Cannondale CAA7 Optimo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

I changed my mind again, now I'm looking at the R3000 and R5000, either complete bike or frameset. The frameset is pretty light, 1096g, not the lightest, but from what I hear it's very stilff and has a lifetime warrenty, so it's lite enough. But what do you guys think about it?

Also, should I go with there integreted BB Crankset, or get the standard BB? Does anyone have those cranks, BB and weighed them? There are claimed at 660g, so 75g less then new Dura ace if correct. Hows the stiffness on them, and do they take standard 130 bcd chain rings? And what about durability, anyone have problems with there cranks or BB, and what do you do if something does happen?

Thanks for the help.

drew

by drew

I have 03 R3000 and like i said i really like it, my team mate rides an 03 R5000 with integrated BB, had problems with it and took 3 weeks for a replacement. Of course nothing else fits either. As much as I like C'dales their aftermarket service aint the best. Simoni has a super lite crank with gold rings for the Giro is this available? Bolt pattern is 130 yes.

Stiffness? not lab tested but buddy said no noticable difference between his Duraace and C'dale

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drew

by drew

When are CAAD 8's available?

I know 2 people who are chomping at the bit for them :D

Superlite

by Superlite

What do you mean he had problems, what kind? Was in manufacturers defects or are there cranks, and BB just crappy. How many miles did he get on them before they crapped out?

The gold chainrings are standard for 04 SI cranks, and the CAAD 8, if it comes out, not until next year, Fall 04 or Winter 05 at earliest.

Plus I had a friend go to interbike and spoke to Simone about the CAAD 8, from his impressions he didn't really like it that much, to flexy.

drew

by drew

No probs with crank but BB kept coming loose. Tried tightening, thread tape, refacing frame etc but always play. Sent it back and took 3 weeks for replacement. Fine now though. Have to guess at miles but way less than 1000. needs lots of TLC to keep smooth, but if you are used to duraace in the wet then its no big deal.

CAAD 8 too flexy for a 125 lb guy HOLY CRAP, I know he puts out 400 watts but thats not good.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I have a saeco team bike (there are some pics somewhere below) and I haven't had any problems with the crank or bb. A buddy of mine had a caad 6, and one of the bearings froze on him, but it was easily replaced and the bearing problem was taken care of by cannondale. The cranks are much stiffer than '03 DA, can't say about '04, and the cranks, bb and rings are lighter for 04' on the C'dale as well. Besides the stiffness, the best thing about the cranks is the q-factor. Shimano (which I hate, but i digress) has a pretty bad q-angle, not as good as campy. The c'dale cranks have and even lower q-angle than campy. You weigh like 130 if I'm not mistaken, and ride about a 53, so the q-angle might be better for you. I'm just over 6' and weigh 150, and the cranks are the most comfy I've ridden.

Superlite

by Superlite

How many miles do you have on your cranks?

Tsielio

by Tsielio

my best bike ever...
crankset super!
i used it 1,5 years in competition
www.vanaelbroeck.com
he weighed only 6,8kg (limit) but I could make him a lot lighter

go for it!

ciaoooooooooooooo

Superlite

by Superlite

But how many miles, I do around 12000 a year so are they going to last more than one season?

Tsielio

by Tsielio

mine about 30000km in 1,5 year (in the rainy country belgium)
still great
went to the worlds in hamilton with it

it isn't a bike for 8 years of course...

Superlite

by Superlite

30000 km eh, and still strong? Any problems at all? How often do you have to adjust it? Is it hard to do?

And how long the chain rings last, got around 6,000 miles before mine went to crap. They take standard 130bcd, or do I need to order them from cannondale, and how much are they?

Yeah, i wouldn't expect it to last that long, besides I'd probley sell after 2 seasons, 3 pushing it.

You went to worlds, how did you place?

Thanks.

Tsielio

by Tsielio

41st in the junior race, it was my first year in the junior category
i was in the main peloton but i'm no good in sprints with a big group

i have never had to adjust anything till 2 days before the championship! (we trained a lot in the rain and the bikes weren't well cleaned) (the championship was the last time I rode the bike)

i went to a cannondale shop and they changed the bearings, i even didnt have to pay!

go for that bike! its the best

ciao

Superlite

by Superlite

So I assume you had a mechanic do all of the adjustments? How often would he do them?

And how many miles, or km before the bearings had to be replaced?

Thanks again for all the info.

Tsielio

by Tsielio

no, my bottom bracket hasn't been adjust during 1,5 years...
once I had to retighten the bolds but that isn't that hard!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

How old are you? and how much you weigh? What size you ride?