Is it worth switching from campy chorus to fsa pro team?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brianwchan

by brianwchan

I can switch my campy alloy cranks to fsa pro team carbon isis ones, for not that much money. I'm wondering if it's worth it? the weight difference is not huge, plus it's a hassle switching bottom brackets. Is the fsa significantly stiffer?

Paco Bonnin

by Paco Bonnin

I would say no. But it also depends on how worn your current stuff is.
I am not a big fan of Isis, don't expect the new bb to be as smooth and durable as Campy.
BURN YOUR LEGS, NOT OIL!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Paco Bonnin wrote:I would say no. But it also depends on how worn your current stuff is.
I am not a big fan of Isis, don't expect the new bb to be as smooth and durable as Campy.

Cool. My current set up is less than 500 miles new.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

It's not about "smoothness" or durability for me. I like the ISIS system except for the wider Q factor. I've been used to riding Campy 102mm BB's for so long that when I got my Team Pro Issue cranks, the wider Q was annoying. I'm slowly getting used to it.

Many people won't notice it, especially if they've never ridden Campy much.
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

brianwchan

by brianwchan

onyourleft wrote:It's not about "smoothness" or durability for me. I like the ISIS system except for the wider Q factor. I've been used to riding Campy 102mm BB's for so long that when I got my Team Pro Issue cranks, the wider Q was annoying. I'm slowly getting used to it.

I'm pretty used to the campy, I actually see nothing wrong with it, never really detected any lack of stiffness on my current aluminum bike ( i weigh 175 lb).

onyourleft

by onyourleft

brianwchan wrote:
onyourleft wrote:It's not about "smoothness" or durability for me. I like the ISIS system except for the wider Q factor. I've been used to riding Campy 102mm BB's for so long that when I got my Team Pro Issue cranks, the wider Q was annoying. I'm slowly getting used to it.

I'm pretty used to the campy, I actually see nothing wrong with it, never really detected any lack of stiffness on my current aluminum bike ( i weigh 175 lb).

I've never been bothered by any "stiffness" problems with Campy BB's or cranksets either, but I did want to try another system to see what all the fuss was about.

My conclusion is I think it's mostly a marketing ploy to get people to buy more new gear. Soon I will be going back to Campy Al cranks.
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com