1500g HT MTB Frame for less than US $500?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jwills

by jwills

Hi All,
I would like to purchase a new HT MTB frame and would like to spend (well) less than US $500. The only options that I have found are the Giant XTC, which I have found for $399 new and around $200 used on ebay. What other frames can you recommend? I have searched from the listings directory and most frames seem to be in the $800-1000 range.
Thanks,
Jesse

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

jwills wrote:Hi All,
I would like to purchase a new HT MTB frame and would like to spend (well) less than US $500. The only options that I have found are the Giant XTC, which I have found for $399 new and around $200 used on ebay. What other frames can you recommend? I have searched from the listings directory and most frames seem to be in the $800-1000 range.
Thanks,
Jesse

Theres alot of good steel frames under $500 i think; but does wieght matters much to you ?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The Giant is a very gooooood :!: choice :up:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

yoko

by yoko

Giant XTC is a very good choice. It still remains as one of my favorite HT (XTC SE1). Geometry os good especially on climbing. Climbs like a goat.

:D

elendil

by elendil

Yes, the Giant XTC is great. I don't think you will find another comparable frame for 399,-.

eurorider

by eurorider

my friend is planning on buying a TREK 8500 ...how does this frame compare to the Giant XTC? ...one thing i know is that the trek is made of ZR9000 aluminum which has zirconium added to it but what are the main differences in material, geometry, price, strength, overall?

i ask because a fellow racer mentioned he is planning to buy the Giant XTC and i'm interested to hear more about these frames...

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

heard of JBC frame??? its a scandium frame weight around 1.3kg with integrate headset. cheap too

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Stylo milo, can you post a link, pictures?

That would be real nice!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

yoko

by yoko

JBC Pro frame is made by FastTrax (Taiwanese Company). I've seen some about 2-3 years ago, mostly in asian countries like Singapore, Malaysia, & the Philippines. Haven't seen one here in the US.

Though I haven't ridden one, it looks nice and beefy like a Giant XTC.

I heard Fastrax is also the frame supplier of other big bike companies & Scott get their scandium from them.

yoko

by yoko

Pics of a JBC Pro frame I found on the web!
Attachments
JBC PRO.jpg
JBC Frame.jpg

masterskier

by masterskier

JBC is nice, i have one, but i actually like my giant XTC better!! Less flex, also consider an old LITESPEED. Theyre titanium, and you can find a frame from 2000 or 2001 for about $400 US dollars. Remember titanium is forever, so year isnt a concern!! I got a 2001 and i :D LOVE :D it!!!
Hope that helps

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com