caad 9 vs system six

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

Hi, I know the difference between caad 9 and system six. But I can buy a used caad 9 (400 miles) = 500$ frame and fork

or a system six (1200 miles) 850$... just frame and fork... and I would like to know if I can see a big difference between these frames... the difference is 350$$, it's not huge.. but with 350$ I could buy a better wheelset..... ?? what do you think
Ninja

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

Having raced a caad9 for a season(last year) and a system six this season the difference is dramatic. The system is much stiffer in the headtube than the caad.

Deleted the quote. FB
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

ok but except that, the caad 9 is stiff and good?? but about comfort?? I think system six is too stiff.... for many riders

deleted the quote FB
Ninja

cswi9367

by cswi9367

sytem: stiff front
super: stiff bottom bracket area
caad9: stiff rearend

system is a caad9 rear with a super stiff front end. the system is much more race bike than a super. comparing a caad9 and system is difficult. if it were me, i would go system, as its stiff bike all the way around. but, im a race style rider. comfort, thats tough. aluminum is not as comfortable as carbon, but the rear of the system and caad9 are the same.

if you were to put an alum bar on a system and a carbon bar on the caad, i would consider them same comfort.

comfort, if thats what your after, go synapse.

peterpen

by peterpen

The big difference is System has BB30 and tapered fork. Definitely worth $300 IMO.

pinky

by pinky

135lb rider on a system, "too stiff" has never been an issue but the lateral stiffness cornering is amazing coming from a CAAD 8.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

ninjanoir78 wrote:ok but except that, the caad 9 is stiff and good?? but about comfort?? I think system six is too stiff.... for many riders

A caad9 is still a great race bike no doubt, but given that you could step into a system six for not that much more you might as well. The system six is such a great race bike. It's stiff where you want it and corners light a mad man.

edited the quote FB
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

TheRock

by TheRock

Looking for :arrow: good second hand mint condition low miles Cannondale CAAD9 or System SIX or SIX13 50cm or 52cm in Team Liquigas black front end with "green kermit" back end (checkout this clip :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WEx8hM5I5I)

PM me with pics, specs (full groupset, wheels, tyres, handlebar, stem length etc) :beerchug:

Show meeeeeeeeee your LiquiGas Kermit :up:
Last edited by TheRock on Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

critracer26

by critracer26

peterpen wrote:The big difference is System has BB30 and tapered fork. Definitely worth $300 IMO.

Caad9's have BB30, not all of them but i think all the 2010's do. Some of the 2009's do.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I've had both - couldn't say one was stiffer than the other to be honest so I don't know where all of that talk is coming from. If anything the CAAD9 felt stiffer because it was less smooth.

Which brings me to the only difference I ever felt between them - the SysytemSix is much smoother than the CAAD9. It's also around 600g lighter with an Si chainset, so probably 650g or so lighter with an Si SL.

Both are great - you wouldn't go wrong with either of them 8)

WileEcoyote

by WileEcoyote

Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but at least I used the search function. :)

I am considering these two frames. Both fit my budget and are good quality race oriented frames. I would probably be happy with either to be honest. But I'm curious what the weight difference might be between the CAAD9 and System Six framesets?

I might as well toss out that I'm currently on a Six13. Would either be a reasonable enough upgrade, or would the difference be minor? Thanks for any thoughts.

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

Hi my winter bike is a wonderful caad9. I also have a new super6 which is a better bike in terms of comfort, reduced road buzz, etc, I believe the system 6 was sitiffer than the super6 that replaced it.

The system is a unique bike, I would avoid the opinion of anyone who has not owned one, how would they know what a bike which is carbon at the front, and Ali at the back is like? I don't know of any oth bike made in this way.i don't know. I did meet a guy on one once who said he wouldn't give it up for anything.

I'd say the same about my caad9!!!

Talk of the caad9 being flexy in certain areas is wrong. It's a race bike period! Fast as anything!

Caad9s were first made with hollowtec type BB (normally a good sign is if the fork doesn't match in colour to the frame)
Mine is a 2009 which I understand to be the last year of the caad9 and the last year of made in the USA. Is does have bb30 however mine has the adaptor and hollowtec in it and the power goes down just lovely!

If it were me, I'd buy which ever one is cheaper/ in better condition/ better colour.

I believe the caad9 frame is about 1500-1600g and the system six is about 1400-1500g

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I currently own a Caad 9 and a System 6.

I love the System 6. The Caad 9, it's okay.

While the two share the same rear triangle, the front oversized carbon front triangle of the System 6 is noticeably stiffer. It just feels more solid taking turns. Not that the Caad 9 isn't solid, the System 6 is just more so.

I also find the System 6 overall to be a much more comfortable ride. I attribute that to the carbon front triangle.

The Caad 9 has Force while my System 6 has Red. Both bikes have Hollowgram cranks, Ritchey bars and Fizik saddles. I also routinely swap wheels - since most of my training is done on my PowerTap wheelset, so these comparisons are really frame specific.

If you have the choice between the two, I strongly encourage you to go with the System 6 over the Caad 9. It is well worth it.

But I do have one caveat: If you do get a System 6, be sure to get a painted one. I have the raw aluminum-carbon version, and the corrosion where the two meet is becoming a growing concern. I am told that it is structurally fine, but the clear coat is now flaking off around the joint and the corrosion grows worse each year. You can find lots of threads discussing this issue.

Zachariah

by Zachariah

I had a CAAD9.....until I rode a SystemSix - end of story:

Due to the urging of all the ladies...I do NOT shave my legs!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

WileEcoyote wrote:Forgive me for reviving an old thread, but at least I used the search function. :)

Thank you!!!