Speedplay specific shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Squint

by Squint

scott97 wrote:D2 Custom offer cleat specific drilling.

Last time I emailed them asking if they had Speedplay drilling they said no.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Squint wrote:Last time I emailed (D2) asking if they had Speedplay drilling they said no.

That was my experience.

However, Bont now does offer Speedplay drilling. Previously, the choice was 3-hole or drill-your-own, but I was informed that's been revised. Drill-your-own may not be a bad option, as you get to place your cleat where you want, but if I ever get an answer to my question about width ("wide" or "normal"?) from the Bont forum, I'll be getting pre-drilled.

SL58

by SL58

What are chances to redrill SIDI carbon sole if drilling Bont is an option?

Strangely enough SIDI has dedicated holes for Time and SPD which combined would not ammount for 1/10 of Speedplay users on road.

audiojan

by audiojan

Really annoying that Sidi doesn´t have an adaptor plate for Speedplay! I would gladly pay for one instead of being stuck with the supplied adaptor plate from 3-hole to 4-hole... Not only does it raise the stack, but it adds weight as well...

At this point, I´m seriously thinking about shelling out the $450 for the Lake CX400Speedplay shoes, eventhough I really like my Sidi's...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

eigner

by eigner

Old topic, so are there any new models out there? And which is the lightest of them?
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

cmh

by cmh

audiojan wrote:What shoes except Lake CX400 have a four hole bolt pattern so I wound't have to use an adapter shim from the standard 3 hole pattern?

DMT
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road- ... 162.0.html
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road- ... 162.0.html

eigner

by eigner

are these the lightest speedplay shoes?
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

audiojan

by audiojan

Don't know if they're the lightest Speedplay specific shoes, but the DMT Prisma's are absolutely awesome shoes! Light, stiff and very, very comfortable.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

nycmtber

by nycmtber

fwiw, the bont's with adapters are lighter than the lakes without. The stack height is also lower due to the sole thickness and shape.

I have both and like the bont's more. the single BOA on the lakes does not tighten ideally, and the leather pealed away from the lacing system after only a few months. They are currently being warranty replaced.

addicted

by addicted

audiojan wrote:Don't know if they're the lightest Speedplay specific shoes, but the DMT Prisma's are absolutely awesome shoes! Light, stiff and very, very comfortable.

Could you please compare the sizing/width of the Prisma's to other shoes you've owned?

Thanks!

eigner

by eigner

+1 on that. Would love to know how the Prismas are in size compared to, say Specialized or SIDI

audiojan

by audiojan

I find the DMT's to be sized and width the same as my Sidi's (size 41 in both brands) with maybe a little more toebox space in the DMT's (width wise), but maybe a just ever so slightly less toebox room height (shoe feels flatter). With that said, I can use a pair of Specialized BG insoles in the DMT's comfortably, but the same insoles are tight in the Sidi's...

One way or another, switching from Sidi to DMT has been fantastic. Never thought I would find another shoe that could be as nice as the Sidi's, but well... I did!

LoboCyclist

by LoboCyclist

I'm considering getting a pair of speedplay specific shoes and need some help deciding.

First of all, who has experience using four hole shoes? Is there a significant difference vs using the speedplay adapter?

The models I am looking at are the Sidi Ergo 3, and the DMT Prisma 2 and Radial 2. Any experience with these shoes? I'd like to get my cleats a bit further back than I can with the adapter and supposedly the Sidi offers 6mm more aft adjustment. Any idea how the DMTs compare? Of course, I also want the best combination of stiffness, weight, comfort, durability, aerodynamics... There are no locations in my area to try on DMT or Sidi half sizes.

For reference, I'm riding a pair of 2010 Specialized Pro Road shoes.

Thanks in advance!

Please, use search. There are topics already on this

nagge

by nagge

Im riding sidi wires with speedplay drilling. The only noticeable difference is the lower stack height.
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

Hi,

I have been using DMT Radial, Bont A1, and Currently Lake CX401, all with 4 holes.
In term of Fit, Bont is the best with perfect fit and stiffness. But it fit so precisely that you cannot actually wiggle your fingers inside the shoe after long ride. Lake is more roomy. DMT fits nice, but after less than 12 months of use I crack the heels and it is not replaceble.

If I have to choose, I go with Bont (But probably need 1/2 number larger size).

Never try SIDI before.

Andreas W.