which full suspension frame or bike to buy?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

marijnvdoorn

by marijnvdoorn

Hello,

I need some help with my choice

Im looking for a new full suspension xc-racing bike, it has to be light, fast,
and no bobbing effect.
I'm thinking of scott genius, specialized epic, trek fuel, giant nrs, intense spyder, santa cruz blur etc.

Any suggestions?

thanks, Marijn

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Esben

by Esben

I can highly recommend the Specialized S-works Epic. I´ve allways been a hardtail fan, but when I tried the Epic, I just had to have one. Better traction, better braking performance and best of all: it saves your energy for pedalling, because you don´t have to stand in the pedals and move around every obstacle.

Compered to other brikes like the intense spyder and santa cruz blur, MTB action wrote, that the Epic is more a racebike than the others. Tests in the german magazines Bike and Mountainbike says, that the Epic is a great race bike, but it´s not as comfortable as many other FS.

Esben
GAZ GAZ

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The epis is surely two thumbs up according to the tests. But how about the new GT ID XC?

http://productcatalog.gtmountainbikes.c ... tbikes.php

It's surely FAST!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Cyco

by Cyco

The i-Drives work well and with a Pro-Pedal shock should be exellent. Also the Santa Cruz Blur or Ellsworth Truth work brilliantly. As a hardtail/ roadie the Epic seemed like a great idea, till I rode one offroad and realised how much I missed the plushness of the Ellsworth - it and other active suspension designs don't kick you on the first bump like the Epic and hardtails do.

elendil

by elendil

I would prefer the Giant NRS (Composite) or the Specilaized Epic. Both are light, both are very fast. The other systems aren't that good in comparison to these two. The Scott Genius could be interesting, too, but I never had the chance to test it (just saw it on the Eurobike this year).

polaris

by polaris

My humble opinions....

GT i-drive: too heavy

Epic: depends if you want full sus or not - felt like a rigid bike where the chainstay broke every time you hit a bump to me.

Truth: damn sexy bike

Genius: sounds like the way forward to me....
.....but it still has to work!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

polaris, are you talking about the new generation i-drive :?:
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

The Epic is a tank (2003) for 2004 they've knocked off about 1/2 lb in the tubing and added a carbon fiber shock link and you can now tune the rear brain shock, so it should function better. If it comes down to buying the epic, wait till the 04s are out.
I think the trek carbon fuels are great bikes, but thats just me...

marijnvdoorn

by marijnvdoorn

and what about a yeti as-r sl?
2004 model with 5th element shock.

any suggestions about that one?

greetings from holland

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

marijnvdoorn wrote:and what about a yeti as-r sl?
2004 model with 5th element shock.

any suggestions about that one?

greetings from holland

I like teh new 2004 Yeti ASR SL, its lighter than previous years and the paint job is done in my town :) by spectrum.

polaris

by polaris

I have to admit I'm basing my argument on the old i-drive and I know significant changes have been made.

However, the eccentric BB route still seems to use an awful lot of metal! Why not go for a normal single pivot or linkage bike and add a platform shock?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

because the GT doesn't bob and rides very smooth. Can't say that about an epic. His springs are only activated when they get a bump. So the first bump is always for you!

polaris

by polaris

I agree about the epic. That's why I said in my first mail that I didn't like the feel of it.

Still not convinced by the i-drive though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Esben

by Esben

It´s not right, that the first bump is for you. Yes, you´ll notice the beginning of the bump, but the brain function is very fast and with the right set up it´s a very efficent racebike. If you want more comfort, buy something else, but it will not be as fast as the Epic.

Weight? 2733 gr with ti-canti and alubolts (S-works size M, black ano ). It´s more than many others, but not that much. And the frame is quite stiff.

Esben Epic rider
GAZ GAZ