De Rosa Team -

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alessio

by alessio

Anyone willing to give me good advice:

Just bought a De Rosa Team frame (2200g) and want to get the best price/weight value.

Am considering campa centaur (10-speed 2004) + ritchey WCS parts, Xsyrium Elite, Sella Italia SLR 135 and look CX6 pedals for which the total weight wld be abt 8.6kg.

Alternatively was looking at Shimano Dura Ace (9-speed 2003) bringing the weight down to 8.3 kg.

Shimano Dura Ace is abt 330 eur more expensive.

Thx beforehand.

JTC

by JTC

I am not a Simano person so I would recomend 2003 Record. You should be able to find good deals on it over the internet or through ebay. Try www.totalcycling.com or if you are in Europe try www.parker-international.co.uk. Even 2003 Chorus would be a good buy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benz76

by benz76

Alessio, where are you from?
If you're writing from Italy, and looking for Campy, try this website:
http://www.shockbike.com.

But I suggest you to look for a used Dura Ace 9 speed. I heard that you can find it for about 400€, in very good conditions. And it's far way better than Centaur. If you want Campagnolo, don't go under Chorus: Centaur (and gruppos below) lacks of lightness and smoothness .

Bye, Benz.

Joel

by Joel

I don't agree with you opinion about the Campa gruppos
The only difference between Record/Chorus and the rest are the weight, the bracket and 9/10s probably.
They change gears as smooth as Record and the rest is also good quality.
Only the BB is an other system and will not last that long

alessio

by alessio

I'm from Belgium.

I've bought this frame new but am still thinking about groupset, wheels etc.

Have found new 2003 DA (9-speed) for eur 760 and campy centaur for eur 431 (dark grey 2004 10-speed). Chorus 2004 = eur 710.

Was told by the campy importer that all groups above Centaur are good, just weight difference. On the other hand, DA is top of the line (but already 8 years on the market). Difference is only abt eur 330.

Secondly still need to decide whether to go for the Xsyrium Elite or the Campy Zonda wheels.

Preferably wld go for the Campy Centaur + campy Zonda wheels because then you have an 'Italian bike' something out of the ordinary. But in view of the total cost of the bicycle want to have the best price/weight value. Have participated already to the Maratone dles Dolomites in Italy, plans for next year are 3 ballons, la marmotte, (France) and some Belgian cyclo's.

Joel

by Joel

Wheels: Chorus / Record hubs with Open Pro rims
Campa Centaur zilver 2004 432 euro (Van Eyck)!

benz76

by benz76

Centaur has different shifters' inside than Chorus/Record. Those are running on bearings and not plastic washers. And also rear derailleur pulleys are different. Same was for crank construction... but maybe this year they've changed it, because it looks very similar to last year Chorus.
Also brakes are different (but not worst, since someone doesn't like single pivot rear brake). I'm not saying that campy sucks: there isn't a single Campagnolo's gruppo that sucks (even more this year that also Veloce got 10 speed), but having to decide between a Centaur and a used Dura Ace I think i wouldn't have any doubt. Dura Ace. Also because when you'll eventually decide to upgrade frame, you already have a lightweight gruppo ...
Things would be different having to compare Chorus vs Dura-Ace. I'd have Chorus, for sure.

Bye, Benz.

alessio

by alessio

Joel/Gert

Have been to Van Eyck last week.

any particular reason why you recommend the Chorus / Record hubs with Open Pro rims ?

Joel

by Joel

In comparaison with the Zonda and the Ksyriums
Pro: The weight of the Open pros with Campa hubs is the same or lower
When they are out of true, it's easy to fix it (with Campa G3 it's not)
You can use them everywhere (kassei: ideaal)
They are stronger
better price/quality
When you break your wheel your dealer can replace it very quick
Con: More spokes, but with 32 CX-Ray spokes it's also fast and bomb-proof

alessio

by alessio

Thx for the advice.

Have decided to go for the Dura Ace 25th anniversary groupset with mavic open pro rimms as the front and rear hubs are included in the groupset.

Joel

by Joel

That will be a nice bike, and quite light

alessio

by alessio

will post some pics when i have de bicycle. Van Eyck told me next week.

Acc to my calc weight shld be abt 8kgs ttl, but will weigh the bicycle to ascertain the actual weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com