Best and Lightest Skewers (again_)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gitsome

by gitsome

Hello, I know this is often discussed and I have seen the thread with a review of some models, but it left out a few including Tune's to name just one.

SO I am wondering what everyone would recommend to replace the standard Mavic skewers that came with my Krysriums. I had ordered the skyline's but cancelled it due to some reviews that were less than positive.

These would be used on the Mavics as well as on a set of Reynolds SDV's that I would like to lighten up.

thanks

durarace

by durarace

I would go with KCNC. Work great at 46g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

Although I like the looks of the KCNCs (matched color for lever, nut, and cam washer), I prefer the new OMNI Racers (OR).

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... highlight=

My black ORs have over 1000 miles and so far no issues to report. I did however put grease in the cam/lever section just so that it's easier to lift the lever. Now it's easier to release especially since I clamp my skewers on relatively tight. Clamping force seems just as good as M2s.

haydos

by haydos

I run Bold Ti skewers and they have been without fault.

The only thing I added to them were some springs to keep them centred when fitting - you don't need this really though.

Carbonman

by Carbonman

OMNI's are great and if you were OK going with Skylines then consider the OMNI bolt on skewers.

I believe Catbon Ti have some very light QR's coming out in various colours. Might be worth a look as I think they are lighter than the OMNI bolt-ons but are a QR.

frd

by frd

I am very satisfied with KCNC. Had some slippage problems at first but now they are working very well. Cheap too.

KB

by KB

My faves are Heylight titanium. I've had Tune's, but I hated them. I didn't like the locking mechanism.

I've just ordered some Bold Precision from Fairwheelbikes. They are almost identical to the Heylights and come in about 50g the pair (same as the Heylights).

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

I do like the Carbon-Ti. They work pretty well and the lever has a stop so there's no chance it enters in the spoking contrary to the Tune's. Although I never experienced this with a Tune, I advise the Carbon-Ti over the Tune.
I have had several customers telling me the KCNC work pretty well too.

Carbon-Ti is releasing a set of 26g quick releases: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-20364392.html

Raxel

by Raxel

Another skewer with aluminium axle :shock:

NS

by NS

Best or Lightest?

My favourite now are the Zipp Ti skewers. Lardy at ~90g but they inspire me with confidence. Tune did not, in fact they scared me

TlM

by TlM

The kcnc clamp good, but when not clamped tight enough they mkae some cracking sounds at the back when putting some power on the pedals.
Carboner

4cmd3

by 4cmd3

Personally I swear by the DT Swiss Ti RWS... they may not be the absolute lightest, but I would say they are among the best.

If you want lightest, then you want something without a QR lever, like something with nuts on both ends. e.g. Control Tech

SPIRITS

by SPIRITS

NS wrote:
My favourite now are the Zipp Ti skewers. Lardy at ~90g but they inspire me with confidence. Tune did not, in fact they scared me

Why would that be?

AC 16 front & AC 14 rear - both with titanium spindles for a tad over 50g.

Exactly my piece of cake.

NS

by NS

I prefer the security of the cam action.

I'm too good looking to risk it with fragile skewers. I cant afford to lose any lucrative modelling contracts

Razor

by Razor

I've had good success with these USE Spin Stix:

http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610 ... -1,00.html

They are light, secure and come in various colors. Good value for the price, distinct style makes them stand out from the norm.
Last edited by Razor on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com