Mtb shoes Vs Road shoes and power transmission

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tippster

by Tippster

When comparing top end mtb shoes Vs top end road shoes, do the road shoes provide an improved power transmission?

I'm currently using Shimano M221 mtb shoes. I was considering having some road shoes / pedals / cleats for road use on my mtb.

cheers!
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

It depends on the shoe, but by brand not really.

I use John Luck for XC and Road, and they have exactly the same build with the exception of the rubber tread.

The issue is pedals (security and platform).

Tippster

by Tippster

I'm currently running Shimano 959 pedals (XTR mtb ones) with Shimano M221 shoes (top end mtb shoe). I'm running a lightweight fully rigid mtb on the road.

For long distance road cycling (30 to 100miles) would I see an appreciable improvement with top end road pedals and shoes?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Bruiser

by Bruiser

For racing purposes the main difference between pedals is the security that you won't pull your foot in the sprint and having a larger platform than SPDs.

If you're happy with SDPs there isn't much of a difference (except that you can walk to the coffee shop and we can't :D )

Carbon soled shoes might be a little stiffer (watch for comfort).

homegrown

by homegrown

I recall a couple years ago some top MTB Pros were gluing cut up tires onto road shoes (Ryder Hjesdal - bad spelling sorry, and some other Canadian pros if I recall right.) Apparently they liked the stiffer soles. However, I personally think that the difference between a top end MTN shoe and road shoe (both using carbon soles) would be minimal. Comfort could be an issue over long rides. I used road shoes for a couple seasons and I really missed having the toe spikes. I glued on treads, but on steep uphills (especially after rain) it was damn near impossible to run up them - not good in races! So in conclusion, I would say don't worry too much about any power loss.

Cyco

by Cyco

A M221 shoe is not as stiff as a full carbon road shoe, with the carbon only coming back as far as the start of the arch.

Most high quality road shoes will be stiffer than this, but the ultra stiff shoes will feed more buzz into your body - many of the top shoes have optional stiffeners so you dont have 2 put up with this buzz if you dont want to.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

the_taaboo

by the_taaboo

The frist difference is the larger contact area to the pedal, but only if you use pedals like Campa,etc. , on Speedplays, etc. this point fade out.

The second dirfference is that the sole is nearer to the pedale angle on road shoes.

Regarding the stiffness, I think the manufactors use the same parts for both kind of shoes -> save money in production and marketing. And of course nowone can say the road/mtb shoe is better...

Cheers
Taaboo
Think about the lightest part on your bike? Your brain! -Use it and do not buy any component, but the one which suits your riding style...

Joeri

by Joeri

It would be a light shoe to glue toe spikes with epoxy harse onto the sole of a road shoe I think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

keithster

by keithster

personally I use mountain shoes on my road bike, they are much easier to walk in.
when your talking stiffness in road shoes or mountain shoes, you get what you pay for: a carbon sole will be a lot stiffer than a nylon sole etc donno if there is a difference based on soles, but there is one based on comfort.
Jack of all trades, master of none.