Transportation of your babies ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stewski

by Stewski

What's the best way to transport mega light bike frames when taking them with you on a training camp.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martin

by martin

Stewski wrote:What's the best way to transport mega light bike frames when taking them with you on a training camp.

That depends on a couple of factors, like: are you using a plane, the train or a car, and if you use a car, how is the bike mounted (on roof - bad, disassembled in the trunk- worse, standing in an SUV - ok...)
other Factor: how much abuse can your frame take? i have a scandium tincan frame in the sub-1kg-range which has tubing so thin i can bulge it with my thumb, but OTOH Carbon fiber frames are less delicate, i hear.

I personally have a "heavy duty" winter/bad weather ride that i use on such occasions, like going to Mallorca by plane. If i had to take the Scott, i'd go for a bike suitcase-style thingy.

Martin

Stewski

by Stewski

Sorry should have made myself clearer, I'm talking about planes. I don't fancy taking a heavy training bike, I want to take my full on racing bike, frame pretty light at 1030gm so do not want to trash

Delpi

by Delpi

Ciao Zauri

popawheelie

by popawheelie

If you want your bike to not be damaged it must be in a hard case!
Putting your bike in a soft case, no matter how thick or whatever. It can and probably will get damaged.
With the new security stuff going on you don't want to put extra stuff in and around your bike in the case either. They will open it and perhaps go through the stuff. And if they can't get the stuff back in they will tape it shut. Imagine your nice case with tape holding it closed and some clothes or whatever hanging half way out. They have to open it because they won't fit through the x-ray machine.

Joel

by Joel

Make sure, you dissambel the stem rear derailleur and handlebar. Even when you use a hard bike case, you need to do it.

nikh

by nikh

PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

drew

by drew

Most decent bike shops rent hard travel cases for a few bucks a day.

Definately the way to go. I have used one a few times, on planes (we know how gently those baggage fellas can be) on trains and dragged in and out of taxis and not even a scratch. Pack carefully and you will be fine.

:-)

by :-)

go to ya LBS & ask for one ov those cardboard boxes bikes are delivered in.... believe it or not they transport bikes all over the world that way :wink: :roll: 8) :shock:

drew

by drew

:-) wrote:go to ya LBS & ask for one ov those cardboard boxes bikes are delivered in.... believe it or not they transport bikes all over the world that way :wink: :roll: 8) :shock:

thankyou smart arse BUT have you seen how they are packed, its an engineering marvel. Everything safely wrapped and padded, who has 4 hours to pack a bike when youre on your hols you should be drinking pina coladas with umbrellas etc. Get a hard case nuff said :)

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

drew wrote:
:-) wrote:go to ya LBS & ask for one ov those cardboard boxes bikes are delivered in.... believe it or not they transport bikes all over the world that way :wink: :roll: 8) :shock:

thankyou smart arse BUT have you seen how they are packed, its an engineering marvel. Everything safely wrapped and padded, who has 4 hours to pack a bike when youre on your hols you should be drinking pina coladas with umbrellas etc. Get a hard case nuff said :)

Pina Coladas? You Nancy 8)

Real men drink Guiness before trying it on with the Ladies when holidaying in Mallorca!
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

If I was only old enough to drink... legally that is. :wink:

:-)

by :-)

drew wrote:

my dad has a hard case & i would chose the cardboard box route everytime :roll:

Cyco

by Cyco

Packinga bike in a cardboard box should take les then 30min, if your not used to it. With practise 10-15 min including wrapping.

The important thing is to get a box the right size- they are designed around the bike they come with- to the mm!

In a cardboard box I remove the pedals, rear deraillier, front wheel and seatpost. Make sure you have a spare axle to stop the forks from getting squashed. If you have to remove the stem get the cardboard spacer to stop the frame moving inside the box.

I like cardboard - takes less room at hotel, less weight (no excess bagage) and QANTAS has really god ones that you get from them and leave with them that are wider than the ones we get in the shop.

doozer

by doozer

the sci-con bike cases are the best around.. I've got a cheaper one but should have shelled out a bit more for the Sci-con Dpends how often you go too..no point buying a decent bike case if it's a 1-off trip.. quite a few shops hire 'em out though..

Doozer :mrgreen:
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com