carbon fiber and cancer (only bike mfgs need worry)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

swinter

by swinter

no apparent danger except to the workers, but carbon fiber nanotubes are apparently as dangerous as asbestos.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/science/21nano.html
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

I saw that. My Bianchi boasts Nano Technology. No need to worry unless as you say someone is working on the frame.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

I glad you posted this news!

Recently the relationship with my Bianchi has gotten serious. This last week we have moved from just talking and kissing to heavy petting. I was planning to have sex with her this weekend. Guess I'm going to have to break up with her tonight.
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

stigg

by stigg

There is a concern at the Ferrari F1 factory that working with carbon fibre may have led to an outbreak of tuberculosis:

http://www.manipef1.com/news/2008/index.php?id=1163

Hyde

by Hyde

Shhhhh!!!!! The price of CF frames is "somewhat" manageable :?

swinter

by swinter

Hyde wrote:Shhhhh!!!!! The price of CF frames is "somewhat" manageable :?

lovin' my Ti frame even more :wink:
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

iliveonnitro

by iliveonnitro

Nano anything is cancerous. Among other things, I work with SiO2, gold, and some microbiological cells for laser tweezer research. Anything that small, especially on the nano scale, is cancerous.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

stigg wrote:There is a concern at the Ferrari F1 factory that working with carbon fibre may have led to an outbreak of tuberculosis:

http://www.manipef1.com/news/2008/index.php?id=1163

Amazing how you got that from that article, they say nothing about CF.
Tuberculosis is caused by a mycobacterial infection.

I stopped drinking water after I read about all those drownings.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

iliveonnitro wrote:Nano anything is cancerous. Among other things, I work with SiO2, gold, and some microbiological cells for laser tweezer research. Anything that small, especially on the nano scale, is cancerous.

Nonsense. We've been injecting colloidal gold into arthritic joints for 40 years in people. Many drug delivery matrices are nanoscale, and completely safe.

There is a potential to lead to lung damage upon the inhalation of any small fibrous particles, but you need a LOT of inhalation. This manifests in construction workers as silicosis from cement dust, wood workers with sawdust, miners with coal dust, asbestos etc.

Unless you work with powder all day long, this is not an issue, if you do, there are N95 masks.

This myth started when a biopsy revealed that the F1 driver Mika Salo had CF particles in his lungs and he developed lung cancer. However, there was no pathology to conclude that one had to do with the other.
He is the only F1 driver to develop lung cancer, even though his career in F1 was relatively short. Oh, small detail: he smoked like a chimney. This fact was downplayed by the F1 administration and PR because of the irony that he was sponsored by cigarette companies.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

iliveonnitro

by iliveonnitro

There's a big difference between injecting nano-scale particles that have been formulated for special use, and inhaling foreign objects that are on the nano scale. Sorry for not clarifying. All the beads I work with are not in a safe, injectable form.

The idea that you need a "lot" to cause some lung damage is somewhat misleading, as there are even a lot of particles floating around on something the size of a pinhead.

Also, isn't colloidal gold more along the lines of micro-scale? I was under the impression that it is around .2-.3um, whereas the particles I'm working with (not the ones previously listed) are closer to 10nm...

swinter

by swinter

If you read the original article, the problem was with the size and shape of the CF nano particles: they are long and needle-shaped -- similar to asbestos particles -- so when the immune system reacts the macrophages are not able fully to engulf the particles and lesions form.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

iliveonnitro wrote:There's a big difference between injecting nano-scale particles that have been formulated for special use, and inhaling foreign objects that are on the nano scale. Sorry for not clarifying. All the beads I work with are not in a safe, injectable form.

The idea that you need a "lot" to cause some lung damage is somewhat misleading, as there are even a lot of particles floating around on something the size of a pinhead.

Also, isn't colloidal gold more along the lines of micro-scale? I was under the impression that it is around .2-.3um, whereas the particles I'm working with (not the ones previously listed) are closer to 10nm...

There are lots of people working around nanoscale particles in construction that don't get sick. They will see a lot more than a bike maker. Don't forget we have lung mucosa that is evolved to deal with clearing this. Buckyballs are being used for drug delivery.

Reminds me of the scandalous lead in window blinds scare of the 90s, boy, I stopped chewing on window blinds after that one.

Colloidal gold is sub-micrometer, any bigger, and it won't form a colloid.