My new (projected) singlespeed

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

So, I'm looking to build a SS this spring to race in the world single speed champs next year and I wanted to bounce some ideas off you guys. Heres the projected specs:
Frame: Salsa 04 SS w/ eccentric BB. I'm gonna strip the paint, hopefully it will look cool.

Fork: Pace Rigid Carbon, or ti jobbie if they're lighter or cheaper
wheels: Hubs: DT/Hugi 240 SS with shimano Centerlock
Rims: Stans No-Tubes
Spokes: DT revo 1.8/1.5
Tires: Maxxis Larsen TT

Stem: Ritchey WCS
Bars: Easton EC90 Flat
Brakes: Fomula B4 SL w/Alu shimano rotors

Cranks: Shimano 04 XTR or FSA Carbon with American Classic Ti ISIS BB
Pedals: Crank Bros double ti
Chain: SRAM hollow pin

Seatpost: USE Alien
Seat: SLR

so what do you think? I'm shooting for sub 20lbs, but I don't think that will be a problem(hopefully)

My questions are, do you guys know of any ti rigid forks that are lighter or significantly cheaper that the pace carbon? Also which will be lighter and cheaper of the crank set up?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

Sounds like a good build.

As for the forks you could try Spicer cycles they have them for sale, I think they would work out cheaper than the Pace being readily available in the US.

I have heard of one or two breaking but I wouldn't worry to much, you seam to hear the worst of things on the internet sometimes!

Speak to Gene he is a sound fella.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

nikh, did you order your fork direct from pace? Is that weight on light-bike really w/ and uncut steerer?

nikh

by nikh

Yes I ordered it direct from Pace, however they will not ship to the USA.
They accepted payment with no problem from my American Visa card though! :roll:
I had to ship it to my friend in England who then forwarded it onto me in Texas.
If you want to order it from a store you can from www.gypzybikz.com (who bring you this website) or some UK stores are www.cyclesurgery.com or www.johnatkinscycles.co.uk they all ship to the USA.
I actually brought over three forks and sold two of them so I took the lightest of the three which turned out at 692g.
The heaviest being 707g and the next weighing in at 702g.
No idea what it would be cut I wish I had brought my scale to the shop
now!!

Edited: Link to John Atkins Cycles changed.
Attachments
Pace-RC31-uncut-692g.jpg
Last edited by nikh on Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

thanks...I think that those Spicer ti forks look pretty good, they're under 700 grams and they're only like 300, so I think I'm gonna try those out. plus, they'll flex a little to take the edge off...Are those pace forks pretty stiff?

nikh

by nikh

If I were you I would try the Pace they might work out slightly cheaper (I know I contradicted myself!!) than the Spicer (even with the exchange rate) and you also get the added cool factor of nobody on your block having them or anyone in your neighbourhood hearing of them for that matter!
Plus the new '04 models are lighter and 20mm longer.

Here's the spec from Pace -

RC31 XC Unique ultralight carbon rigid fork (now 20mm longer)

Hollowform high modulus composite construction. High strength uni-directional carbon fibre provides maximum durability. Layers orientated to provide a tuned amount of axial resilience without affecting strength. V-brake mounting kit available
Magnesium safety dropouts ISO std disc mount.
Hollowform cold-forged, heat-treated and cnc machined crown
7075T6 Hollowform steerer for maximum strength and fatigue resistance
Tested and certificated to stringent Din 79100 standards
Handbuilt quality and reliability
Wt; 645g* Len; 440mm SRP; £169 Part No; SF31HF

*Note; All weights given with 160mm steerer tube

https://www.pacecycles.com/newsstory.asp?id=164

The overall ride with them is pretty plush for a rigid fork more forgiving than you'd imagine!

elendil

by elendil

A cheaper and lighter fork ist the Steinbach CC-Superlight I: less than 600g and only 125,- Euro (150,- USD). But you don't have the advantages of the carbon fibre (shock absorbing). I like the Pace most, I'm thinking of buying one, too. If it wasn't that expensive...

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The Steinbach is a known problem. Because it's so light it breaks easy
:evil:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Hey nik how do you like the Pace RC31 ? For general mtb rides ?

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

What do you guys think about the cranks? I'm also thinking about a FSA compact road crank, cause (although this is stupid) I hate the way the MTB cranks look. What do you think?

nikh

by nikh

Hey Tim, (why pineapple?!)

The rigid fork is fun, its a real old school feeling..if you catch my drift!?!

I'll be dead honest and say it is a work out on the arms, there is no rest running fully rigid and one gear, it is hard work!

Sure I miss having a suspension fork but it makes me feel like a better rider picking faster lines and judging things in a more professional manner rather than relying on the suspension to soak it all up (which in all honesty IS nice!)

I don't regret doing it but someday I'm gonna swop it out for the Fox fork!

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Well i couldnt figure out what name to use for the forum and i was also eating can of dole pineapple so... you get the idea :)

I though the weight saving would be nice but i dont want my arm to get beat up in the race.

Does it absorb bumps well thou ? Like small ones and ones that makes you bike vibrate crazy.

nikh

by nikh

If your going to race with them I would use them on select courses, you make the call on that.

Yes, they do absorb small bumbs but not roots!

Do a search on google there are some reviews out there, or try the UK mountain bike magazines online.

Singlespeedpunk

by Singlespeedpunk

Sub-20lbs should be no problem. I am aiming for 18.5lbs with durable parts (not toooo much of a weight weenie...yet!)

I have a pair of Kinesis Maxlite forks turning up tomorrow, half the price of the Pace and only a little heavier! I will weigh them on the post room scales tomorrow!

Rear hubs are a problem (weight wise) and the DT looks to be the lightest, although I am using a Surly fixed / free =@ 350g! plus an 18 and 20 freewheel! (+385g!)

If you go rigid, make sure you use WIDE tyres! Schwalbe King Jims or some of the WTB's, not too much of a weight penalty but a better ride.

Later

SSP

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Does anyone have any familiarity with morati ti forks? How much they cost and where I can get them? The only distrubtor in the US is listed in my home state. Are they the same forks that are available from Spicer, cause they look similar