2008 Pro team stuff

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I'm pretty sure Devooler knows how far it was from there.
The motard he talked to is working at the same place as me.
He is one of the mechanics who build up the bike at the Eddy Merckx factory.

Devoolder asked how far the other were behind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caleb

by caleb

cryoplasm wrote:Image

That has to be the most bizarre fit I have seen.

I think it actually looks pretty good. He could stand to have a little more length in his cockpit, but he's forward on the saddle. I always thought the correct bar height was where your back was flat when in the drops.

djconnel

by djconnel

Back flat in the drops is on the extreme end of the spectrum. It also depends on anatomy: short-torsoed riders have more difficulty getting into that position (less availability to flex in the back, as opposed to just the hips).

Andy Pruitt recommends 30 degrees for this angle:
http://www.ultracycling.com/equipment/bikefit.html

I stretch every day, attend yoga classes, practice on my own, and do a twice a week set of crunches and other resistance training. I can get my palms on the floor with my legs almost straight. Yet I can't hold a flat back position.

From a side-angle photo of myself on the trailer, in the drops, my upper back is 5 deg, my lower back is 23 deg, and the net angle from my hip to my shoulder is 21 deg.

But if you look at the photo of the High Road rider (I think this photo is going to set the record for most-reposts, so I won't reproduce it here), he's getting a lot of bend in his back: his lower back isn't especially flat. I just can't do that and still breathe.

But a lot of pros look like that. From Steve Owens on cyclingnews

A misconception that I want to point out is going to really bug a lot of people because they're going to feel at a total loss on how to find the most aero position. Each person's aerodynamics are different. What works for one person, might not work for another. A flat back isn't always best. In fact, we're finding that a rounded back is good for a lot of people, and it opens up the hip angle - typically giving you the ability to produce more power. That's one thing I'd caution people: be careful of how you close the hip angle.

bcheung

by bcheung

djconnel wrote:Andy Pruitt recommends 30 degrees for this angle:
http://www.ultracycling.com/equipment/bikefit.html

That's taken out of context. Pruitt recommends 30 degrees if you're an ultracyclist - which, I'd wager, none of us on the forum are.

Here's another quote from the page you linked:
Andy Pruitt wrote:Because we spend so much time on our bikes, proper bike fit is very important for ultra riders. In every tour a few riders sag and in every race a few riders drop because of injuries due to an improper marriage between rider and bike.

martyh

by martyh

caleb wrote:
cryoplasm wrote:Image

I think it actually looks pretty good. He could stand to have a little more length in his cockpit, but he's forward on the saddle. I always thought the correct bar height was where your back was flat when in the drops.

looks a bit cramped to me.... but damn that kit and bike is hot. I want. where can i get?? :D

djconnel

by djconnel

Fair enough: that article was on the ultracycling site.

In his book, Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists, page 26, Pruitt recommends the following (I looked it up on Amazon: I should really buy this book):

racers: 30 to 45 degrees
fitness riders: 40 to 45 degrees
casual riders: 50 to 60 degrees

measured from the hip to the shoulders, for riders who can touch their toes with straight legs with minimal warm-up. These angles presumably apply to hoods. My angle on the hoods is 34 degrees.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Did anyone notice the tint in the pink Oakley Radars that Pozzato was running yesterday in Flanders? It looked like a hi-intensity blue lens, though they don't list one on their site. Maybe it's a pro only deal and they will slowly filter out into the public realm. It would be nice to get a hold of one.
Attachments
FPZ1001.jpg

airsoft510

by airsoft510

BdaGhisallo wrote:Did anyone notice the tint in the pink Oakley Radars that Pozzato was running yesterday in Flanders? It looked like a hi-intensity blue lens, though they don't list one on their site. Maybe it's a pro only deal and they will slowly filter out into the public realm. It would be nice to get a hold of one.

I'm not sure about the lenses, but he's riding the pink womens version. So maybe that tint is only available with that model?

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

11.4 wrote:
djconnel wrote:Check out this photo as well as
this photo of Cavendish's frame. The cable passes through the top tube.

Check photos of O'Grady's R3 from last year's Paris-Roubaix. The rear brake cable was routed clearly through a continuous piece of housing that was zip-tied under the top tube. The cable stops weren't used. The best photo I've seen of this is on the cover of Ride Magazine covering his win.

I just saw his bike yesterday :) It is currently in Davis Wheelworks. I was surprised by how tiny it is. It still has the battle scars on it, too. I wish I had a camera right now, but it's back home :( I could go check stuff up on it for you guys, though, of course on the weekend, as I have classes and a lot of work to do.

Steve P

by Steve P

A e o l u s wrote:british team frames, designed by some by a greek engineerer cant remember his name.

www.advanced-composites.com

Just round the corner from me

seriousconsult

by seriousconsult

I also noticed that Fabian Cancellara was wearing orange frame glasses. Looked a bit odd with the red/white/black csc theme.

me

by me

Anyone know what size frame Wiggins and Hincapie ride??

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

djconnel wrote:I stretch every day, attend yoga classes, practice on my own, and do a twice a week set of crunches and other resistance training. I can get my palms on the floor with my legs almost straight. Yet I can't hold a flat back position.

I can't touch the floor with my fingertips yet am quite happy riding a TT with an utterly flat back to the extent that it was actually angled head down until I realised that I could happily go up a bit without detrimental aerodynamic/power!

I guess it's a different muscle that you need to strech; I can bite my toe nails if I so something else on me is very flexy!

musket

by musket

zebragonzo wrote:
djconnel wrote:I stretch every day, attend yoga classes, practice on my own, and do a twice a week set of crunches and other resistance training. I can get my palms on the floor with my legs almost straight. Yet I can't hold a flat back position.

I can't touch the floor with my fingertips yet am quite happy riding a TT with an utterly flat back to the extent that it was actually angled head down until I realised that I could happily go up a bit without detrimental aerodynamic/power!

I guess it's a different muscle that you need to strech; I can bite my toe nails if I so something else on me is very flexy!

A few stretches to the floor is very different to holding a static flat backed position over a period of time while pedalling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

http://www.tdwsport.com/imagedesk/pic.p ... pg&thumb=0

Take a look at Pippo Pozzato in this hi-res pic and you can see what I mean. Those lenses definitely look like hi-int blue.