Litespeed Ghisallo-weight weenie dream bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

HanSolo wrote:Very nice ride but I would never go with DA for a WW ride. Sram Red Shifters and RD own all in the weight department.

I agree as far as stock weight is concerned. But from a cost vs. weight savings standpoint, I couldn't justify buying a new group when I was able to substantially tune my existing DA parts for a fraction of the cost... all from Ebay.

The only parts not on par with (or lighter than) Red after tuning are the brake/shift levers. Considering the weight savings I got out of the THM cranks and bottom bracket with fibre lyte rings, my group wound up weighing less than Red and I funded it entirely by selling old parts on Ebay.

I run DA on all my road and CX bikes. I am comfortable with it and enjoy the performance and durability. That alone is worth a couple grams of added weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

okilite42

by okilite42

Ted, thanks for the response. So I took your advice and started making a few purchases on ebay today. I almost bought a new Ghisallo frame last week but held off. Today when I added up the weights of my components with the Ghisallo frame it came out to under 12 lbs and was a little over 12 lbs with my Ardennes frame. For now I will stick with my Ardennes and loose the weight in my waistline. Maybe next year I will spring for a Ghisallo frame unless ofcouse I come across something on ebay I just can't pass up. The pictures of your bike look awesome and give me something to strive for. Thanks again, Paul

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

okilite42 wrote:Ted, thanks for the response. So I took your advice and started making a few purchases on ebay today. I almost bought a new Ghisallo frame last week but held off. Today when I added up the weights of my components with the Ghisallo frame it came out to under 12 lbs and was a little over 12 lbs with my Ardennes frame. For now I will stick with my Ardennes and loose the weight in my waistline. Maybe next year I will spring for a Ghisallo frame unless ofcouse I come across something on ebay I just can't pass up. The pictures of your bike look awesome and give me something to strive for. Thanks again, Paul

Paul, I'm headed your way in a few weeks. I'll bring my Ghisallo down. let me know if you'd like to get out for a ride. I'll be at White Beach. PM me for e-mail and telephone contact info.
Last edited by xnavalav8r on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

xnavalav8r wrote:

* Jagwire carbon Rocket cable adjuster

Did you weigh the carbon cable adjuster?

also the ones on the downtube?

thanks
Attachments
r-der.JPG

Robert Baker

by Robert Baker

"Here is how I got my 182 gram short cage Dura Ace rear derailleur down to 145 grams...

Dura-Ace Rear Derailleur New In Box RD-7800SS short Cage
* Alloy hanger bolt
* Alloy cable clamp bolt
* Alloy plate Axle bolt
* Jagwire carbon Rocket cable adjuster
* KCNC Ceramic Bearing jockey wheels
* Alloy mech jockey bolts
* RS P carbon outer plate
* RS P carbon inner plate
* Titanium Spring "

Could you please tell me which spring on the derailleur you replaced with a Ti one and where did you get ? Thanks!
Rob

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

A current photo. Not much has changed. Decals removed from wheels. Training tubulars installed (Conti Gatorskin). Garmin 705 and associated sensors installed (6.2 kg with seatbag). I'm doing some non-UCI/USAC races next month so I'm going to race the bike as is. For some later USAC races I'm going to add some weight... alloy chainrings, standard D/A derailleur, D/A cassette, D/A chain, and Yokozuna reaction cables. That should get me to 6.8. If not I'll go with a heavier seatpost as well.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 1447422736

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Custom, lightweight wheelset coming soon. Sub-1000 grams, sub-US$1000.00.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62998

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

xnavalav8r wrote:... I have noticed a bit of flex when climbing out of the saddle which manifests itself in a creak at the skewer. I think this has as much to do with the Carbon-ti titanium skewer I am using. When I installed a steel skewer the creaking went away.
Not the most timely advice, but have you lubricated the skewers?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

To be honest, I just torqued down the skewer a little tighter and no more squeak.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

New wheels installed. New weight is 5.72kg with Garmin computer hardware installed.

Pics here... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62998&start=150

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

In hillclimbing mode... including Recon 11-36 Cassette (155g) and tuned DA rear derailleur. Ready for Mt. Washington practice ride this weekend.

Updates since last post include a 44cm Easton EC90 SLX3 handlebar, Easton EC90 seback seatpost, Cane Creek AER Headset.

I experienced some slipping of the seatpost since replacing the KCNC post I had previously, but I needed a little setback so I made it work. I wound up going back to the stock Litespeed clamp which seems to be doing the trick, but weighs about 5 times as much as the Omni clamp I had been using. After breaking two binder bolts with the Omni clamp I decided to accept a weight penalty to improve performance.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Did you extend the DA's cage length?
I had no idea that DA rear can accommodate up to 36t.
Normally when folks go beyond 28t, we'd see the use of a MTB derailleur (tuned, of course) with a medium or long cage.
Or SRAM Apex! :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

bencolem

by bencolem

What the hell are you climbing up? Brick walls? Seriously, that looks ridiculous!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Climbing Mt. Washington... 6000 feet in 7.6 miles.

I used a long cage modified DA derailleur. I added an extra-long b-tension screw to keep the derailleur cage from rubbing on the largest cog. It works perfectly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bencolem

by bencolem

16% average over 12.2km's? Okay, I take it back :faint: