Crankset q factors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

Does anyone know the q-factor of fsa carbon superlight, or other fsa cranks, dura ace cranks, power arms, and cannondal Si cranks?

I'm trying to see which has the lowest, my feet rub on the FSA Superlights, so I need something narrower. Any suggestions and q-factors appreciated.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Is it the finish rubbing off that is bothering you? If it is I have stopped my shoes from rubbing by turning my cleats so the shoe can't rub. It takes some playing around but it works. I do it with my speedplays. I think that is what your riding. You do have to rotate your shoe further out to unclip but I haven't found that to be a problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

Can somebody explain me the Q factor?
And what is the advantage of a small Q factor?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

This is the space between the cranck and the rear fork. The lower it is, the closer is the cranck to the rear fork. The cranck has to be real close to the rear fork that is the fastest setup.

The picture attached is showing a way to big q factor. 2 fingers! So its WRONG
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

spytech

by spytech

why dont you try the Look CX-7 pedals you can adjust how far the pedals are from the crank :wink:

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I've heard that having a low Q-factor is not as important as it was thought.
Not for the bike but for the rider. I'm not sure but it makes sense to me that your foot should be in line below the knee and hip. Otherwise for some people you could get into knee or foot problems.
For me it's like old school snow skiing. Skiing with your skis close together was considered good form. Now having your skis shoulder width is the way to go. I don't ski anymore but if I went I'd have my skis close together. Old habits die hard. I worked sooo hard to get them close together!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I think that when you have a high q factor you bring you bike in a disbalance while pedaling. And thats why we are all here for, a low q factor saves weight!
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Superlite

by Superlite

What? I'm not looking at low q-factor to save weight, thats stupid! It's for performance. With my old FSA cranks the q factor was to damned big so my feet hit the crank arms. Save weight? Oh boy. :roll:

spytech

by spytech

Like i said if you want to adjust q-factor you can so with the look CX-7 pedals: Adjustability: Q Factor, Seat Angle, Spring Tension

http://www.lookcyclesusa.com/pp-cx-7.htm

check them out. They are not that lite, but they will do the job.

Superlite

by Superlite

No thanks, I use speedplay.

It doesn't matter anymore anyhow, I just ordered my frame with SI cranks, it has the lowest q-factor available. The best thing about these cranks is they only weigh around 30g more then a power arms, and a very light weight bottom bracket set up. Plus these bad boys are wayyyyyyyy stiffer.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Superlite i think you got me wrong. What i meant is that when you are getting your q factor down your performance goes up! :D The weight saving is just an added extra! :!:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Ah, very good. :lol: