Sub 1300g "everyday" clinchers. Can it be done?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

chrism wrote:
sawyer wrote:No. Drag while freewheeling most certainly is relevant. It's one of the reasons I didn't get on with an AM classic rear hub. Think about it, who uses less power, the guy with the draggy hub or the guy with DA/Record hub?

Only if you take part in coasting races!

The object of any race is to pedal as little as possible (save energy). There are many situations (not just downhill) in races where you coast as long as possible in the draft. Less friction means you can wait longer before you must pedal again to maintain the gap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chrism

by chrism

I'm not convinced races are won or lost due to soft pedalling.
No scales on the trails

sawyer

by sawyer

chrism wrote:I'm not convinced races are won or lost due to soft pedalling.

i can understand the concept sounds ridiculous, but conserving energy in races could mean the difference between winning and losing, and certain in a sportif type event will help your time (a bit). I also just enjoy the freewheeling madness that a smooth low friction hub gives you.

runner999

by runner999

Who sells Extralite Ultraclimb Clinchers in the US?

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Might be able to order through:

http://www.sales.light-bikes.com/extral ... 0Wheelsets

Or, contact Sergio Riva @ Extralite directly.

studioriva@extralite.com

EDIT: Extralite's site notes they are "not available."

runner999

by runner999

Johnny Rad wrote:Might be able to order through:

http://www.sales.light-bikes.com/extral ... 0Wheelsets

Or, contact Sergio Riva @ Extralite directly.

studioriva@extralite.com

EDIT: Extralite's site notes they are "not available."

Thank You!

Leloby

by Leloby

Look at the price of this high-end 'prototype' rubbish. I mean, these companies may have spent loads of money on testing and claim to offer the lightest stuff but so do Zipp and their product is junk.

I have built countless pairs of Mavic Open Pro's on Record hubs and depending on how you do it (taking rider weight, frequency of use and road type into the equation) you can get a 1380-1500g set of bullet-proof wheels that you can fit and forget.

I have tried LOADS of carbon rimmed, low spoke count, ultralight combinations and NONE give you that re-assuring feeling when battering down a rutted descent in a punishing race.

Reynolds wheels suffer from spoke breakage - Lightweight, the same. Zipp are expensive junk and factory-builts are for sponsored teams. Its all a big con. And, in the case of a friend of mine - it can nearly cost your life! (Stratus DV UL spoke breakage). So what if they fix them under warranty?

Get a set of decent - time-proven components together ie: 32h Ambrosio Excellence or Open Pro / Reflex in 32h and lace them up with Record hubs with Sapim Lazers and you won't look back. You will, however always lust after lighter, more problematic hoops so you'd better either get them to satisfy your lust and use them sparingly or get some medical help for your obsession.

Uber-light wheels are like beautiful ladies. They cost a king's ransom and you wish you had a rougher version when riding them. (Sorry!)
Last edited by Leloby on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morpeth

by Morpeth

^^^^ good post :-)

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

You have some points but it's a bit extreme. If it's all a big con, we all should be back riding on box rims ? No thanks.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

dont knock box rims strob :wink:
tikka
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

hehe I am not knocking them. But I don't want to ride just that either!

Leloby

by Leloby

The box sections are still used - check the Paris-Roubaix this year and see if you can spot them. Rasmussen was using 28h GP4's on DuraAce hubs a few years ago.

But I'm talking about easily available rims here. I got a load of Rigida rims in recently and they weigh a fair bit less than the claims. They also build up really tough AND, theres a beautiful lady on their website.

Well.....shes not bad althought she looks like shes got a bit of a moustache. Probably a mountain biker. Or a lesbian.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Figure this topic is worth a gravedig (and has been added to the Road Index), as it's still relevant.

And stuff has improved from when the last posts were made.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

all the haters are going to cry, but try a set of mad fiber wheels. no weight limit and lighter then 1300gm as clinchers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Instead of posting a completely new topic, I thought I might get my questions answered here.

77-78 kgs, sprinter kinda guy, looking for a wheelset that can be used for climbing, but also sturdy enough to be used for training.

Would like to keep it sub 1300 grams, and already have an option that involves:
Tune Mig45/Mag170 hubs
Sapim CX spokes - 24/28
Criterium rims - looks like a Kinlin XR200

Just below 600 euros.

I want to keep it clincher, as I never got around to being a fan of tubulars.

So my questions are:
1. I read something about Stan Notubes had some failure issues when used as clincher - anybody can confirm this? Or would that be a good rim as well?

2. Should I go with a 24/28 option due to my weight/power? Or can I go lower than that?

3. What other hubs are similar to the Tune Mig45/Mag170 in terms of weight/durability?

4. Would there be any idea in taking a rim with a slighty higher profile, such as a Kinlin XR270, which should be stiffer, and then go with a lower spokecount?

I had a set of Dura Ace C24 clinchers that were good. A tad flexy under load, but worked good for climbing.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/