American Classic rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Deruneinholbare

by Deruneinholbare

Does anybody have feedback on the AMC CR350 rim.
tow stiff is it as 32/28?
what about the quality and how long does it last?
thx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spoke n words

by spoke n words

Durability seems good and the build quality that I have seen so far has been very good. If you are lightweight then these will probably be fine but if you are easily annoyed by flex or a heavier rider then you might consider the 420 or another wheelset. I have heard some people complain about the flex but I do have a friend on a set that he rides daily and he doesnt complain at all. Thats about all I know.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

You need to be a light rider for these... or you will most definitly be scrubbing the front brake pads. But they are stoooopid light clinchers, if thats what you're looking for.

Build quality is excellent. branke surfaces are on the narrow side, but that is how they keep the rim so light without sacrificing strength.

I find that with my 420s, I periodically have to put the pads in a vice to file the contact patch thinner as they wear to keep them from biting into the tire sidewall.

With anything, you have to pay to play. All superlight options have their drawbacks, but nothing beats a light wheel when the road turns upward.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

what is the upper weight limit for a rider to use AC's safely?

Deruneinholbare

by Deruneinholbare

In Germany one can buy the rim sereratly for about 60€
i am planning on building these with tune hubs.
I think the rear wheel should be a lot stiffer without the narrow flange distance.
i don't kow about a wieght limit but there might bi one!

Mr_Potatohead

by Mr_Potatohead

I have no complaints about the rims or the braking surface. Maybe I just don't go fast enough to wear down my brake pads enough to cut into the tires but Shimano pads seem just about the perfect size.

Now the rear hub from my experience has been a friggin' piece of sheeit.

The only negative comment I have about the rims is that they have no eyelets around the spoke holes. So keep an eye on the spoke holes for crack initiation, especially on the drive side rear.

I believe IRD makes an equivalent rim which has single eyelets. A 40 gram weight penalty though.

http://www.interlocracing.com/rims.html

[/Napoleon Dynamite voice] yesssss....sweet [Napoleon Dynamite voice]

Can O. Whoopass

by Can O. Whoopass

Here's a link for weight limits on the AC wheels:

http://www.amclassic.com/tech/pdf/WeightLimitsWheelsets2005.pdf

I only have about 500 (half road / half trainer) miles on my 350's (28/32). They've been good so far. They climb real good. I'm 169 lbs.

They have some flex. I don't have anything to compare them to except a 13 year old Klein w/ Campy Lambda rims and Shimano 600/Ultegra hubs in which the front tire/wheel alone weighs about 1.1 pounds more than the 350 wheel/tire combo.

I wouldn't mind trying out the 420's or the carbon's either.

Deruneinholbare

by Deruneinholbare

I see,
there shouldn't be any great problem with the rims because in summer when racing I wiegh 150lb
that shouldn't over stress any wheels.
I don't want to afford a second wheelset so does anyone know about the wear? Has anyone ever broken a pair due to braking wear?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com