Ksyrium rear hub problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ivan

by Ivan

The rear hub on my Ksyrium is very dirty and the freewheel has lots of friction. I know i can send the wheel to mavic and they will repair it. In my opinion it only needs a bit of grease (and I could to this myself) so I went searching and I came up with this link:

http://www.tech.mavic.com/uk/produits/road/roues.htm

but you need a password for it. Is there anyone who can explain me (in simple english) how to dissamble the ksyrium rear hub or pm me a drawing ?

Thanks a lot

divve

by divve

name: mavic-com
password: dealer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ivan

by Ivan

:D :D
Thanks mate

ajh

by ajh

I tried grease on mine and I have to say never do this. They specify Mavic mineral oil. Grease will cause the bushing to swell and then you will have a real problem on your hands. Mine seized and then cracked within a day. I then had to purchase an entire freewheel assembly to fix this as they do not sell just the bushings

Ivan

by Ivan

Thanks I'll keep that in mind ajh
I was able to dissamble my front but not the rear hub. On the manual it says:
1. Unscrew the adjustment nut
2. Remove the axle on the non-freewheel side. This wasnt possible, is this just press fit or do you have to unscrew ? There is a 5mm key on the freewheel side but not on the other side.
I have Ksyrium model '04

Thanks again

dark_albert

by dark_albert

Hallo,
i got the same problem on my helium.
i repaired all the bearings. ut this is expensive, because mavic use special bearings wich are ot very easy to buy. but if you got the bearings, it is verry easy to do this.

dark_albert

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Your axle, has a 5mm on one side and nothing on the other. On the side that has nothing, pull out the endcap, it is not threaded. Once you pull it out, there is a 10mm in the axle itself. Use a 10 and a 5 to unthread the axle, at this point everything will slide out. Becareful there are two tiny springs under the pawls that are hard to find if you drop them.

As far as lube goes, there is dumond tech liquid grease which works well, but Im partial to slick honey, it will not damage the bushings and is very slick. But use only a very thin layer otherwise you will get friction from the grease itself.

Friction in the freehub body is not uncommon on ksyriums, all you need is to lightly grease the inside of the body, the pawls, and the rubber seal and bushing. You should learn how to do it, your wheel will work much better if you do this twice a year.

Ivan

by Ivan

madcow wrote:On the side that has nothing, pull out the endcap, it is not threaded

This seems te be the problem ... this side just wont come out :? I guess I just have to keep trying, or is there some kind of trick involved ?

Thanks

divve

by divve

I use a few drops of 80-90W gear oil. Go too thick and you'll have too much drag, too thin oil and it'll run out and dry rather quickly. Also important is to only apply a light coat.

divve

by divve

Ivan wrote:
madcow wrote:On the side that has nothing, pull out the endcap, it is not threaded

This seems te be the problem ... this side just wont come out :? I guess I just have to keep trying, or is there some kind of trick involved ?

Thanks

You can easily remove the left axle cap by completely unscrewing the bearing adjustment ring. It will force the cap off in the process.

Ivan

by Ivan

divve wrote:You can easily remove the left axle cap by completely unscrewing the bearing adjustment ring. It will force the cap off in the process.

I came up with this solution myself even before you mentioned it, I even tried pulling it out with a wrench (using a towel not to damage the axle) but it still stays in place. I gave up for today, re-assembled the wheel (need the bike tomorow), maybe time will tell ...

Any input is still appreciated, thanks

divve

by divve

It sounds like it's seized. Perhaps holding the adjustment ring stationary with the plastic tool or a pin spanner and turn the axle on the drive side with a 5mm allen wrench. Perhaps that'll exert enough force to release it.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

You should purchase an axle vise. You can put the axle vise in a bench vise, and clamp the axle cap without damaging it. Then you just tap the rim with the palm of your hand and it will pop right off. Then you can remove the axle and break the adjuster free. You can get a park axle vise at any shop for around $10.

divve

by divve

I have a Park axle vise as well. It's very soft metal and won't allow sufficient clamping force to remove a tightly stuck axle end. It'll just slip off. Of course you can just clamp the wide part in a vise but then it will gouge and might deform as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbone

by carbone

Ivan, If the cap is seized, try running a metal blade along the circumference of the axle cap (where it meets the axle) and wiggle the blade. I took this picture to show you what the parts look like. Good luck.
Attachments
openFTS-Lhub.jpg