Numb Dick

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Egged

by Egged

Hey,

Saddle nose is slightly pointed down, seat not too high everything seems right but on on the trainer I get a numb dick. I am using a Fizik Arione Carbon. I don't get one on the road.

Any suggestions? Should I change saddle would the Arione Tri make any difference with more padding on the nose? I have 2 kids so no worries on that front :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

It may just be the area isn't used to the fairly static motion on the trainer, try sliding arround a little more - I used to get, well, not numb, but definite discomfort arround the area for a while on the trainer, but learnt to move arround more and that certainly helped. If that doesn't then maybe try a saddle with a different shape, or the tri version with more padding. Unfortunatly theres no real hard and fast (excuse the pun) rule for saddles.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

I sometimes have similar issues.

I think its because on the trainer your not moving around much at all, not even laterally as the bike is always bolt up right.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I'm a big fan of the cut-out saddles. They take a while to find the sweet spot, especially my Teknologika, but once you do no more numbness. Worse then the numbness is the prostatitis that is sure to follow. My left nut hurt so bad and my stomach I could barely standup straight. I recommend switching to something else as soon as possible. Good luck.

smithy1.0

by smithy1.0

I get that on the turbo when I use a non-cutout saddle. Cutout saddle, problem solved (at least for me). I use Specialized Toupe.
Orbea Alma Carbon MTB
GT-R Ultra Carbon Road

Click for my Blog!

aarw

by aarw

smithy1.0 wrote:I get that on the turbo when I use a non-cutout saddle. Cutout saddle, problem solved (at least for me). I use Specialized Toupe.

likewise. always had problems with my flight saddle when on the turbo, although not on the road. i guess it's the lack of movement. not an issue with the toupe though.

VT to CA

by VT to CA

Another +1 for cutouts... or, if your assbones can handle it, something with very little padding... I ride either cutouts (various SI Flows, ProLogo Nago Pas) or basic SLR's... the cutouts relieve any potential numbness no matter how plush the padding, and SLR's don't have enough padding to push upwards into anything causing any problems to begin with...

Ariones always looked like cock-killers to me... no cutout, lot's of padding (except the K1, or course).

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

I've got to agree about cutouts as well, I was able to handle multiple 30 hour weeks with only 1-2 hours off the wind trainer ( :shock: ) and I'm pretty sure it was my cutout saddle that stopped me from loosing certain vital bodily functions. Was a Flite Trans Am - nice saddle, not the lightest I'm sure, but just enough padding and a nice cutout and shape to boot.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

Zeed

by Zeed

maybe the saddle doesnt fit you? the arione slants down at the sides quickly, so it puts alot of pressure on your "dick nerves" for some people. however, the saddle i ride on the road (aliante) for some reason gets me numb on the trainer as well on the same bike. Thats because as everyone said you don't move around as much. Remember to get out of the saddle every 5 or so minutes.

Luc

by Luc

If this "numbness" (paresthesia) appears to be more recurrent and/or longer in duration, don't get into this trouble called "Alcock channel syndrome"...you should see a neurologist asap, and, of course, shift saddle.

:?
Pollice verso.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kraaf

by Kraaf

One more for cut outs. At least my Specialized Toupe. Went from:
San Marco Rolls: Horrid! (confirmed by Tour test),
to selle Italia SLR XP: numbness took longer to set in,
to Toupe: no numbness at all, even after >3hrs on my TACX.
I love you guys. Seriously.