New wheels FFWD!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Amadeus

by Amadeus

No not the same. There is a little difference in shape there where the spokes are changing from round to bladed Thread is rolled on both Sapim CX-Ray and DT Aerolite weight is almost same. But the steel Sapim uses is 1800nm and DT uses a strength of 1200nm.

DT Aerolite is a very good spoke (since they solved the problem with their widened elbow) .... But Sapim CX-Ray is just better because of the tougher steel.

For heavier riders, sprinters and crit racers I would recommend the Sapim CX-Ray .... But as I wrote already there is nothing wrong with the DT Aerolite. DT is a good spoke also. Only Sapim is stronger.
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
GIOS "New" Carbon Ultra 2006 Campa Record+Special parts.
GIOS "New" A90 2008 Campa Record+Special parts. My winter and vacation bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bontempi

by bontempi

Thanks Amadeus.
I don't think heavy racers will go for such a lightweight climbing wheelset as this FFWD F2R set. So, their choice for DT Aerolites ain't that bad after all.

In my opinion, the set with DT 190 ceramic hubs, around 1000 grams for the set, is a good choice. I'm 70 kilos, so that should not be a problem at all.

I like the price (at 1800 Euro it's better than Zipp and Campagnolo, and as a bonus you get ceramic bearings!) and I like the servicability (no hidden nipples, standard hubs and spokes).

micky

by micky

bontempi wrote:I like the price (at 1800 Euro it's better than Zipp and Campagnolo, and as a bonus you get ceramic bearings!)

It's cool that they have DT190 hubs but actually for that price (1800euro) Id go for the Bora.

As once Adrien said, most of hubs nowdays are good enough as quality so I wouldn't pay more than 1000euro for a wheelset using gigantex rims (nothing against them just thinking it would be overpriced).

bontempi

by bontempi

Micky, I have e-mailed FFWD and they told me that none of the FFWD rims were (ever) made by Gigantex.
Actually, I compare these F2R's with Hyperon, not with Bora.
The F5R would compare with Bora, and starts at 998 Euro.
But I'm looking for a lightweight wheelset now.

micky

by micky

Bontempi, that's interesting if its not made by Gigantex.
I wonder then who's making them or anyway what supplier they have.

fatsoontheloose

by fatsoontheloose

I once received a catalogue for a complete bike, which includes FFWD wheels. Beside each bike component, they would list the maker. Such as for the front deraileur FD-7800 -- shimano. For the FFWD wheels, they listed -- step.

I tried google-ing , but couldn't find anything. Anyone knows?

causcasian_asian

by causcasian_asian

STEP is simply a trading agent for FFWD

Amadeus

by Amadeus

Well well my e-mail and fax to FFWD in which I ask who made these rims is not answered...

So I called them but they are closed. I try in the new year Curious as I am about who's the manufacturer of the rims.....

For now I believe they are Gigantex rims…… and overpriced….

To Bontempi:
I never intended to write that DT Aerolite was a bad choice for the spokes.
I just wanted to point out that IMHO it is second best and I would build them with Sapim CX-Ray for the reason I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Furthermore: Trust me a lot of heavy riders buy light climbing wheels (like myself) You must know that for a lot of riders it is more easy to loose weight on their bikes then it is to loose weight on their body.
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!

GeEk

by GeEk

I found this picture on the website of Maarten Nijland, who is using them for cyclocross.

For me, the rim looks like Corima Aeros...

:wink:

Amadeus

by Amadeus

The rims on the FFWD website are definitely not Corima Aero!

The rim in the picture shown does not look like one of the rims on the FFWD website ... could be rebadging.

GeEk

by GeEk

Amadeus wrote:The rims on the FFWD website are definitely not Corima Aero!

I agree with you. The wheels on the FFWD website have a 3K surface (like the Gigantex).
But the wheels of Maarten Nijland have a 12K surface, like the Corimas or the newer Mavic Cosmic.

I would like to have a set FFWD-weheels for cyclocross, but I would prefer a "Gigantex-Styl"-rim...

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

maarten nijland is sponsored by ffwd and lives cloth to them, so i suppose he got some different prototypes for testing, as well as different wave styles. he has wheels with 38 mm and 50 mm rims as well as dt hubs and their own hubs(probably by novatec?).

Amadeus

by Amadeus

FFWD contacted me per e-mail and promised some answers.
Something went wrong in earlier communication I believe.

So I think that in short time we will know more!

I keep you posted!

IMHO it is a good sign that FFWD reacts to what is said on this forum.
Seems to be a serious wheel assembler, that really makes an effort to inform us about his product.

GeEk

by GeEk

Amadeus wrote:FFWD contacted me per e-mail and promised some answers.
Something went wrong in earlier communication I believe.

So I think that in short time we will know more!

I keep you posted!

IMHO it is a good sign that FFWD reacts to what is said on this forum.
Seems to be a serious wheel assembler, that really makes an effort to inform us about his product.

Hopefully you will receive an answer soon. I'm very interested which rims they use.
For me, the FFWD F4C seem to be the wheelset I'm searching for cyclocross (DT-Swiss hubs, external brass nipples, 24/28 spokes...). But I've made some bad experience with Corima rims in cyclocross and so I hope that FFWD don't use them for their wheels...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

they are for sure no corima rims.
i'm having the same idea for the next few cross wheels. external nipples, high rim for a good price at mavic reflex weight, holds up well as far as i know from heule and nijland, 24/28 hole available(20 is simply not enough for a cross front wheel).