lightest non Rocket7 Shoe

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

divve

by divve

I'm trying to resist but....I keep thinking I need those chrome limited Sidi Ergo 1 shoes :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Luc

by Luc

@ divve

Yeap ! A whole bunch of bucks, but I agree...who could resist ?

:?
Pollice verso.

Dellucci

by Dellucci

Thanks guys this will help me to choose the right shoe for me.
Ciao Dellucci.

cadence90

by cadence90

Talking about shoes is a bit like talking about saddles, since everyone is different...but:

One thing I have realized it that the shoes I have used (Sidi Genius 4 and DMT Ultimax RSX) both have that lock thing on the side, which after awhile I find is difficult to get to fit and either presses into my foot or is too loose. It's a pain. I thought it was just the Sidi, but with the DMT it's the same. :cry:

The next shoes I get will use just the three velcro straps, a la Rocket7, Poggio, etc. I hope that system is simpler and more comfortable.

Other than the DMT are fantastic shoes, colder in the toe though than the Sidi, as they are more ventilated.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

big fellow

by big fellow

i agree cadence

have always used velcro, i just bought the DMT's 2 weeks ago and also have difficulty with getting a good, even fit

i have a wide size 48 foot so it's a struggle at the best of times to find a good fitting shoe - the silly buckle doesn't help!

cadence90

by cadence90

Unfortunately, and we may both have found out the hard way, I bet the DMT fit narrower feet better: the tongue is too narrow for the right length, and the lock strap hits in exactly the wrong spot. :cry:

I like the Rocket7, but $560 (custom) is too much for me for shoes (even if custom would be nice) and I'm not sure the $389 or whatever for stock is really worth it over any other stock shoe....
I guess I'll look at Poggio II, Carnac, Northwave, I'm sure there are other good all-velcro strap shoes.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Haven't used these yet, but check out DMT's KYOMA's .. Claimed 209g per shoe for size 41.

http://uplandsg.com/dmt/kyoma.htm

cadence90

by cadence90

Thanks!
Those look good. I know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow (LBS, shoe department). :)
I just checked and they carry these; I'll see if they fit better than RSX.

big fellow

by big fellow

hmmm they do look good....let me know how you go - might se if I can track down a pair as well :wink:

bobalou

by bobalou

cadence90 wrote:
I like the Rocket7, but $560 (custom) is too much for me for shoes (even if custom would be nice) and I'm not sure the $389 or whatever for stock is really worth it over any other stock shoe....
I guess I'll look at Poggio II, Carnac, Northwave, I'm sure there are other good all-velcro strap shoes.

I'm thinkin someday I'd like to get some custom Rocket7's ore Lust shoes. i could lose the shims I use for fit and get a more comfortable and lighter shoe in return .. but too pricey now.

BTW, poggio's are up to poggio III's now.

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

DMT RSX Ultimax are very very light, Jan also uses them.

Dellucci

by Dellucci

You are good guys , the DMT are very light that true but , I can´t use them for fast Transition times in Triathlon.
thanks anyway.....
PS: don´t feel scared to give me more infos I´ll check them out.

Paco Bonnin

by Paco Bonnin

I thought I'd post this since some have voiced interest in them.

Size 44
BURN YOUR LEGS, NOT OIL!

big fellow

by big fellow

Dellucci wrote:You are good guys , the DMT are very light that true but , I can´t use them for fast Transition times in Triathlon.
thanks anyway.....
PS: don´t feel scared to give me more infos I´ll check them out.

I have used both the DMT tri model, and am currently using the shimano tri model

Both quite light, the shimano model has a vent at toes which is nice for ventilation - you had a look at them at all?

Just a thought....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

I went to the LBS today, to check on the DMY Kyoma: still not in.
Here is what I did find out and thought I would post even though some may know.

The problem I'm having with my Sidi and DMT is related to a "tall" foot. This has nothing to do with arch (high or low); it is simply how tall one's foot is from the bottom to the top, near the ankle joint. Having a "tall" foot means that on some models the closure straps and tongue will not be in the right place on the foot and therefore cause discomfort.

Because of the different lasts used by various manufacturers, from least tall to most tall, the order is:

Northwave (apparently very very short)
DMT/Nike Poggio
Sidi
Carnac
Shimano (also the widest toe box)
He did not know about Adidas, Time, Diadora, PI, etc. They don't carry those.

The guy said, by measuring my feet, that he would recommend only Carnac or Shimano, but they had none in my size. :cry:

Of course at my previous, less expert, LBS they just slapped on the Sidis, they seemed fine in the store. So I bought them, and then the DMT. :x

So, while the sizes between brands may be equivalent, the inside volume is definitely not, and especially on buckled shoes is the major fitting problem...maybe this will help some of you.

So, anyone have experience with Carnac v. Shimano?