Speedplay Cages, 19g, any reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

Actually, that crash was allegedly caused by dropped bottles on guys further up, which caused the cobbles to get wet:
http://velonews.com/article/12043
But I admit I couldn't tell the Milram rider's bottles weren't Taos.

mises

by mises

I rarely hit a pothole. the problem is the roads are so bad it would be hard to tell where the road ended and the pothole began, or vice versa.

The other major cause - using stumps in the fill of a roadbed leads to a wonderful layer cake subsidence that works wonders with bottle ejection on descents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Taos are built for tapered bottles. Use the right bottle, and they are very secure. I'm yet to find a sub 20g carbon cage that I'm happy with over the cattle-stops round here, but the taos have never dropped a bottle and I used them for 2 years.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

supros88

by supros88

What is the standard Nanogram the same design as the ultralite one?

Does anyone have any pictures of the standard Nanogram as I can't find any images on the web?

The Ultralite is a great looking cage but I think I would be better of with the standard version.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Look 2007+ model year bottle cage - about 24g. Has a very low guard rail which allows front or even sharlpy angled almost side loading - great for small compact frames, even with large (California Springs DuoFLow 25 oz.) bottles on the seat tube (51 cm "S" Look 585 Ultra with 6 cm slope). I have about 10000 km use on the down tube cage and about 5000 km active use (filled bottle) on the seat tube. I haven't ejected a bottle yet, despite a fair bit of riding on rough roads, including descents, although that does not include any racing down 10% cobbled descents. The bottle removal force required is so much smaller than other alloy or carbon cages I've used that it took me a couple of rides to get used to that and not slam my hand into the bottom of the top tube when removing the bottle from the downtube cage - i.e., I was initially using too much force when removing the bottle, i.e., launching my hand into the top tube, when instead a gentle pull was sufficient - not hard to control, just different than what I'd been used to the last 30 years.

And yes, I'd use the Look cages on any brand bike. I use Time pedals on a Look frame - call the brands don't match police on me. :twinkle:

GrahamB

by GrahamB

Just bought a Saso carbon cage off ebay, 13g with alloy screws, for ~25€.

I should have known better :roll:

I doubt it would launch a bottle... once I managed to get a bottle in, I wasn't sure I'd get it out again without tearing the cage off the frame. had to use two hands. Removing the little saw-tooth rubber bottle gripper didn't make much difference either.

Fortunately, when I tried to buy a second at the same time they were out of stock...
Graham

jjmstang

by jjmstang

Anymore reviews on the Speedplay cages ? I am using the Bontrager XXX cages and they are ejecting my 750ml bottles so I am looking for another brand. Hopefully something under 20 grams. Looking at these http://fairwheelbikes.com/emporelli-dol ... p-251.html
Any input would be nice.

Thanks
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Camelfred

by Camelfred

jjmstang wrote:Looking at these http://fairwheelbikes.com/emporelli-dol ... p-251.html
Any input would be nice.
Hi, the emporelli's are expensive , but they are light and work great - never had any problem when using 800ml-bottles .
Best regards
Camelfred

Starter

by Starter

In my opinion, carbon cages are one of the few pieces of cycling gear where you don't always get what you pay for. You may shell out $100 per cage, and get (relatively) heavy garbage that won't hold a bottle worth a damn. You may pick up an absolute clamp that weighs less off eBay for $20.

My personal experience has been that the cheapest cages are crap, and the most expensive cages simply aren't good enough to justify the cost.

I've had good experiences with the higher-end generic stuff... Right now I'm using some BlackOps cages I got off eBay. Claimed 18g, came in at 21g and 20g respectively. Excellent holding power, smooth release and entry, and they come in a 12k finish which matches my frame. Best of all, I paid around $47 shipped for the pair.

I believe a name brand company sells them for around $70 EACH... Anyone recognize the design?

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Starter wrote:Right now I'm using some BlackOps cages I got off eBay. Claimed 18g, came in at 21g and 20g respectively. Excellent holding power, smooth release and entry, and they come in a 12k finish which matches my frame. Best of all, I paid around $47 shipped for the pair.

I believe a name brand company sells them for around $70 EACH... Anyone recognize the design?

The design is close to the design of Campagnolo Record cages.

Image Image