IRD Typhoon crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

a-taft

by a-taft

Anybody seen this, know how much it weighs, etc? It has a ti spindle and outboard bearings (like DA 2004).
Attachments
IRC_typhoon.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

only info i have seen on these cranks are here http://www.mtbreview.com/tradeshow/inte ... age1.shtml

Millen

by Millen

The crank with 53/49T chainrings weights about 615g. It's another fine products by Gigantex. Gigantex is a nice little company that turn out composite components you see on most of top name brands.

There's more information at this website http://www.tokenproducts.com/crankset.htm

Enjoy riding!

Superlite

by Superlite

Where did you find that weight at?

spytech

by spytech

615g thats heavy. but can you use those bearings with an FSA crank?

"Though we use an ISIS-like spline for strength reasons, the BB's longer spindle will throw off the Q factor and chainline of any other production ISIS crank."

Guess not! :(

Superlite

by Superlite

Nope, you read it yourself. The interface is the same, but the length of the splines and spindle are too long for any crankset other then the typhoon. You might however be able to jerry rig it, so the cranks might work, but I would question the shifting capabliity.

Millen

by Millen

I guess 615g is with two M15 self-extract cr-mo crank bolts. Yes it's heavy for weight weenie's standard.

I agree that this BB design has to use longer axle to accommodate the space for outbound bearings. It maybe a problem?

I don't think the crank is special made for them. It should be just another OEM product from Taiwan. It's just too expensive to pay for a totally new design, new die to forge the inner 2014 spine and new mold to prepare the outer carbon wrap and foam injection to fill the centre of the arms.
Not a real Weight Weenie but I like my bike lighter!

Superlite

by Superlite

The 615g is just the crank, BB combo, and no chainrings. Not light at all. Just a cheap attempt at marketing outside bearings. :cry:

spytech

by spytech

Superlite wrote:The 615g is just the crank, BB combo, and no chainrings. Not light at all. Just a cheap attempt at marketing outside bearings. :cry:

indeed i agree with superlite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com