Racing wheel set

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Petacchi

by Petacchi

ok after looking for a pic of HED stingers i came across this article and well I dont know how much of an advantage i am going to recieve with a new pair of rims although i am very much considering Cormia's now from just looking at reviews and what not.

http://www.diablocyclists.com/pauldec00.htm
Fighting Blue Hens

Superlite

by Superlite

I don't know what the resin is called, but I know it's very expensive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Joel

by Joel

Are you looking at the Winiums or the Aeros, both have good reviews.
The rims are also used in the Campagnolo Hyperon and Boras, but the Corimas are cheaper, you can also get the Aero as a rim only

Petacchi

by Petacchi

The Winiums because I want an all around wheel and I dont think the Aeros would suite me.
Fighting Blue Hens

JTC

by JTC

Why spend the money on Winiums when you can get Zipp 303's that are lighter and more aero for about the same cost? Plus if you are doing the clincher version of the Corimas they are only rated up to 110 psi. I would stay away from the clinchers at all costs.

Superlite

by Superlite

If your are interested in carbon clinchers then the new cirro wheelset from reynolds is the best. 45mm deep, weighs 1450g, and can handle up to 160psi. Only crappy thing is they cost 1800-2000. :cry:

Petacchi

by Petacchi

ohhh no I have been a clincher rider since i started riding and i am looking at the world of tubulars. Going to pick up a pair of Tufo's to use with my elites until I can get the real thing.
Fighting Blue Hens

Joel

by Joel

Go for tubular and the Winium are more all round than the Zipp's.
The Zipp's are weaker

Petacchi

by Petacchi

Ok after careful consideration I am really unsure if a new wheel set is warnted. I would like to cut some weight off of my bike and I think the wheel set would be a good idea but here is what I have and if anyone can think of some other way to lighten it up alittle bit let me know.
R2000 CAAD 5 frame (waranty R700 black frame)
Bike is stock except for
Dura Ace Levers,
3T Zepp XL bar and stem combo,
EC70 Carbon post,
Dura Ace Chain,
Dura Ace Cassette,
And Selle San Marco Era K saddle.
If anyone has some ideas on how to ligthen her up let me know. Personally I was going to go with FSA Team issue crank and BB combo, a set of Tufos , USE Carbon Post, and a SLR saddle. I figure with this combination i should be able to save around 600 grams but the same could be said for buying a new wheelset. Any thoughts?
Fighting Blue Hens

Joel

by Joel

Which wheels do you have now?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Aren't they only available for tubulars?

I understand 300gm, real weight on 280's isn't much lower, and Corima doen't seem to have as many problems as Zipp (maybe because they don't sell as many rims/wheels?).

Winium/Spada is apparently 1050gm, Zipp 280/Spada 1020gm

If you don't like the 38mm section, the Winium makes sense to me. I must admit I have a set on order, but I already have Corima Aero's on Spada hubs, and I liked those so it made sense to go with the same manufacturers for me.
Ride lightly!

Joel

by Joel

The Corima rims are also used in Campagnolo wheels, so I guess they produce equal/more than Zipp. The rims are just a bit heavier and I think this added strength makes them very durable.

JTC

by JTC

You guys crack me up. Explain the "problems" you talked about with Zipps, b/c I have yet to see them. Also I do not believe that a standard box rim is ever going to be as stiff and accelerate as well as a deeper section rim and I question your comment on it being stonger as too.

JTC

by JTC

By the way Ye Old Bold One, since I haven't been able to ride my Spada/Zipp wheels yet I was wonder what kind of input you could give me on your Spada Hubs. I got the ones with carbon front axel and was wondering how well they held up. Are they smooth running wheels?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

I have a set coming up to a year old. They get used once or twice a week on longer rides (laced to Corima Aero rims). Bearings are still smooth, no play or anything unusual at all. I have not done anything to them except spin the axles and make sure they are okay, nothing has been needed.

As you know, I've ordered another set of them with Winium rims, shows you how I feel about them more than anything else.
Ride lightly!