Superlite vs. Team FSA

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JTC

by JTC

I am not sure I buy this 1/2 as stiff as FSA and 1/3 as stiff as DA. I read the article posted previously where the Power Arms were on test, and if I remember correctly the test was for crank/BB combos. I remember looking at the test and noticing that the Power Arms were paired with the least stiffest BB in the whole test. I have not read the review in Velo news yet though. I think it is safe to say that the Power Arms are not as stiff as the DA and FSA, but 1/2 and 1/3 I do not know?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

I'm pretty sure about. Just use comman sense. Power arms are the lightest (excpet for CAT) out there, around 70g lighter then the Superlite. Plus look at thier construction, power arms are hollow carbon, the superlites are carbon with a carbon core, much stronger. But just because they are 1/2 the stiffness of the superlite, or 1/3 the stiffness of the DA doesn't mean there not stiff, there just not nearly as stiff as those, which are super stiff.

JTC

by JTC

Lets hope they are stiff enough for me since I have a set in my garage for my new ride. I have a set a FSA's on another bike and I do agree that you can't go wrong with the FSA's. I had this disscussion with a buddy of mine a few days ago and I have to say that the FSA's are the better cranks for the money, but I wanted the lightest out there for my new bike.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Sounds good to me. I also wanted light cranks. I'm not sure if the superlights were out at the time I bought the powerarms anyway. These posts were good in that they brought out questions and answers that helped me see where each of the cranks strenths are. The whole light/stiff issue can be difficult to quantify sometimes.

JTC

by JTC

Yeh, it also depends on bike use. The Power Arms for me are going to be on my really light bike. It won't be legal to race anyway, and since I have so much money in it I don't think I would want to. I have the FSA's on my race bike which is in the 16lb range.

spytech

by spytech

how about the cat cranks, how stiff are they? i know they are hard to get but it would be nice to know... maybe one day i may want to build a sub 14lb. bike :shock:

Superlite

by Superlite

You don't need CAT cranks to build a sub 14lb bike, besides, they are only 30g lighter then Power Arms and the waiting list is about a year, AND they cost $700. They are just like the power arms with a hollow carbon construction, so expect similar stiffness. Power Arms and such definatly are not for sprinters.

spytech

by spytech

one year waiting list... sucks. i would like to ride a bike with power arms or cat cranks. i am use to chromoly profile cranks (on a bmx or moutain bike) which are super stiff

mises

by mises

[quote="spytech"]i have to sell mine first, in order to afford the superlite. i was thinking of getting them with the frm ISIS BB. But i think i might go ahead with them. $359 is what i am paying for them, no where i can get them cheaper?[/quote]

aebike.com has the superlights for $288.99. I wish I had found them before I bought mine.