The 650 question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ras11

by ras11

As I make my Christmas list for this year, I wonder what Santa may bring. And whether I've been a good racer, and not get the stiff saddle in the ass. So I have pondered this,

Are 26" (6750c) wheels better? They are lighter and stronger. They accelerate like a white kamikaze crit rider from Harlem.

The pros and cons if you please gentleman. Here's how I see it in compairison to 700c. If you can put up with the bother, it's worth it.

Pros
- lighter
- stronger
- more aerodynamic

Cons
- don't flat, or your race is over
- limited frame selection
- limited rim selection (but zipp makes them)
- limited tire selection (but Tufo makes them)
- most shops don't stock 26" anything (maybe a tube if you're lucky)
:-) Toys-R-Us

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drew

by drew

Never heard a scientific answer to this one that pops up time to time, but Jalabert used them in the tour in 01 or 02 why I dont know. Surely if they were better pros would ride them more right? I agree with your pro points. If Lance decided to use them surely back up would not be an issue so why not/

How about increased rolling resistance due to more RPM's per pedal stroke over 700's?

Superlite

by Superlite

Be a man, use 700c. Only women should ride them. Besides, you won't look that cool on them, everyone will think you ripped them off of a 12 year olds bike. :wink:

Joel

by Joel

When you need a 56cm frame with 650c it's like 65cm with 700c: it's just awful. Jalabert used them only in uphill TT. They accelerate faster, but you lose more speed on long when not pedalling because of the increased radius

drew

by drew

Joel wrote:When you need a 56cm frame with 650c it's like 65cm with 700c: it's just awful. Jalabert used them only in uphill TT. They accelerate faster, but you lose more speed on long when not pedalling because of the increased radius

Decreased radius surely? This is not about looks fellas, everytime i see a thread on this topic I eagerly await useful info on it NOT uggh they look crap. Come on you can do better than that surely

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Did a quick search and this is a good article on the advantages and disadvantages of a 650 vs 700 wheels.

http://www.innercitycycles.com.au/tricent/650C700C.htm

:-)

by :-)

Superlite wrote:Be a man, use 700c. Only women should ride them. Besides, you won't look that cool on them, everyone will think you ripped them off of a 12 year olds bike. :wink:

spoken like a true fool... 650's have some true advantages, shame the uci felt the need to ban odd sized wheels.... be interesting how many riders would choose a 650 front wheel on their tt bikes in say the tdf

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Be a man, use 700c. Only women should ride them. Besides, you won't look that cool on them, everyone will think you ripped them off of a 12 year olds bike. :wink:

Tell that to Olano, Virenque and Jalabert, who used them in Mtn stages of the Tour.

If it's smaller than a 55cm frame, I would say there is no reason not to use them, there are also Al rims from Velocity, Sun, FiR and Mavic available as well as the carbon tubular rims/wheels.
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

Spoken like a fool? Thats why Armstrong never used them, or pantani( ok he did) , or Ullrich. 650c doesn't have any real advantage besides lower rotational mass, which is why Jaja used them climbing. But in reality it does nothing, it's more mental then anything.

And 650c still look like 12 year olds wheels regardles of who rides them. Unless your doing triathlons or are just a really small rider 650c.

And as for people in the tour I'm not certin, but using a 650c in the front that is no longer legal.

And screw you : -) for calling me a fool, thats why I put the winking icon after my statement, I was joking around. I'm getting tired of you talking crap to me.
Last edited by Superlite on Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Superlite wrote:Spoken like a fool? Thats why Armstrong never used them, or pantani, or Ullrich. .

Pantani has used them.

Ullrich and Armstrong are too big, the frame would be heavier and would not handle as well on the downhills.
Ride lightly!

Joel

by Joel

It's only forbidden to use a 26" in front and a 28" in the rear. Two 26" wheels should be legal

Joel

by Joel

drew wrote:
Joel wrote:When you need a 56cm frame with 650c it's like 65cm with 700c: it's just awful. Jalabert used them only in uphill TT. They accelerate faster, but you lose more speed on long when not pedalling because of the increased radius

Decreased radius surely? This is not about looks fellas, everytime i see a thread on this topic I eagerly await useful info on it NOT uggh they look crap. Come on you can do better than that surely

I just wrote this so you could understand why you lose speed :evil:

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Beloki used them in last years tour on his climbing bikes, they were specially designed alu versions that were lighter than the carbon TCRs. I don't know how big he is, but the frame really didn't look that wierd.

Superlite

by Superlite

I agree with that, his frame didn't look that weird, but I think the only reason it didn't was due to the compact geometry of it.

See, if 650c wheels worked Beloki should have beaten Armstrong last year in the mountains, no? :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drew

by drew

Superlite wrote: See, if 650c wheels worked Beloki should have beaten Armstrong last year in the mountains, no? :wink:

Before or after he broke his hip and leg? :D :D If he was a real hardman like Brit Sean Yates he would have dusted himself off ducked taped his wounds shut and kicked LA's butt on the next hill, Spanish wuss :D