What are the lightest and best spokes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

Are the Sapim CX-Ray spokes the lightest? Or what is? I noticed that American Classic has offered the CX-Ray spokes with there wheels now, is that to reduce the weight or what?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Joel

by Joel

Some real weight for 64pcs, 260mm
DT Ti mmc 261
DT Aerolite 2.0/2.3*0.9/2.0 274
Sapim CX-Ray 278
DT Revo 2.0/1.5/2.0 292
Don't have the real weight of the Revo 1.8/1.5/1.8 but it should be around 265-270g
The Sapim CX-Ray are one of the lightest and also very strong spokes, Zipp uses them too

Tsielio

by Tsielio

your weights aren't correct joel :D
you don't have any dt spokes :P

ciaooooooo

Joel

by Joel

ronny, I just used wieght from Damon Rinard's site, but I compared the weights for the same lenght.
Kwil dien duts ook alleen maar helpen é, moei u daar ne keer ni mee :twisted:

Cyco

by Cyco

In terms of "Best" spokes, whilst the DT Ti's may be lighter, a spoke with a reduced centre span will have a higher lifespan.

I have never recommended Ti spokes to customers but have built with all the others. All others have exellent reliabity in a well built (high spoke tension and stress relieved) wheels.

Aero spokes are more aero when going foward but in crosswinds their aero benifits are questionable, but the look very cool :wink:

If using spoke with a 1.8mm bend end check that there is no play in the hub hole, if there is and on drive side spoke, use brass spoke washers - these stop the play in the spoke hole and prevent a cyclic loading.