Just to set the record straight...

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
44x16

by 44x16

First - the admission:

I know I can be abrupt and offensive at times. I've always been this way. Forums bring out the worst in me - not because it's "easy" to have a go at someone; more that there are more people to have a go AT!

Second - the facts:

I come from a cycling background of mainly Downhill/street biking. I used to ONLY ride heavy, full suspension bikes; phat tires, bombproof componants...weight was never an issue.

Recently, I've taken to riding road bikes or - to be more accurate - a single-speed steel track bike/commuter. I have also grown to appreciate the pros and cons of "weight weenieism" and have seen many cases of "weenieism" gone crazy!

Even though I still have a full-sus rig, it's sub-35lbs; my singlespeed road bike is 24lbs. Neither could be considered "light" but both can be considered "hardy"! They've been custom built from selected componants that I chose based on longevity, weight, availability and cost.

I'm constantly amazed by how people will spend thousands of dollars just to lose the equivelant of a fraction of a pound from their bike, while they could save 10x that in a lifestyle change.

At the end of the day, it's your money and you CAN do with it whatever you want...but to this old biker who has a firm root in the fact that "lighter isn't always better" it will always be more of a sickness than a cure.

That said, I enjoy this forum and all it's characters - though y'all CAN get a bit too involved about what color some pro's saddle is and argue that it doesn't match his bar-tape!!!

(I think that if I back off the snarky comments and some of you learn to take life a little less seriously and if we ALL get out and ride more than being stuck in front of our PCs, then the world will be a better place...after all, we ARE ALL BIKERS!)

Peace out

Sleg8

by Sleg8

44x16 wrote:after all, we ARE ALL BIKERS!)

Is that Hells Angels or Bandidos :wink:
"All I ask is the heavens above and the road below"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

If the forum offends then perhaps you should not partake?

I'm constantly amazed by how people will spend thousands of dollars just to lose the equivelant of a fraction of a pound from their bike, while they could save 10x that in a lifestyle change.

Well thanks for the advice chief. How do you think my lifestyle could be better?? :hmm:

I am quite happy spending what is, to other people, stupid amount of money on bike parts.

That said, I enjoy this forum and all it's characters - though y'all CAN get a bit too involved about what color some pro's saddle is and argue that it doesn't match his bar-tape.

We get involved about this kind of thing because that the kind of thing we want to get involved with. I do actually want to know if part (a) is 5 grams lighter than part (b), and that it matches the decals on my wheels.

This forum is what it is. Its called "Weight Weenies" for a reason. Not "I have a passing interest in things with 2 wheels and like to slag off people who are passionate about light 2 wheeled things."

Hopefully continued reading of this forum will start to make you think, "Actually, yes, my bar tape could be 10 grams lighter...."[/i]

44x16

by 44x16

Tapeworm, you've missed the point somewhat...

I have more than a "passing interest" in anything with 2 wheels; I've been a cyclist for over 10 years now, have enjoyed and participated in pretty much all aspects of the sport (downhill, XC, slalom, road, trials), I now work AT a bike shop servicing and selling everything from a $150 kids trike to a $12000 Santana carbon/Ti tandem.

I'm also a practicalist: as I stated, I have no interest in knowing how light my bartape is - I'd rather buy bartape that'll last longer! I've been swayed to the "Weenie" side a bit in that now I'll check the weights on major items to see if there's a considerable difference, but if it's down to mere grams then I'll always go for the componant that'll last longer and has less chance of breaking!

You can have the lightest bike on the road/trail - but what use is it if it breaks the first time you hit something? :hmm:

LTR

by LTR

There is a spectrum of people on weight weenies. Some people want to get light but weary parts, others need to know the fine detail of everything on the market and some people will spend all their earnings making the lightest possible rig. I think your understanding of the weight weenie culture needs to be expanded by sitting back and reading a bit more. You might never get it, but there are lots of things in life which you wont get. Being a weight weenie might just be one of those things?
Twelve is Enough?
| NS Suburban | Norco Team DH | Intense Uzzi DH | Cecil Walker Flat Bar | Basso Laguna | Vivente Lugano | Felt Virtue 1 |
| Surly Steamroller | Salsa El Mariachi 29er | Felt Tk2 Track | Surly Long Haul Trucker | Gellie Custom Fixie |

DC41

by DC41

It's takes a stupendously worthless troll to get me to pay attention to what's under the bridge, but 44x16 has succeeded.

44x16, while claiming to understand the nature of this forum, continues to demonstrate his ignorance.

The building of a light bike can be as much hobby as riding. It is an exercise in engineering, tinkering, and aesthetics as well as a quest for performance gains. He clothes himself in the "practicalist" (I can only assume he meant pragmatist) cloak shaking his head in wonder at these stupid weight weenies but never considering that perhaps the rewards they seek from the activities chronicled on this forum are not the same as his.

Then to compound that mistake... he behaves like an ass, telling one poster who asked a simple question about cable ends to stop "jerking around with mindless shit like this" and to "stop making up rediculous (sic) posts just for the sake of it." This from someone with less than 2 dozen posts. :roll: That's not "snarky". That's being an ass.

When called on it, does he apologize? No, he posts this "manifesto" telling us how much better this forum would be if we all were more like him.

Now, with that out of my system, I promise he will never succeed in getting my attention again. :thumbup:
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I sure wish I could shop at his bike store. You go in looking to buy a nice piece of bicycling equipment and he probably bombards you with all of his stupid and boring opinions on what will make you happy. Its not the right site for you. Maybe its time to leave.

44x16

by 44x16

Sorry - didn't realise that "post count" had anything to do with knowledge.

Post Count just means that some people have spent a rediculous amount of time in this Forum, bulking up said Post Count with such pearls of wisdom like:

"+1"

:roll:

THIS post was made AFTER the 'cable-end' post as means of explanation; not absolvement or seeking acceptance.

Do not criticise me just because I am different to you - I am merely observing your ways and trying to understand as many of them as I can; LTR hit it on the head - I'll have to sit back and watch for a while; maybe this will be something I can embrace...maybe it won't.

At least I'm making an effort to get involved in facets of the sport different to those that I have previously involved myself in.

I see WAAAAAAAAY too many riders out there who won't even acknowledge another biker unless they have a high-end carbon road bike and are clad in lycra! Perish the thought!

I don't want people to be like me...just more "open minded" and be able to challenge the "normal" rather than flock like a herd of sheep.

Is that such a bad thing?

Steponas

by Steponas

Give the guy a break.
He`s come back , explained his background , said he was wrong to have made these comments in the " Tin " thread , and is going to do more reading etc before posting. , so why not just lay off him now ?

SPIRITS

by SPIRITS

DC41 wrote:When called on it, does he apologize? No, he posts this "manifesto" telling us how much better this forum would be if we all were more like him.

Seconded.

Yet he should still be given his fair chance.

You can be sure he'll earn at least my ignorance soon enough if he keeps on demonstrating habits akin to those cited.

@ 44-16: Once again my suggestion NOT to call everything/everyone "stupid", "idiotic", "rediculous" et. al. who does not happen to share your EXACT points of view in life.

You might not yet have realized this - but in a modern democratic society, people have opinions - their own ones, preferably.

And that is a good thing mostly.

People don't automatically qualify for the "IDIOT"-label only for not sharing your esteemed point of view. Please try to keep that in mind.

rward325

by rward325

As a person whose introduction to this place was less than favorable I will take his explanation and leave it at that. After sticking around and participating here I like the place, it has grown on me. I don't own the lightest bike or spend all of my expendable income on my bike. I do however seek knowledge from this place. I have found it in overflowing amounts here.

Stats

by Stats

44x16 wrote:Sorry - didn't realise that "post count" had anything to do with knowledge.

You're right, it doesn't but it does have a lot to do with understanding the types of things people discuss on here/familiarity of the forum. There are also many of us who have a number of posts, none of which them include '+1'.

44x16 wrote:THIS post was made AFTER the 'cable-end' post as means of explanation; not absolvement or seeking acceptance.

Fair enough - but i think your mindset is still a bit off... your explanation whether you like it or not, is actually seeking acceptance, however it seems strange to me that we need an entire thread to indulge 1 new member in order to understand their personality type and why they are agressive towards other members. It's like your mum used to say "if you've got nothing nice to say..."

44x16 wrote:Do not criticise me just because I am different to you... I don't want people to be like me...just more "open minded"

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

44x16 wrote:I see WAAAAAAAAY too many riders out there who won't even acknowledge another biker unless they have a high-end carbon road bike and are clad in lycra!

Agreed, but do you think those kinds are on here? I would have thought that even the internet is below those types who stick to their 'boutique' bike shops and whatever the price tag says, dictates quality...

Whilst i understand what you're saying about the difference in weight between cable ends and superglue/dipping in solder or whatever, i think after reading through that post, and some others who've responded here, you'll find that these things are far more than just a weight saving exercise.

Like what others have said, riding can (for me at least) be broken down into two categories - the racing/riding and the hobby of bikes. For many of us the joy of riding/racing is just as good as the search of making our bikes better/lighter (the hobby). I love riding, i do crash my bike every now and again in a race and i do do some dodgy fixes to get it back on the road quickly to continue riding asap. However, this doesn't stop me from being interested in a lot of the nice components that are more often than not, lighter than the cheaper ones.

In saying that, weight for many whilst a major consideration is not of primary concern - just see the number of different frames we all ride - do we all buy based on weight? NO! i would say 99% of us would rate the number 1 priority when buying a frame is FIT.

As far as buying light weight over the quality of the product - see the post "what's your worst purchase" for example of many people who have bought light and unreliable components, there are other thread with examples of this - one guy who bought KCNC brakeset and hit someone by accident (not his fault) but enough to go back to more powerful brakes, Ti pedals that have failed, countless lightweigh carbon rimmed wheels... we all know that there are more reliable parts out there and this forum serves many of us to find that 'ideal' component that is the perfect balance of lightweight, durability and cost... but this is an individual thing and not something you can beat people down about.

I think you just need to adjust your perception of the poeple on here - relax a bit more... i had a bit of a look over your posts since you began and they all seem to have a bit of a negative and grumpy tone to them... this will not win people over on here... and if you do have knowledge to share, which you would over many that are not working in bike stores that do tend to get pre-release information, then please contribute in a positive way otherwise whatever valuable knowledge you have will be ignored because of it's delivery and how people perceive you as.

Sure there are some posts i have read and though 'oookkkaaayyy' but i NEVER post to beat them down and tell them they're stupid... some of these threads as they progress may contain some idea that does help you.

And finally, Welcome to Weight Weenies :wink:

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Like Rodney King and the LAPD:
"Can't we all just get along?"

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Taking this a bit too seriously aren't we :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HanSolo

by HanSolo

Weightweeniology is a lifestyle. Hillbillies can never understand.
Everything can be drilled, except tires.