Superlite vs. Team FSA

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spytech

by spytech

I already own Team issue fsa cranks, i now have the opportunity to buy the superlite version of the cranks. now i am trying to justify spending $100 bucks more for the superlite's to save 50 grams. what do you guys think, is it worth it?. i can also save another 50 grams by changing my FSA BB to the FRM which i think is going to happen regardless.

Is saving 50 grams on my cranks worth it. i mean 100 bucks if i sell my current cranks - which are still brand new (since i have not finished my bike)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

If you like them then yes. I did the same exact thing a few months ago. Had the team issue and my shop just got in a set, so I had to have it! Actual weight savings was 62g over the team issue for a 172.5mm with octalink. What BB and interface are you using right now? I think the lightest would be the ISIS with a AM Classic BB, so 511g for cranks, 141g for BB, and 20g for fixing bolts, so 672g for the whole set up. Very light.

Superlite

by Superlite

Oh, forgot to mention another good reason to buy them, they are the STIFFEST carbon cranks out there. In last months issue of Velonews they tested a bunch of cranks, including campys new carbon and new DA. The FSA superlite was the stiffest carbon crank.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Did they test the powerarm pros? I'd like to know where they stand.

spytech

by spytech

i have to sell mine first, in order to afford the superlite. i was thinking of getting them with the frm ISIS BB. But i think i might go ahead with them. $359 is what i am paying for them, no where i can get them cheaper?

Superlite

by Superlite

No, they didn't test the power arms, but they power arms are at least half the stiffness of the superlite. Nikh once had a link to a page at mtbr I beleive that tested them and other mountain cranks. They scored quite low, and when the units are converted they are much less stiff then the superlite.

MantraPro

by MantraPro

which other cranks was in the test ?
Is it possible to scan a copy and send it to me ?

drew

by drew

MantraPro wrote:which other cranks was in the test ?
Is it possible to scan a copy and send it to me ?

buy the magazine you cheap bugger :) its only 4 bucks

MantraPro

by MantraPro

If it's last month issue, it's hard to find anywhere, that's why 8)
But i'll try :wink:

drew

by drew

MantraPro wrote:If it's last month issue, it's hard to find anywhere, that's why 8)
But i'll try :wink:

I have a copy at home, PM me your address and I wil send yu the mag

spytech

by spytech

So does anyone want to buy Fsa Team issue cranks 175 isis (brand new never used)? :D

Superlite

by Superlite

Who on earth would want those heavy things! :wink:

spytech

by spytech

They are not that heavy... if i dont get rid of them by the time i am done with the rest of the bike, i will keep them.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Why are the Powerearm pros so popular on the really light bikes I see posted on the internet? Are they that light? Are they stiff enough for most riders? When I bought mine it seemed like a no brainer since the light bikes I saw were sporting them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

They pretty much are the lightest, but stiffness, not even close. Compared to the superlite they are about half the stiffness, and only a third the stiffness of the new DA. If you ask me your giving up functionality using these cranks. The weight savings vs. efficency lost due to flexiness defeats the whole point of going lighter. If your really light then I guess it wouldn't matter, but I'm only 130lbs and when I went from old DA to FSA I imeaditly noticed the superior stiffness. I guess it really depends on the rider and what kind of "feel" they like the bike to have. Thats why I ended up getting the CAAD 7 with SI cranks, they are the lightest for there stiffness, 660g for BB, cranks, crank bolts, chainrings.

And why you asking Popa? Don't you have a set that you ride?