What's the correct technique for putting on a mussette bag?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Chasing Dreams

by Chasing Dreams

What is the easiest and least hassle way of grabbing and putting on a mussette bag?

I'm thinking that I should grab both of the straps in one hand but then I'm not sure what to do from there. Preferably, I would like to keep one hand on the handlebars when possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

legs 11

by legs 11

Stuff your arm through the gap between the straps, that is presuming your bag is being offered in the correct manner, and bung it over your head.
Good show old bean. :lol:
Pedalling Law Student.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

yeah, those mussette bags are really, really complicated.

Chasing Dreams

by Chasing Dreams

I can see that I could put the shoulder straps over my head if I can grab just one of the straps, but what would you do after this happens?:

Chasing Dreams

by Chasing Dreams

If there are videos of people donning feed bags, I think that would be helpful.

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

Grab it, sit up and take it over your head so that it hangs down like a big... Purse?
Hell yeah!

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Here's how not to do it...

EspenBjørgan

by EspenBjørgan

In other words, don't hang it on your handlebar.
Hell yeah!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

If you grab it like the Toyota rider, you have to be careful to grab it on the join of the strap to the bag. I've been in too many races where a rider has grabbed it by the straps and they have torn out of the bag and it has ended up on the ground.
Once you have it, the easiest way is to sit up no hands and while grabbing the strap with both hand, duck under the strap.
Now put one hand on the bars and use the other to sling the bag into the middle of your back.
It's now a good idea to get back up to speed and then worry about decanting the stuff into your pockets.
Also a couple of hints for positioning yourself and your feeder in the feed zone.
If you can get them to be as close to the start of the zone as possible. This means you have your bag and can clear out of the way of the other riders while they duck and dodge in and out to find their feeder.

Aslo get the person holding the bag up to hold it with their hand so that their fingers are on the side away from the direction the riders are coming from. That means the bag pulls out of their fingers and does not pull their whole arm.
I will try to post some blow by blow photos soon.
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).