HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Madone 4.5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:20 am 

Hey everyone, I just purchased a Trek Madone 4.5 and wanted to get some feedback on it, weight when stock, how light anyone has made it, or even what the general feel is for it. I have searched the forums but have found nothing so I decided to post my own.

-Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:38 am 

Shouldn't you have asked that question before buying?

What you're gonna do if everybody cries "boo"?

Ditch a newly bought-bike? :wink:

But since you've asked for it, I'll give you a go, based on what I have seen so far.

Strong points:

-Standard seatpost (the seatdomes of two of my buddy's higher-ended Madones developed cracks - torqued as prescribed, no harsh use)

-105 groupset. Best performer for the price

-Weak points:

-No-name brakes.

A shame Trek has to rely on cheap tricks like these.
An Ultegra rear derailleur to catch the novice's roving eye, and crappy brakes for a trade.

My number one on the list in for a replacement. Tiagra should do the job perfectly, inexpensive and way better.

-Noodly frame. The data of RoadBike shows this to be among the very bottom end stiffness-wise.

Note that they don't preach super-stiffness as necessary (claiming that overly stiff frames are no good either) - but there's a point even they will consider a frameset too soft.

http://www.roadbike.de/test/bikes/test- ... htm?skip=4

(90+% of all frames tested are considered in the right spread stiffness-wise. The M 4.5 isn't)

-At least in the EU, it is rather expensive for the performance. Buying Trek only pays off in the high-price segement, and even there, their frames are sadly lacking in technical performance.

WEIGHT: I wouldn't bother overmuch with the weight. Depending on pedals and other gear used, you're in for at least 8.5kg (18.7lbs) in a medium size, possibly more (around 19lbs.)

This is simply not the right basis for a WW bike. You'd have to replace nearly every single part, including the frame/fork to get what is considered only half-light (say, 16lbs. or below).

If you'd wanted a light bike, you should have bought one from the start.

Instead, in your place, I'd just recline in the knowledge that a light bike does not make for a fast rider and enjoy the bike riding it - for that's what it is made for.

Just my 0.02 $ :D

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:38 am 

Post subject: Re: Madone 4.5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:12 pm 

aemulle wrote:
Hey everyone, I just purchased a Trek Madone 4.5 and wanted to get some feedback on it, weight when stock, how light anyone has made it, or even what the general feel is for it. I have searched the forums but have found nothing so I decided to post my own.

-Thanks

given you have found your way onto weightweenies ... in my crystal ball i can just make something out ... what is it ... oohh ... wait ... it's a madone 6.9 frameset ... with your name on it ...

You can make any bike very light if you stick ultralight parts on it. You are limited only by the frame and fork which are maybe ... combined 400g more than the most WW framesets out there? Well, that obviously means that with Red/Record/new DA and some light hoops you can get to 6.8kg. But you're looking at either dropping some big bucks on it ... or buying a whole load of light but shady gear that will result in a bike that rides like a jolopy.

ok ... so the good side is that your bike is a really nice piece of machinery and should be more than adequate for racing and riding everywhere. Perhaps think about really light aero wheels and then just upgrade to dura ace components as you wear out the 105.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:22 pm 

sawyer wrote:
You can make any bike very light if you stick ultralight parts on it. You are limited only by the frame and fork which are maybe ... combined 400g more than the most WW framesets out there?

Actually, more like 600-700g. :wink:

Bringing that frameset below 6.8kg with parts that don't compromise function will possibly cost more than buying a complete new bike in that weight region.

Post subject: Madone 4.5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:22 pm 

WOW, I bit harsh but I asked. :) I did forget to mention a couple of things. I haven't ridden since I was a kid. I am now 33 and wanted to start riding again and hopefully loose some weight along the way. I was going to buy a less expensive bike ($700 range) but I'd thought that maybe I should shell out a little more. I did read some reviews on the bike before I bought it and they all said this it was a good beginner bike. Also, I did upgrade a couple of things before I even rode it and got credit for the parts it had from my LBS .The wheel set to Bontrager Race Lite and the brakes to Shimano Dura-Ace. The LBS gave me a great deal ($300) on the upgrades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:30 pm 

The wheel upgrade made sense, not sure about the brakes though. Anyway just ride and don't worry about it at this point. You have a good entry level bike that should be fine for a while. See if you really like riding and in time you may want to upgrade to a better bike. A WW bike is great but in the end it is about the engine.

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:54 am 

Yes, there are things you can change to lighten up your bike but just enjoy your new ride and get some miles in. Things that aren't working for you in terms of comfort or fit will start to become evident, some sooner than others - saddle, stem length/angle, handlebar shape/dimension (not to mention basic fit). Once you get that stuff figured out you'll start turning to what you want to upgrade and you can come back here to intelligently search for ideas. It's an evolution!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:12 am 

aemulle wrote:
... Also, I did upgrade a couple of things before I even rode it and got credit for the parts it had from my LBS .The wheel set to Bontrager Race Lite ...

Keep an eye on the bearings on the Bonti Race Lite wheels. Mine wouldn't stay pre-loaded properly, so Trek ended up upgrading to race X for free. Apparently a small batch of them weren't manufactured within specs.

Rob

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:12 am