
i used a plastic glove (...)
if you haven't glued the tubs yet: for me it was easier to apply it when the tub was alone, not glued onto a rim.

I've done the way you've described. Thanks a lot.
I read the pain you had with aquasure going on the rim, so I applied a "special curve" tape on the rim before gluing/aquasuring and i had no problem.

It look likes that (i took the tip from julmtb forum, not my wheels on the picture) :

In fact it was just 1000x harder to put the tubular on the rim (the final 15 cms) than put the aquasure :?
If somes have real advices to put the tubular on the rim without destroying is arms, i'd glad to learn (i think it was more painful to mount that s*** than climbing the Rionda including the final gravel part :lol: )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Anaszi

by Anaszi

About this stuff, is it of any use to keep tan sidewalled (road) clinchers looking fresh? I love the looks of them, but after a rainy ride.. not so much.