best clincher rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

portuguese mike

by portuguese mike

for up to £300/$500. i'm going to build a wheelset with a powertap hub which will be used for summer training and sportives and i need some help with my rim choice.

i'm looking for something with a good balance between weight/aero/stiffness. i weigh 73-75kg (161-165 lbs) and i would be using them from april - october (uk)

any advice would be much appreciated
mikey

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

=4cranks

by =4cranks

Niobium 30mm XR-300 aka Alex Crostini R1.1 , IRD Cadence and several others. About $75 ea. (Kinlin is the Taiwan mfg and has no public website)
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ght=kinlin
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ght=kinlin
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ht=niobium
"Reynolds Alta Race is just a silver Kinlin Niobium 30 in the internal nipple version." peterpen
Velocity Aerohead (deep
V) is also 30mm mfg http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=583 made in Austrailia
sold everywhere in the world. Has crazy colors. Cost & weigh (550g) about the same. Both "bombproof".
700c
Colors: Black, Silver, White, E. Red, Yellow, E. Blue, Purple, Gold, Orange, Lime green, Ti Grey, Bright Silver, Pink, Brown, Celeste :o
Equality for Cranks.

Dilbert

by Dilbert

Dont know if they are available yet, but how about an Edge 38mm clincher rim? Will be more expensive, but can double as a race wheel.

Having race power stats is very handy, too - best power figures are usually from racing.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

=4cranks wrote:Niobium 30mm XR-300 aka Alex Crostini R1.1 , IRD Cadence and several others. About $75 ea. (Kinlin is the Taiwan mfg and has no public website)

Are you sure Crostini 1.1 is a KinLin Niobium rim?
Crostini R1.1 is a 27mm alloy rim without any niobium made by Alexrims themselves AFAIK, a bit heavier than the 30mm niobium rims made by KinLin. Alexrims is also said to make rims for Shimano and once also some rims for Campagnolo.
Crostini R1.1 is also mated by a 28mm asymmetrical R1.2 rear rim, unlike KinLin.
KinLin does however also make a 27mm XR-270 rim, but it looks different to Alexrims Crostini R1.1, it looks like KinLin Niobiom rim is flatter in the end where the spoke holes are. Alexrims Crostini R1.1 + R1.2 rims also has wear line indicators which KinLin Niobium rims doesn't. This indicates it's different rims.

Alexrims wrote:INDICATOR
    * Our 0.3mm depth circumference line design appears on both sidewalls of the rim.
    * When the sidewall surface becomes parallel to the indicator line, it"s recommended that rider replaces the rim.
    * The new indicator line becomes Alex"s major design for rim safety and security.

Alexrims claims Crostini R3.1 and R3.2 is the world's first 7000 series aluminum rims, they never mentioned anything about niobium alloys in R1.1 + R1.2 or any other of their rims.

Crostini R1.1 and R1.2 rim profiles:
Image Image

But it seems like Crostini 1.1 has disappeared from Alexrims lineup: http://www.alexrims.com
Alexrims still makes the DA28 which has the same rim profile as Crostini R1.1. Not sure what the difference is.
Last edited by 2 wheels on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Alan Sherman

by Alan Sherman

does anyone know which rims are used on the planet X mobel B and C wheels? i suspect they may be the KinLin rims but the listed weights for the wheels seem a little high if they are. The wheels are really cheap for the weight

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?page_id=1541

portuguese mike

by portuguese mike

thanks guys, what do people think about American Classic 420 rims which i believe you can order from some German websites?
mikey

legs 11

by legs 11

They're ok, if you can get them, I've not seen them for sale for some time now though.
Small brake track and not very stiff for a medium weight.
You may be better off picking up a pair of complete wheels as they can be had for not a lot of money 2nd hand. :)
Pedalling Law Student.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

portuguese mike wrote:thanks guys, what do people think about American Classic 420 rims which i believe you can order from some German websites?

Yes you can order AC420 and AC350 rims form this German webshop: http://www.xx-light-bikes.de/shop/pi-37 ... egoryId=25

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Alex Crostini is NOT a KinLin Niobium rim...

Is there anybody here that want's KinLin rims in Europe?
I know of a dealer in the Netherlands that is reasonable priced.

With a power Tap I would take a KinLin XR-300 or KinLin-270.
I also would use the following spoke pattern.
Cross over one heads in on DS.
Cross over two heads in NDS.
On a stiff oversized hub
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

Phill P

by Phill P

Alan Sherman wrote:does anyone know which rims are used on the planet X mobel B and C wheels? i suspect they may be the KinLin rims but the listed weights for the wheels seem a little high if they are. The wheels are really cheap for the weight

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/?page_id=1541

They all look like standard black Nb30s. Weight seems ok (1650ish for the B), but you'd have to question the "super light" nature of the hubs.

Aussiebullet

by Aussiebullet

[quote="Amadeus"
With a power Tap I would take a KinLin XR-300 or KinLin-270.
I also would use the following spoke pattern.
Cross over one heads in on DS.
Cross over two heads in NDS.
On a stiff oversized hub[/quote]

I've never see a wheel built with cross over 2 heads in before? l have seen plenty of PT wheels cross over 1 heads in on the DS and standard cross over 2 NDS have you ever built or had a wheel built like this? sounds like it would make a very stiff wheel for lower spoke counts.

Amadeus

by Amadeus

@ Aussiebullet

I just did finish two wheel sets and I will post pictures on the forum later during this week. I came to the idea the Idea looking at Eric's ("ergott" on this forum) EDGE 1.68 wheels.....

Lateral stifnes was one of the goals indeed.

Next project will be with cross over three heads in and out at NDS and cros over one at drive side. Also using a fater Double butted spoke at DS.
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

ergott

by ergott

Amadeus wrote:Cross over two heads in NDS.

Do you have a pic of this pattern at the hub? I have one seen 1X pattern with all the spokes on the same side of the flange.

-Eric

ergott

by ergott

Dilbert wrote:Dont know if they are available yet, but how about an Edge 38mm clincher rim? Will be more expensive, but can double as a race wheel.

Having race power stats is very handy, too - best power figures are usually from racing.

I've had them on my bike for over a month now. They are fantastic rims. Reynolds clincher rims are high quality as well.

I agree, getting readings from a wheel that's used in training and races is important if you want to really analyze the data and improve.

-Eric

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Amadeus wrote:Is there anybody here that want's KinLin rims in Europe?
I know of a dealer in the Netherlands that is reasonable priced.

You've got my attention.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.