Modification of Components Who is WW of the year?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drjones96

by drjones96

Nice machining/polishing of the Der's, Dropped a fair amount of weight too :thumbup: .

So the guy is an engineer.....so am I. You can scribble equations on paper all day to try to calculate the stresses that the clamp is seeing but it all comes down to how much torque did he really apply to the clamp bolt and how much additional force does the clamp really see when it's in opperation. Did he do a Finite Element Analysis (FEA) on the clamp? (I doubt it)

But then ....it's a Deraileur.....if it snaps....oh well....just don't machine off as much the next time. Just pray that if it does snap you aren't in the middle of a climb and it get's jammed in your drivetrain. :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

big fellow

by big fellow

drjones

would you agree that if the components have lasted 12000 km as claimed then they are sturdy enough?

just a thought..... 8)

Ti

by Ti

I have modified and custom made to many parts to list here, and I can tell you that in most cases all those calculations and figures mean nothing and trial and error is what determines the durability of that specific component to the abuse you subject it to. Don’t get me wrong, this is for making existing parts lighter and not coming up with new light parts. :!: :arrow: :?:

dark_albert

by dark_albert

First my Sterer Plug about 8g.

Second my FD Shifter abou 9g with skrews. The Carbonfiber is only for look. Without i had it about 8g.

I hope to see some other stuff.

dark_albert
Attachments
Aheadkappe 8Gramm1_klein.JPG
Schalthebel5_klein.JPG

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

This is the kinda of stuff I expected to see on this site, more exotic bike stuff.

Ax-lightness
Schmolke
Lightweight
Mods like this

so bring it on!

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

:lol: :thumbup: :goodpost:
BILL NIKO, YOU WILL NOT EVER BE FORGOTTEN.

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

Ti wrote:I have modified and custom made to many parts to list here

Can you at the least post some, perhaps the better ones... don't be shy... :wink:

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH? wrote:Here is a picture of the STI Levers... not sure of how much weight was saved but I do appreciate the refined machining that it involved...

Nice. As long as you don't get your finger stuck in the hole!

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

drjones96 wrote:Just pray that if it does snap you aren't in the middle of a climb and it get's jammed in your drivetrain. :shock:

Yeah, and something else will jam into your crown jewels... :shock:

drjones96

by drjones96

Dr.Dos wrote:
drjones96 wrote:Just pray that if it does snap you aren't in the middle of a climb and it get's jammed in your drivetrain. :shock:

Yeah, and something else will jam into your crown jewels... :shock:

Nearly the same effect. Ever lost your chain on a sizable climb? :( Shifted to my small ring for an accelleration and got nothing but air, right foot came uncliped, Nuts on top tube. Fortunately I didn't wreck. Unfortunatly my cahones had to endure a 20 mile ride back to the car.

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

You are moving :offtopic: ...

bobalou

by bobalou

drjones96 wrote:
Nearly the same effect. Ever lost your chain on a sizable climb? :( Shifted to my small ring for an accelleration and got nothing but air, right foot came uncliped, Nuts on top tube. Fortunately I didn't wreck. Unfortunatly my cahones had to endure a 20 mile ride back to the car.

For me I was night riding (with generator hub as the light source). It happend so fast and was so unexpected that I did one of those "possum rolls" where you can't unclip, just fall over and end up with the wheels pointing skyward. :oops: I had no backup light source so had to get situated completely in the dark, brush myself off put the chain on and get rolling again. But the nuts stayed in tact at least.

Carltontwin

by Carltontwin

Before-86g, after-74g.
A grand total of 12g saved, not really worth the effort I know, but I think it looks kinda cool.
Attachments
53T.JPG

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

Carltontwin wrote:Before-86g, after-74g.
A grand total of 12g saved, not really worth the effort I know, but I think it looks kinda cool.

Wow, did you borrow that off Alf Engers?

(nice expensive crank cap too! :wink: )