Legal question - hit by car, driver not ID'd...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Went well. There's a policy in hawaii where all the insurance companies have to cover an uninsured pedestrian?/motorist?.. It'll cover up to 10k for medical and 20k for personal injury, but I found out yesterday it also covers damaged equipment. The attorney said that my type of case is a little more unusual because normally pedestrians don't have much in the way of expensive carbon fibre under their ass :wink: ... Sounds like it might turn out well! fingers are crossed. the only downside is that the medical has a $5k tort threshold.. so if your med bills are <$5k, you can't sue... Something like that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Mik wrote:Get out the phone book and start calling personnel injury lawyers till you get one that will help you...

God bless the ambulance chasers, they will sue the crap out of this guy. He left the scene, 911 records will show exactly who called. While you're at it, sue Danno at 5-0 for not releasing the name.

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Thought I'd post an update. A week after my attorney submitted an HJUP (Hawaii Joint Underwriters program) application for my case, based on it being a hit-and-run, I magically receive a letter in the mail from an insurance company wanting more info on the accident, and also with the drivers name! Weird that all of a sudden the guy surfaces!!!

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Great news for you! I was just thinking about you situation yesterday, and wondering what/ if anything happened.
Hope it all works out for the best.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Glad to hear that things worked out Mike

...though, now you have to deal with insurance companies *shudders* - my bad experiences post hit and run (outside the guys house though, so it wasn't hard to track him down) were just hours and hours chasing up the insurance company, then arguing with them, they were offering 250 for broken fork, wheels, shifters, bars and more.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

mzagorski

by mzagorski

well, the guys ins. co. grilled me for about 45mins yesterday, but i just confirmed the basics from the police report which he had already... then at the end he asked if anyone was representing me. which someone is.. they he was like oh... we won't have any direct contact again, i should have asked that question before the interview. duh. shouldn't make a difference though... He didn't seem to flinch at the $5k damage list.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Great news man.

I'll be interested to know how the driver got back into the mix.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

mzagorski wrote:He didn't seem to flinch at the $5k damage list.

You lucky little....is definetly a good thing though.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

mzagorski

by mzagorski

PezTech wrote:Great news man.

I'll be interested to know how the driver got back into the mix.

You and me both Pez... I'm still baffled as to how he was finally roped in! I'll try and find out :lol: