Looking for Training tips for sub 5 hour century

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

smallfish101

by smallfish101

Tippster, there are a few things to think about. Are you doing this century as a group ride or as a solo effort. There will be huge differences in the requirements. What is the course like - flat, undulating or hilly?
From what you say, you have what it takes physically to accomplish your goal. You need to average 20 mph for 5 hrs. This is not difficult especially in a group. I am not being offensive when I say that your brain needs as much training as your legs. You need to believe that you can do this.
However, you will also need to do some long rides - preferably between 50 and 60 miles. Do not concern yourself with doing the 100 - that will take care of itself. Just a 3 hr ride with some hard effort - increasing the effort over the weeks -Also do not go on a diet to lose weight. As a couple of the others have said, this will take care of itself. Likewise the body fat issue ( a non-event in relevance ) With the riding you are doing at present you do not need to "build up slowly". With cycling, unlike running, the body recovers very quickly. Just get out and put in some long weekend miles when you can. And Good Luck.
GO HARD OR GO HOME

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

I plan to do the century solo. Flat (if possible), but more likely undulating. I'm new to cycling (18 months) and new to the area I'm in. I'm varying my route to and from work to find roads with good surfaces, that are flat and not too much traffic lights, roundabouts etc.

I've got the spare time (longer commute) to do all the training necessary to succeed. My plan is to do 25 miles each way to work and back monday to friday to build core fitness (for 18 months I've been doing 13.5miles each way). Main aim here being to vary between slow (16mph avg) and medium pace (18mph average) and concentrate on technique on the bike - getting power through the wheels in the most efficient way possible - breathing - experimenting with cadence - etc etc. I've got a HRM and power kit arriving Thu / Fri this week and my job involves looking at data so, the feedback from the HRM and power unit will be helpful.

Once or twice a week (I think I'll listen to the feedback my body gives me), I'll go for a longer ride, starting at 40miles and extending by 7% a week. 1 week slow pace (16mph avg), 1 week medium pace (18mph), 1 week fast pace (20mph avg), next week extend the milage by 7% and repeat the pattern.

If things go really well I'll try for the century in June. But the limiting factor will be my bodies response to training. I plan to be flexible in my training according to the feedback my body gives me.

Feedback from guys here has been helpful (thanks guys!). I've also ordered some books on HRM training, long distance cycling and sports nutrition.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

big fellow

by big fellow

sounds like a sensible plan there tippster

there are a few century programs you could probably track down on the net as well if you want some specific guidance

good luck with it!

:wink:

Oswald

by Oswald

I often do group rides at about 33km/h for up to 120km... So I don't think 160km at that pace would be a problem for me...

But solo? And after only 18months of riding? Respect if you can do that...

Although the terrain in Belgium isn't really flat, but still... I wouldn't be able to do it solo...

Tippster

by Tippster

Oswald wrote:I often do group rides at about 33km/h for up to 120km... So I don't think 160km at that pace would be a problem for me...

But solo? And after only 18months of riding? Respect if you can do that...

Although the terrain in Belgium isn't really flat, but still... I wouldn't be able to do it solo...

I can only estimate my milage over the last 18 months. My cyclocomputer says 8k miles. However, the lamp on my bike (lupine nightmare) stops the signal to my cyclocomputer. Oct - Mar, I'm riding with my lamp on to and from work. I estimate somewhere between 10k and 12k miles (over 18 months). 90% road 10% off-road.

I'm certain I'll achieve the century. Whether it turns out to be a sub 6 or sub 5 hour, will depend on how my body responded to training

Cyco

by Cyco

With this increase in training load, remember to get in some good stretching sessions or there could be the risk of longer term injuries.

A couple of visits to some local yoga classes can also help show up if you are favoring one side or the other - from my experence find one that teaches the Iyengar style.

Massage can also be of help.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Tippster

by Tippster

Cyco wrote:With this increase in training load, remember to get in some good stretching sessions or there could be the risk of longer term injuries.

A couple of visits to some local yoga classes can also help show up if you are favoring one side or the other - from my experence find one that teaches the Iyengar style.

Massage can also be of help.

Funny you say that. I went for (what is for me) a longer ride last night 28 miles. Managed to average 19.2mph. Really cool piece of dual carriage way which boosted my ego cruising at 28mph. Road surface was excellent and wind assisted.

About 1/2 way through my ride I caught up a roadie (I'm riding a mtb with slicks). drafting behind him on the uphill sections, I really noticed the bend in his back, leaning to his left side a lot.

I have now started to take stretching seriously, thanks for the tip!

climbingcue

by climbingcue

A sub 5hr century is also one of my goals this year... At 1st I would like to do it in a club ride that is flat, after doing that I will see if I want to try it on my own... I think with a group it should not be that bad at all...

PNuT

by PNuT

Tippster wrote:I'd like to achieve a sub 5 hour 100 miles on road, before Nov 7th 2005.

I'm 5' 8'', 172lbs and 30 years old. Body Fat between 12.6% (immediately after a ride) and 14.7% (first thing in the morning).

I've been cycling for just 18 months now. I ride 27 miles a day (mon - fri)as a commute to work and back (13.5 miles each way).

Sprinting to work, I achieve an average just over 20mph. Quite a bit of traffic and lights and roundabouts. I cruise reasonably comfortably at 23mph. When sprinting across roundabouts (20 sec burst) I max 34.7mph on the flat.

I'm thinking on targeting various areas:
(1) get my own weight down. (Eat more healthy.)
(2) get my body fat % down to 8% (not sure what level is still healthy?)
(3) increasing endurance (longer slower rides?)
(4) increasing my mileage (not sure how to quickly to increase?)

My only exercise currently is cycling (also doing an office job). I can't see myself going down the gym regularly (I'll get bored), but I could put up with an hours badmington twice a week.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

enter the e2/100 :wink: :wink: :wink: a TT bike would also be an advantage

ive done 3.58 on there so its quick enuff :wink:

Tippster

by Tippster

Why do these events start at 5am?

even at 10mph you'd be done by 3pm!!!

Thanks for the tip about e2 100. If I do an organised event, I tmay be easier than getting a non-cycling friend to sort out energy drink top-ups along the way.

Now got a Polar 725 and power kit. Still awaiting the IR connection for my PC. My max HR surprised me 198 and I'm 30 years old. The polar estimated VO2 max was 60 - based on polar "fitness test". Putts me in the top band for fitness for my age group.

I may repeat the max HR test in a gym rather than on the road. My best guess is that my true cycling max HR is between 200 and 202. When I hit 198, I wasn't yet at the falling off the bike stage. Safer I think to test in a static bike in a gym.

Seems to be two suggested training regimes. every other day off (with cycling replaced with upper body weight training or Zone 1 cycling) and one day off a week.

Learning a bit more as I go along, reading various books on training.

PNuT

by PNuT

Tippster wrote:Why do these events start at 5am?

thats first rider.... with a full field the last rider wont start untill 7 am & the roads have quite strict local regulations as to what time the last rider must be off the a14/a11

Tippster

by Tippster

PNuT wrote:
Tippster wrote:Why do these events start at 5am?

thats first rider.... with a full field the last rider wont start untill 7 am & the roads have quite strict local regulations as to what time the last rider must be off the a14/a11

That makes I bit more sence.