Lightweight seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Colnagoman

by Colnagoman

Hi, is there anyone who can recommend me a nice (light) seatpost. My current one is an ITM Millennium carbon (170gr) in combination with a Tune Speedneedle. The ITM is burst so I have to get me a new one. I don't want carbon this time, but it must be around the weigt of my ITM or, if it is possible, below it. Anyone suggestions, titanium, aluminium, price?

Thanks[/list]

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Get a USE Alien Alloy or TI. They're lighter than ITM and more reliable. I've had a carbon one for 4 years with no problems other than a metal shim seizing in the frame due to lack of care!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pedä

by Pedä

what is about a new ultimate or a heylight post?

both are available under 100g (the shortest/ thin version ~200mmx 27,7mm) and cost about 150€

http://www.b-t-p.de/BTP-English/product ... nents.html

http://www.heylight.de/produkte/sattels ... leicht.htm
Pedä

bobalou

by bobalou

While on the subject .. how about the EC90? Anybody have any experiences with that?

I like the standard one-bolt design. It's relatively cheap in the U.S. I regularly see them going new for 100-130 $ on ebay.

Superlite

by Superlite

EC 90 is nice, but kind of flexy, due to the offset. I wouldn't buy the offset version again.

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

Schnolk TLO is the lights, but you will pay for it.......... 380euro

Luc

by Luc

Just received mine : TLO, 27.2 / 300 mm : 92 gr....

Breathtaking !
Pollice verso.

drjones96

by drjones96

I have a Thomson Masterpiece (158g). CNC Machined Aluminum, weighs less than your ITM did, pretty darned stiff too.....a little on the pricey side at $140.00 US.

OLver

by OLver

My Extralite UL2 is 156g uncut. (360mm) So it's going to be fairly light when i'll cut it. And it's strong.

drjones96

by drjones96

Is this a common thing to do? Cut your seatpost? Dude, I'd be careful if I were you.

OLver

by OLver

drjones96 wrote:Is this a common thing to do? Cut your seatpost? Dude, I'd be careful if I were you.

Is it a common thing? Yes.

I'll cut it so it ends 1-2 cm under the end of top tube jonction.

Luc

by Luc

I'll cut it so it ends 1-2 cm under the end of top tube jonction

...not afraid to find one of these days the seat tube in direct combo with your a** ?

:?:
Pollice verso.

drjones96

by drjones96

Well what i'm thinking about is most seatposts have a line on them that indicates that 'thou shalt not extend post out of frame beyond this line'. I guess as long as your post has at least that length of post below the line sticking in the frame then you should be ok.

So for example if you get your optimal riding position for your post and the line is say 20mm below the top of the seat tube then you can cut 20mm off the bottom and still be safe. The down side it would seem is that you would no longer have the ability to raise the post beyond where you originally had it set. Say if you decided you needed to raise the post because you thought you weren't getting enough extention on your pedals. In that case it would be best to give yourself some room for error and not cut the full 20mm off....maybe you should only cut 10mm instead?

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

Except if the post is machined or butted in a way that the bottom is wider/ stronger than the top (I think this is the case of new ultimate). I guess you can only cut posts that have the same tube diameter/shape all along the post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the Repeater

by the Repeater

Curious if there are any recommendations for a 31.6mm setback post...

Without going to "exotics" such as heylight or schmolke... I was considering an EA70...???