My trip to pick up D2 Custom Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Last week for my birthday I went up to Eagle (not Eagle-Vail) to pick up my new custom D2 shoes. Here is a short story and some pics from my excellent experience.

Decision to go custom
My feet are ~1cm difference in length and I wasn't about to buy two different pairs of Sidi's with the price of them now. I rode Ergo 1's 42 right and 43 left for years and they simply wore out. I tried many stock shoes out there before settling on D2s. I was able to talk to Don and Dan many times on the phone before making the decision. They were readily available on the phone to answer my many questions about sole thickness, shoe sizing, insoles etc. I originally wanted some speedplay specific 4 hole custom shoes but Don ensured me the stack height would be very low even with the adapter. (He was right- more on that later)

Fitting
I finally made the decision to get the D2's with the blessing of my wife and had the foot impressions done at a local LBS- Pro Peloton in Boulder. We also went on the D2 website and chose my colors etc. PP did a tracing of my feet and off they went via Fed Ex to D2. The quoted turn around time was 2-3 weeks. I had to return a week later since Don wanted to make sure one of the tracings was correct before finalizing my shoes.
Two weeks after that I called Don and he said they were ready. I planned a trip up there on an early Friday morning so I could ride Vail pass on the way back. Don agreed to meet me at 8 am at his shop.

Pick Up and Tailoring
The D2 shop is clean and well organized. Upon entering, a wall with a few hundred lasts of all different widths and sizes is there to greet you. If they don't have the right size last, they can lathe one out in a few minutes. Don showed me my crush boxes and the laser scanner that "reads" the depth and creates the outline for the custom insoles. They can refine the insole shape on the computer based on experience. Then they stick a foam insole in a machine to be routed out based on the computer scan. They finally fixe a multi-colored pad on top. Voila- custom insoles are finished.

First, Don set me up on a trainer and used a laser guide to check my knee alignment for the cleat setting. We made a few adjustments to the cleats and insole and I was dialed in in a few minutes. While I was there, Don was able to shave a few areas of the insole once I rode it for a bit on the trainer to really tailor the fit. He also was able to heat one of the toe boxes that felt a bit snug and stretch it slightly.

Don is a guy that strikes me as really caring about his customers and the quality of his work. For example, there was a slight discoloration on one shoe where the heat gun must have touched the mesh during creation. It simply was not acceptable to him and he had already started the process of getting me a new left shoe that was up to his perfect standards.

The Shoes
From seeing the samples at Pro Peloton to holding my own pair, pictures don't really do these shoes justice. The carbon soles are gorgeous and made in house at D2. They didnt budge at all when I tried to bend them by hand. The suede inside the shoe is so supple and soft. The straps are very robust and you can really crank down on them. The toe and heel walking pads are a hard red rubber and are replaceable with thre little screws and a quick call to D2. I took my front ones off though since I don't walk on my tippy toes in cycling shoes, if at all. I was very pleased to say the least. Being a WW, they drop about 70 grams a pair off my Sidi Ergo 1's.

The Ride
I have had them for three rides now and can say that I dont even notice the shoes anymore. They fit extremely well as expected. For the first ride up Vail Pass, I had to lower my seat a few mm's due to the lower stack height of the sole. Maybe I can lose a spacer as well ;) The sole seems very stiff but the insole is rather soft and cushiony- I liked the combination. The top of the shoes mold around the feet well and the straps can be tightened until the blood oozes out of you feet. I really enjoyed powering up the climb in these shoes and noticed the difference right away. They felt rather snug though even with the thinnest of socks. I also had some rubbing in the heel.

On Saturday, I did a 40 mile ride in the 95 degree heat. What amazed me the most was that I had no hot spots.

On Sunday, I did a long 16 mile climb up to peak to peak highway and back through Raymond and Lyons. The shoes felt right and I forgot all about them. Thats a good thing. The snugness was gone and the heel rubbing disappeared. Don said it would take a hundred miles to break in and he was right.

I am very pleased with my shoes and overall experience. After all, Will Frischkorn was just on a TdF podium with the D2's.

Here are some pics from the visit.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

eljamoquio

by eljamoquio

coloclimber wrote:they can lathe one out

Glad you're happy - but my sophomore year metal shop teacher is in my head right now, screaming at me that 'lathe is not a verb'.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coloclimber

by coloclimber

As paybacks for drilling that in your head, you could send your old teacher a dictionary with this highlighted:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lathe
Main Entry: lathe
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): lathed; lath·ing
Date: circa 1903

: to cut or shape with a lathe

My old calculus teacher used to have a sign that said "there is no such thing as a free lunch." He started every class off by saying it.

critracer26

by critracer26

sorry, apologies for the profanity.
Last edited by critracer26 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

coloclimber

by coloclimber

critracer26 wrote:Dude, please tell me you DID NOT POST A *f##k* SPOILER IN YOUR THREAD. The 1 stage i want to see for myself on TV and not know the outcome. SHIT.

Relax, take a breath, actually read the post and stop shouting profanity.

Where have you been the last few weeks? Posting a pic from Stage 3 is not a spoiler unless you wait to watch the entire Tour at once. :roll:

aarw

by aarw

good post coco, very informative.

A bit surprised to hear about the heel slipping a bit.

if you don't mind me asking, cost wise - are we talking around twice the price of new ergo 1's??

pritchet74

by pritchet74

coloclimber wrote:
critracer26 wrote:Dude, please tell me you DID NOT POST A *f##k* SPOILER IN YOUR THREAD. The 1 stage i want to see for myself on TV and not know the outcome. SHIT.

Relax, take a breath, actually read the post and stop shouting profanity.

Where have you been the last few weeks? Posting a pic from Stage 3 is not a spoiler unless you wait to watch the entire Tour at once. :roll:

Yup

Hey - your pics ain't showing up for me....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

frd

by frd

Great post coloclimber, I need new shoes and I wish there was something like D2 closer to me!

CP

by CP

Ciao Frenk
Check this:
http://www.tasshoes.it/
I've never seen them myself but maybe it's worth the look.

mathi

by mathi

Nice review mate , i want a pair now :lol:

DC41

by DC41

Colo, a 10 for the review but -9 for not posting a better pic of your shoes! :oops:

Here are my D2's

You will respect my authoritay! :twisted:
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

Gregorio

by Gregorio

coloclimber wrote:
My old calculus teacher used to have a sign that said "there is no such thing as a free lunch." He started every class off by saying it.

Reminds me of an English Teacher at the fine institution that I attended,
"There is always a dummy in the bunch."
I think I have used this saying a thousand times now.

BTW I have the same problem with feet size difference. Either my left shoe is too small or the right is too big

boots2000

by boots2000

Is black new for D2 (saw a picture in your nices pics of an upper with black leather and black mesh)-
Will they also make black or other color straps? I only see 3 colors on their website.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Good stuff.

They're easily the best shoes I have had on my feet...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coloclimber

by coloclimber

frenk- you could ask if they will send you a crush box and foot tracing kit.

boots2000- those black ones are the upper completely sewn together and waiting to be attached to the sole. There was a box full of those and Don said they are old samples and scraps. You could contact him for colors other than ones on the web. The slipstream arglye is an example.

DC41- I know I need to get some decent pics up.

The pairs of Sidi Ergo 2s would have easily cost me a few hundred more than the D2 custom shoes. PLUS the D2s have a custom insole.