Carbon brake Calipers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JTC

by JTC

I put my name on the list for the Lightweight carbon calipers form AX-Lightness a while back from Posh Bikes. The more people I talk to the more they tell me good luck on ever seeing them (supposedly AX is notorious with being slow; at least that is what I have been told). Anyone else have any info on these hitting the market soon or is it going to be months before we see them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

what is the price on them? but you should consider the cat claws, should have mine here next week. and i dont think the carbon brakes are that much lighter.

JTC

by JTC

Don't have a finalized price, but I suspect around $1000. With these its not a weight issue. They will be about the same weight as the CAT. I want them b/c they would look great on my new rig (plus I would be the first around to have carbon calipers). The guys who make the CAT stuff are 20 min from me, so If it looks like it will be another 4 months on the carbon calipers, I am going to get the CAT brakes.

Delpi

by Delpi

WHAT DU YOU THINK ABOUT THE NEW CARBON BRAKES PRODUCT BY ADVANCED EUROPE?
THE CLAIMED WEIGHT IS 209gr. THEY ARE DUAL PIVOT. (485 EURO)
THE AX LIGHTNESS BRAKES ARE ONLY SINGLE PIVOT. THEY HAVEN'T A GREAT POWER AND THEY COST TOO MUCH!!!!!! :evil:
I THINK THAT THE ADVANCED BRAKES ARE THE PERFECT COMPROMISE BETWEEN WEIGHT/PRICE AND PERFORMANCE. (OK IF THE REAL WEIGHT IS TRULY 209gr)
Attachments
FRENI CARBONIO 2.jpg
Ciao Zauri

JTC

by JTC

I have seen these before and could have bought them, but I think they are uggly. Look just like a normal brake caliper that has faux carbon.

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

The only successful carbon brake i can think of is spooky cx brakes...

J-Nice

by J-Nice

not only are they dual pivot, but they also have the quick release for added adjustability, so they seem to be a little more functional than the AX-Lightness brakes. :lol:

JTC

by JTC

Dual pivot is over rated. I don't seem to have a problem with single pivot unless I am gong 55+ down the side of Hogpen and then the dual is even much help.

Superlite

by Superlite

All I got to say is carbon for brakes seems silly. It's just manufactuters trying to satisfy our lust of carbon. There's no advantage to them, just a marketing ploy. And at $900, give me a brake, no pun intended. :wink:

JTC

by JTC

You might be right on that. Its more of a looks issue for me and I want this bike to be unique since it is going to be my last one for a while (children in the near future are going to take all my money and time).

spytech

by spytech

i would say go for it them, thats if you can get them in the near future. how long have you been waiting for them? and how much longer do you have to wait?

Superlite

by Superlite

When are we going to see a pic of this beast? Sounds like your putting a grip into it.

JTC

by JTC

Well at this point it seems as if all hinges on the brake calipers. I have been told Janurary, but I will beleive it when I see it. I have almost everything to this point except a few small odds and ends. I could go ahead and build it up as is, but I would rather wait until everything is together. I have plenty of other rides to get me through the winter training. I will get some pictures posted as soon as it is all finished. I might post a parts list to get some of you guys input soon. I hope to be under 14lbs but its going to be touch and go.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Any news on the brakes?

I'm thinking of ordering a set.... :twisted:
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com