Cervelo R3 SL

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sacredsurfer

by sacredsurfer

Hi. Been reading and asking a few questions but finally here is my Cervelo R3 SL. Been a LONG time saving the money and researching to buy all the bits but its finally finished and i'm really pleased with how its turned out. Not as nice as many of the brilliant bikes on here but I chose each part. Would have loved to buy Schmolke, Lightweights, Zero Gravity etc but simply couldnt justify the extra cost. The Clavicula is the only real boutique part and took ages to save for.

The aim was to build a light bike using aluminium clinchers whilst maintaining rideable components. I have just finished Uni so whilst studying full time I worked in a bike shop part time. In many cases 'off the shelf' components were used in preference to boutique parts due to dramatic cost differences. All my money goes in to my bikes and although I may never reach the bikes true potential I am delighted to have built and managed to afford the build. It took a lot of work and saving but I think the results are worthwhile.

I read the forums regularly and am really inspired by the other bikes on here. My bike could have been built much lighter but I feel it is a strong, reliable build with a reasonable weight. If my riding skill justified it I would love to save up and buy Lightweights/Lews but at the moment money and skill are lacking. Using poor Photoshop techniques I have mocked it up for fun anyway - much cheaper! The bike currently sits at 6.050kg, agonisingly close to the magic 6kg mark. Struggling to find ways to drop the final 50g. Will not put a KMC chain on or BTP plates on the Speedplays but any suggestions welcome.
Sorry for all the pictures!

Frame Cervelo R3 SL 54cm
Fork 3T Funda Pro incl. insert and star nut
Headset FSA Orbit IS
Top Cap Fibre Lyte carbon w/alu bolt
Stem Rotor S1 100mm
Handlebars Bontrager XXX Lite VR 42cm
Bar Tape Bontrager Race Lite
Front Brake Campagnolo Record w/Ashima Carbon Pads
Rear Brake Campagnolo Record w/Ashima Carbon Pads
Front Derailleur Campagnolo Record Braze-On
Rear Derailleur Campagnolo Record w/Fibre-lyte inner plate & Ceramic Speed J.Wheels
STI Levers Campagnolo Record
Cassette Campagnolo Record 12-25 Ti w/alloy lockring
Chain Campagnolo Record 10s
Crankset THM Carbone Clavicula Compact
Chainrings TA Specialites Syrius 50T
Chainrings TA Specialites Syrius 34T
Chainring Bolts TA Alloy Black
Bottom Bracket THM Clavicula Ceramic
Pedals Speedplay Zero Ti
Rim Tape None
Skewers Token TK233
Wheelset Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Ti
Front Tyre Schwalbe Ultremo 700x23
Rear Tyre Schwalbe Ultremo 700x23
Tubes Bontrager X Lite
Saddle Selle Italia Kit Carbonio Flow
Seat Post Bontrager XXX Lite 27.2x330mm w/Ti Alloy upgrade, shortened
Seat Clamp Included with frame w/Ti Bolt
Cables Campagnolo 1.1mm gear / Nokon brake
Headset Spacer 2 x 5mm Carbon
Bottle Cages Bontrager XXX Lite (x2)

Now the DREAM build pictures (Photoshopped)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jjmstang

by jjmstang

Very nice build. Watch out for the bottle cages ejecting bottles on rough roads. I use the same ones and have lost some bottles.
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

sacredsurfer

by sacredsurfer

Been using the same cage design on my winter bike and mountain bikes and never had any problems so far but cheers for the tip

aarw

by aarw

nice stable, great pics too!

this is my pic of the bunch, very nice indeed

Flossie

by Flossie

Fantastic bike, It just looks right !!

So much nicer that you've worked hard and saved for it and I hope you enjoy riding it as much as the hours of mental debates we know youve had choosing the parts!

My only tip is not to keep it too clean or you wont want to ride it if the weather looks abit iffy.

Enjoy it!
Floss
Arms of a sprinter, legs of a climber, lungs of a smoker!
I cycle, therefore I am.
http://www.dukinfieldcc.org/ http://photobucket.com/albums/b32/clpowellbikes/

sacredsurfer

by sacredsurfer

Luckily I have a winter bike for the iffy weather. Trying to find a way to loose 51g and go sub 6kg

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

what does the seatpost weigh? you might get it there

sacredsurfer

by sacredsurfer

After modification (ti/alloy bolts on head clamp, cutting), seatpost weighs around 120g. Not much on the market with setback, except maybe a Daedalus, that is lighter: although that is a BIG lot of money. I'm more than happy with 6.050kg but 6kg would sound so much sweeter

Motaro

by Motaro

nice bike

get 5/6gr seatpost clamp out carbon/ti then you wil be some closer to 6kg ? i us one on my MTB and work wel in week or 2 i get new one then for my anthem adv

finaly found my old Username robin v berkel so i wil log on that and not on this one if you wand to Pm me PM robin v berkel

dongustav

by dongustav

Very very nice. If you want to drop weight further i'd say seatpost & bars... i dont think the bonty stuff is very light, and i think it subtracts from the bling factor of your nice Campy build anyway. Deda was my choice, but its personal preference.

Also, you should probably put a strip of elec tape or clear packing tape on that chainstay to avoid chain-slapping your carbon finish. wont add significant weight but worth it for the bike.

BmanX

by BmanX

Great looking bike.

I have a few suggestions to lighten up the bike and be under 6000g

KCNC CB1 brakes. They should drop you under the weight just by switching out the Campy for the KCNC.

Change out the seat post clamp for the Omni Racer clamp which is 9g with ti bolt or 10g with steel bolt.

Fibre-Lyte Carbon Pulley's will save you a bit more weight.

Too bad you put the Insert and Starnut in the Funda fork as it is not needed. You could have used an FSA Compressor to pre-load the headset and then used a Tune Gum Gum with Fibre-Lyte top cap and aluminum bolt which is 13g instead of 37g for insert and starnut. Plus you have to factor in the additional weight of the bonding agent to hold the insert in place.

That should get you under the 6000g mark with some room to spare.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

morephyous

by morephyous

Tune 9g cages and a set of Carbon Sports QR.

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

sacredsurfer wrote:Sorry for all the pictures!

Thats the best part!!!
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

Tubes6al4v

by Tubes6al4v

Damn, I really dig this bike. That was one of the first times where I loved the look and didn't notice the Clavicula. Great job. The Lews would be nice, but really, I doubt your suffering where its at.

*Personally* I would get rid of the red from the bontrager logos, (maybe a sharpie, as it comes off if you change your mind. But those bars are great. I rode them a few times, and have to say that those are some of the best feeling (ergonomics are personal preference, and I tend to go with ergobars instead, but these were pretty comfy for compact bend). I hope your enjoying the boron center!

TS-Biker

by TS-Biker

sacredsurfer wrote:Been using the same cage design on my winter bike and mountain bikes and never had any problems so far but cheers for the tip

+1
It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com