need wheel help

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lightweight

by lightweight

My new hot rod for 04 is a Giant NRS Air Carbon, built with full xt, a skarab super and other stock finishing stuff.

The bike comes stock with X-Max SL disks (1701g) which, on advice from just about everyone, I am getting rid of. First off what would be a reasonable OE sale price in Canadian dollars; I was thinking $1200 Cdn would be reasonable.

The Replacements: I am looking for a light race wheel that will also be able to handle day to day hard xc riding.

The bike comes with xt brakes with centre lock style rotors.

Am I better to revert back to traditional rotors or stay with centre lock?

As for hub the choices are XTR centre lock at 150g and 310g front and rear respectively. DT 240 disk at 154g and 273g respectively. DT 240 Centre Lock at 136g and 258g. All weights claimed but compared at Weight Weenies weights of Shimano and Hugi hubs are very close to actual.

The Shimano's are a bit cheaper and I assume parts are readily available in Vancouver. Also I have had a pair of XTR hubs forever and the performance is flawless.

The Hugis are clearly lighter but I have a few hesitations about their durability. Are these hesitations warented??

On the rim side I will go tubeless. Choices are DT swiss 4.1d @ confirmed 426 each plus stans. Mavic 3.1 at 469 confirmed plus 43 for FORE nipples. Mavic 317/xc717d @ 400g plus stans.

spokes either dt super comps @ 160g/32 comps @ 186/32 or sapim X ray @135g/32

nips dt brass 1 g each aluminium @ 1/3g each (looking for a long term wheel set will probobly go brass)

So now that I have ranted what do you all think.

Potential Weights

XTR + 4.1d + stans + super comps + brass = 1806g
xtr, 3.1, super comps = 1804g
xtr, 317, stans, super comps brass = 1754g
Hugi CL, 4.1d, stans super comps brass = 1740g All HUGI!!
Hugi Cl, 3.1 super comps = 1738g
Hugi CL, 317, stans, super comps brass = 1688g

For all wheels posible to subtract 43g for alloy nips 50 g for sapim XRays and for non tubless 110

Thus absolute lightest would be hugi CL, 317, X rays, aloy nips = 1485 g

For those of you who are still awake your comments and suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

In europe its 9:14 now! I would think you go for the hugi combination at 1485 gram. Then change the alloy nips for the metal ones. Their stronger and will withstand the forces of dicsbraking. This will only add 40 grams to the set.

Good luck
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elendil

by elendil

I have got two Huegi wheel sets (240 disc, 240) and both are great. The hubs are very well sealed. And I ride them on my Nicolai Helius CC (240disc, DT Competition, DT prolock nippels, DT XR 4.1d rims, 1710g w/ rim strip) for enduro/freeride without any problems. Huegi offers really a great quality.

drew

by drew

why not change the X max Sl's for Shimanos XTR's wheelset, lighter cheaper and way stronger. look cooler too!

elendil

by elendil

The new XTR is not that light and not that stiff and much more expensive than a full Huegi-Wheelset. But the look nice indeed.

Ivan

by Ivan

I know a crossmax SL is rather heavy (770/915, claimed) but they ride very smooth, I have a pair myself. Offer a graet balance between cmofort and stiffness.

Joeri

by Joeri

Is there also not another lightweight combination you forgot:
tune mig 75 / mag 170 hubs, sapim cx ray spokes, stan 355 g rims?

Joel

by Joel

Joeri wrote:Is there also not another lightweight combination you forgot:
tune mig 75 / mag 170 hubs, sapim cx ray spokes, stan 355 g rims?

Durability?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The durability of the tune hubs is very good. But i think when you vant to use discs u need Tune king and kong hubs. but they don't have the centerlock. When building disc wheels dont use very thin spokes. They just won't hold up. The rims are the set of your choice!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

Check into Am Classic they have some light weight and strong wheelsets running around at the moment.

You can also look at notubes.com
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!