Basso to Liquigas in 2009/10

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

micky

by micky

Basso just signed a contract for 2009 and 2010 with Liquigas.

Im a bit surprised cause actually as he's suspended for doping he's not supposed to sign for a Pro Tour team.

Source: Gazzetta http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/Primo_P ... asso.shtml

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skunk

by Skunk

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Liquigas doesn't care since the pro tour is dead and the UCI isn't in charge of the big races anymore?

Hyde

by Hyde

Shouldn't he sign with Rock?

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Kind of makes you wonder about what's going to happen with the ProTour, eh? Now that the PT teams are required to go to Australia & soon to Russia & China for ProTour races I would think that many teams would just opt out of it. Besides, what is that very expensive ProTour license really getting them anyways? Certainly not Grand Tour invites that they wouldn't be getting anyways!

MaestroXC

by MaestroXC

I'll bet DiLuca is pissed about this.
Zealots beware.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

i think it's a step guided by a common sense and may that be the first sign of taking the things over from the 'fat guys'

it's so awkward that hiring a soon-to-be-ex-convict gets cycling closer to normality (and humanity) than everything else we've whitnessed in recent 2-3 years

Fooky

by Fooky

MaestroXC wrote:I'll bet DiLuca is pissed about this.

Di Luca rides for LPR Brakes........ :roll:

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

Fooky wrote:
MaestroXC wrote:I'll bet DiLuca is pissed about this.

Di Luca rides for LPR Brakes........ :roll:

Yes but he got kicked off Liquigas for suspected doping. The thought of Basso there after all HE has been through must be a bitter pill to swallow!
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).

micky

by micky

tymon_tm wrote:i think it's a step guided by a common sense and may that be the first sign of taking the things over from the 'fat guys'

it's so awkward that hiring a soon-to-be-ex-convict gets cycling closer to normality (and humanity) than everything else we've whitnessed in recent 2-3 years

Perhaps, but in the other side if you look at a guy like Jackshe (sorry if I mispelled) he still didn't find a team who would hire him.
And actually he did much more than Basso but perhaps he step on someone's feet.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

This is a great example of not just what you do but how you do it...

As dopers go, Basso handled himself pretty well.

Sure we would have all liked him to say more than yes my blood was there and I intended to dope. The reality of it was that it was the right thing for him to do for he and his family and arguably better for the sport...

There are others that went down swinging and that made them less attractive.

I'm not pro dope, I 'm pro rules... and that means for both the cheaters and the governers...

It's when either one go past the rules that the sport suffers.

darbydog

by darbydog

when does Liquigas pro tour license end? I thought with the ban he could not ride for 2 years then could not ride for a Pro OTur Team for 2 years after that.

Not that it matters the UCI gives out licenses for guys who have served their time and then says they wounl't give wild card status to the team because they have a rider on it that had doping offenses in the past.

So Liquigas might give up the Pro Tour but then they will have to see what they really get invited to
Ride Vellum Cycles

mathi

by mathi

Well i wish the fella good luck and hope he does well , i know how much of a hard time David Millar had when he came back into pro cycling

Skunk

by Skunk

Yup, DiLucas pissed.

Former Liquigas rider Danilo Di Luca (LPR Brakes), who also sat out a doping suspension for his involvement in the 'Oil for Drug' affair, said, "I am happy for Basso and Liquigas, but now there are two things: remove the ethics codes or they [Liquigas] are out of the ProTour."

micky

by micky

Skunk wrote:Yup, DiLucas pissed.

Former Liquigas rider Danilo Di Luca (LPR Brakes), who also sat out a doping suspension for his involvement in the 'Oil for Drug' affair, said, "I am happy for Basso and Liquigas, but now there are two things: remove the ethics codes or they [Liquigas] are out of the ProTour."

What Simoni said was kinda funny. :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Liquigas out of AIGCP