Lightweight seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mzagorski

by mzagorski

I'd suggest a Thomson Masterpiece (www.lhthomson.com). Aluminium, well made, long lasting and not too heavy. Approx 150g depending on size.

If you search Ebay there are a few listed at about $115.

drjones96

by drjones96

Thomson Makes a Setback Elite 31.6mm post in three lengths

SP-E110SB 31.6 x 287mm 194 grams $ 85.95
SP-E109SB 31.6 x 367mm 223 grams $ 85.95
SP-E116SB 31.6 x 410mm 247 grams $ 85.95

Not laid back Elite 31.6mm post in three lengths

SP-E110 31.6 x 287mm 194 grams $ 79.95
SP-E109 31.6 x 367mm 223 grams $ 79.95
SP-E116 31.6 x 410mm 247 grams $ 85.95

I'd think 287mm would be plenty long for a conventional road frame. Not too 'exotic', easy to get, reasonably priced.

They make a 31.6mm in the Masterpiece but it isn't Setback.
SP-M107 31.6 x 350mm 205 grams $ 139.95

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simonali

by simonali

Thomson setback their posts by bending them in the middle, which looks pants! I'd rather have one that's properly designed.

drjones96

by drjones96

simonali wrote:Thomson setback their posts by bending them in the middle, which looks pants! I'd rather have one that's properly designed.

Well....what do you recommend then? Name a post that's 'properly designed'. IMO there is nothing wrong with Thomson's design. The guy asked for non-exotic setback 31.6mm posts. That's what I gave him.

simonali

by simonali

Need I say more!

drjones96

by drjones96

Yes....you do need to say more.

Thomson bends the post after it's machined to get the laid back geometry....yeah.....so what. As long as they use the proper technique for bending tubing then there isn't an issue. And I believe that they do it correctly. There are plenty of other posts out there that do the same thing. This is a non-issue.

simonali

by simonali

drjones96 wrote:This is a non-issue.

For a non-issue, you seem to be pursuing it quite doggedly! :?

I think for quite a few people, myself included, looks are an issue and having a part on my bike that makes it look like it's had an elephant riding it is a big no-no. When I said properly designed, I meant a proper offset clamp. The Thomson bend is just way of getting a few more sales out their existing design without having to re-design and re-tool.

And it still looks pants! [/i]

drjones96

by drjones96

You and I have a difference in opinion. I think the post looks fine, it is structurally sound and the clamp is well made. Did they do it to save money? Probably. But they'd also have to change the clamp design to something more conventional to do it any other way and the Thomson clamp is one of the things that makes their post what it is. And to me, it's great.

I'm still waiting on you to give the guy recommendation for another post instead of trashing the Thomson post.

(A British guy that I work with explained the term "Pants" to me just now in the context that you used it. I moved to Thomson from a post that had a single allen bolt on an offset clamp. It was totally "pants" and slipped all the time nearly resulting in my demise on several occations. Since I switched I haven't had any issues with it slipping so you aren't going to hear me complain about a good thing.)

indytrekracer

by indytrekracer

I have used Thomson seatposts for a long time, and they are rock solid. The setback posts appear to me to have the set back angle machined. What makes anyone believe that set back is achieved through bending?

Not liking the look of a part is fine, but it doesn't mean the design is bad. I think that they do it their way because it is the lightest and strongest way to make the seatpost.

drjones96

by drjones96

As an engineer who is also a bit familiar with the machine shop, I don't know how it could be easily achived to make that post without first machining it and then bending it. It would cost twice as much to make if they had to machine the thing with the bend in it.....and therefore cost twice as much to buy. But it doesn't cost twice as much, it costs the same price. Which alone proves to me that all they did was machine it and then bend it. If you have information to the contrary please post it because it would be cool if they used another method than what I'm thinking to make it.

Tube bending, when done appropriatly is an acceptable method of manufacturing. And as I said before the Thomson post is a very sound post (straight or setback).

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

colnago, please check your private message.

indytrekracer

by indytrekracer

I am an engineer too, and also familar with a machine shop. I also have actually seen a Thomson Set Back Seat Post and the set back feature is machined. Yes this requires some extra effort.

Go to

http://www.lhthomson.com/

and check out their engineering services. Thomson is a world class machine shop that also make stems and posts.

I have an X2 stem and master piece setback seat post on the way. I'll put up some pictures

drjones96

by drjones96

@indytrekracer

Below is an email correspondence between myself and Thomson:

Sent: Tue 2/1/2005 1:27 PM
To: Jones, Brian L
Cc:
Subject: Re: Setback Posts

You are correct. After machining but before anodize the posts are cold bent in a tube bender we built.

David

At 01:02 PM 2/1/05, you wrote:

Thomson,
I was curious about how your setback seatposts are manufactured. It seems to me that they are machined first and then bent to give them the setback geometry. Is this correct? If not please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Brian Jones

yoko

by yoko

simonali wrote:Image

Need I say more!

Looks like the post on my Freestyle BMX back in the 80's

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

....had a laid back post on my Diamondback BMX as well. It was chromed steel, not machined alluminum though.