New Zipp bars. Which one to choose?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tottitotti

by tottitotti

I have seen the new Zipp handlebars, and I like the new shapes.

http://www.light-bikes.de/website/new/2 ... nradlenker

The traditional bend with 130mm drop and 87mm reach looks good.
I weigh 80 kilos and is no big sprinter. I experience neck and shoulder pain, when riding more than 2 hours.
Currently I have a 44cm Deda Newton classic handlebar and a Newton stem.

1: Will the Zipp SL be stiff enough for me?
2: Is it more comfortable than my current stiff setup, so that it can help my neck and shoulder problems?
3: I read somewhere, that smaller bars can help with shoulder and neck pain, so maybe I should go for a 42 c-c handlebar. I am measured for a 44c-c.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Principia

by Principia

Light- Bikes news for weightweenies | Light-Bikes on twitter

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I have found the Zipp SL bar to be very reasonably stiff. Not quite up there with the SLC or the Syntace carbon, but rather good. I don't think you should have a problem with it.

If you like the bend of the Newton Classic, I would say the traditional bend would be you best choice. I like an anatomic drop, so the original Zipp bend is my favorite.

As for the width, I think that you should ride whatever width is most comfortable. That requires a bit of trial and error, but tends to be worth it. I would look at your fit as a whole if you are having shoulder and neck pain, that to be sounds like a bigger issue than bar width - it sounds like a distribution issue, and a good fitter should be able to sort you out.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

peterpen

by peterpen

Haven't seen one in person yet, but thst Traditional Bend looks like a really good execution of a round drop. Flat transition from hoods to tops and a nice, long flat section on the end of the drops - some of the new round drops (Deda Campione, 3TTT) seem to skimp there, probably to save weight.

Anaszi

by Anaszi

peterpen wrote:Haven't seen one in person yet, but thst Traditional Bend looks like a really good execution of a round drop. Flat transition from hoods to tops and a nice, long flat section on the end of the drops - some of the new round drops (Deda Campione, 3TTT) seem to skimp there, probably to save weight.

They look fantastic.. must..resist..

BillySpesh

by BillySpesh

I have the Zipp SL and they are awesome. I had carbon flat tops before and had reservations as to whether I would like them or not but I love them. Very comfortable both on the hoods and in the drop position.

I have them on my R3 complete with the matching Zipp carbon stem and the combo looks super slick.

Buy them they are superb.

BS

wogamax

by wogamax

I have the Zipp VCLC bars, mostly because I went to a wall-O-handlebars at my LBS and they were the most comfortable. They have more drop. I needed the tops higher to relax more in the pack and also have grown to like flat tops more than I thought I would. I can TT on my forearms w/o much trouble. I do sprint work and really don't notice a lack of stiffness, even when jumping out of the saddle, but I'm no pro.

timsterc

by timsterc

Anyone know *when* the new Zipp Bars will hit the market ?

I'm looking to replace an old Easton and am thinking about the
new Zipp Contour SL ...

Thanks.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

what shape an width?

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

timsterc

by timsterc

Zipp Contour SL - one with the Aero (flat) Tops

42cm - C-to-C
Traditional Bend - (87.5 reach, 130 drop)

Thanks.

Waldo
in the industry

by Waldo

timsterc wrote:Anyone know *when* the new Zipp Bars will hit the market ?

I'm looking to replace an old Easton and am thinking about the
new Zipp Contour SL ...

Thanks.

Samples for internal testing should be en route this week. The only issue is that I'll likely be on my honeymoon by the time they arrive, which will delay our internal testing one week. They will also be sent out to EFBe for testing during this time, so hopefully it will be a matter of just a few weeks before internal and external testing is complete. Assuming that everything goes as planned (which I will consider to be quite likely given that the construction methods employed with the Contour are now identical to those used with the SL and SLC), we could see production quantities by the end of May. However, please bear in mind that this depends on testing being completed in a timely fashion and there being no delays outside our control.

I wish I had more concrete dates for you but unfortunately this is the best I can do for now.

Cheers!
ENVE contract engineer | Former Zipp test engineer

timsterc

by timsterc

Waldo,

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate the detailed response !

I'll wait 'patiently' ... and hope for the best at the end of May.

-Tim

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Waldo wrote: The only issue is that I'll likely be on my honeymoon [...] Assuming that everything goes as planned (which I will consider to be quite likely given [...] the construction methods employed [...], we could see production quantities by the end of May. However, please bear in mind that this depends on testing being completed in a timely fashion and there being no delays outside our control.

Cheers!

Sounds like you will have a good time. :D Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

I'm glad they are in the works. I had checked out the new traditional on Zipps website but next time I was looking for them they were gone and still are.
There were a pdf with the new shapes for awhile some months ago.

edit: ahh you have to look at the same place... it is still there. :oops:
Last edited by Max Gravity on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

tottitotti

by tottitotti

At Zipp webpage go in under products - new 08 products - 08 product specifications - bar drops. There you have it.

Is the SL and the SLC2 ready and testet?

Still I can figure out if I should go for the SL or the SLC2. I weigh 80 kilos and is only biking for fun - no races and Im no sprinter.
How is the stiffness compared to the Deda Newton bar I have?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com